NCl Sky vsNCL Pearl

jrs7306

Just took a cruise on the Pearl now booked on the Sky for a short w/e cruise. Loved the Pearl how does the Sky differ or is the same as the Pearl ,balcony cabins on both.

DH & I were on the Sky in '02, when we cruised to Alaska. I returned to it as the Pride of Aloha in '06.

The Pearl is a newer ship with more bells & whistles than the Sky. There is a bowling alley on the Pearl. I spent 14 nights, doing a Panama Canal cruise on the Pearl.

The Sky is adequate for weekend cruises.

We've been on and enjoyed both. The Pearl was a 7 day Alaska cruise that was pretty quiet, scenic, and relaxing. The Sky was a weekend (right around Halloween) cruise to the Bahamas that was a non-stop P-A-R-T-Y.

Both were great, but know that, at least for us, they were very different experiences. We do intend to repeat both though! :D

Sky vs Pearl is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes both are NCL but different class of ships. The sizes are quite different too. The Sky is a perfect ship for a small Bahamas cruise where you port every day. The Pearl is a great ship to have a few sea days on.

They Sky was not built by NCL. The ship was built for another cruise line that went bankrupt or something and NCL bought the ship. So NCL designers had nothing to do with the construction.

Sky is a lot smaller. How much smaller you ask? Well just soap the walls and spin when you take a shower. Thats the biggest thing that I actually noticed directly besides the obvious overall size. Oh and it has a nice multi-deck opening mid-ship, where the Jewel class ships only have a two deck opening. This is around the "front desk" area.

I've sailed the Sky several times and the Pearl only once but LOOOOVED the Pearl! I agree with the others - the Sky is smaller, but still not bad. We had issues with cleanliness (broken picture by the elevator the entire week and a package of gummy bears on the floor for 3 days straight - yuck) last time we were onboard but gave feedback after the cruise was over so hopefully that was remedied. AND that one time on the Sky was the only time we had cleanliness issues.

The bathrooms on the Pearl are far superior to the bathrooms on the Sky. It's a short cruise though so it'll still be great.

If memory serves me right - the buffet dining seemed to have more room to space everyone out on the Pearl than the Sky did, too.

Have cruised twice on the Sky (once when she was the Pride of Aloha); and once on the Pearl. As others have said, the Pearl is newer, and larger with more restaurants, bars, etc. The Sky is very nice too, but much smaller. I would sail the Sky again in a heartbeat, but prefer not to cruise the Bahmas.

Archived