Travel Agent versus Vacation Planner

gemde

We have always used our Vacation Planner (who we love) at Carnival, but I don't know about the ones at Princess. I assume they are all competent, but we do have a Travel agent that I like, also. Any pros or cons to either? Also, anything like the Carnival Early Saver Program, where you are guaranteed price drops?

We have always used our Vacation Planner (who we love) at Carnival, but I don't know about the ones at Princess. I assume they are all competent, but we do have a Travel agent that I like, also. Any pros or cons to either? Also, anything like the Carnival Early Saver Program, where you are guaranteed price drops?

My thought is that TA is your represents you when working with the cruise line. The vacation planner (either Princess or any other line) is an employee of the cruise line and is limited as to what they can do to help.

And, just to give the other perspective, we have used a Princess Cruise Planner for a few years now and couldn't be happier. We've used TAs, but - with the exception of the very first one we ever used - have never been fully satisfied with them, and usually end up more frustrated than anything.

But, I need to add that we have traveled quite a lot and tend to know what we want. We usually need little "help"; we're more interested in someone who can help facilitate what we already know we want, and answer questions when we have them. We also tend to be rather "type A" about our vacation plans; that is, we like to be in control. We have been disappointed more often than not when our TA knew less about the cruise, ship, itinerary, ports, amenities, final payment dates, etc., than we did and, worse still, failed to stay on top of these things. We usually feel like we have to constantly keep on top of TAs, whereas we have always had the exact opposite experience with our Cruise Planner (though, admittedly, your mileage may vary.) ;)

For us, it's worth forgoing what has, in our experience, been a modest OBC or cheap bottle of champagne to have the control we like and - more importantly - the confidence that our Cruise Planner is on top of price reductions, itinerary changes, payment dates, etc.

Don't know if that helps, but I have nothing but positive things to say about our Princess Cruise Planner.

Oh, and no, I do not work for Princess and do not even own Carnival stock. :D Just sharing our personal experience. Hope it helps.

I have to say the exact thing as 5:00 Somewhere. We never use a TA; the bottle of White Zinfandel is not appreciated and I have always found the Princess customer service to be excellent. We always pick our cabin and refuse upgrades. We got a Move Over offer that had it gone to a TA, I'm not sure we would have received in time to take advantage (it came on a weekend direct to my email and I'm sure the TA was not working and has better clients).

Also the CC Boards are fantastic about letting you know about price drops so you can take advantage of them.

IMO.

Booking with a Vacation Planner is like paying manufacturer's suggested retail price for a cruise. Booking with a TA specializing in Princess can save you 10-20% for the exact same thing as a Vacation Planner would book for you, plus perks such as OBC, dinner in a specialty restaurant, and/or a bottle of wine (which you can turn in for OBC if you don't want it), etc. I have complete control over my booking and am saving money. Hard not to like/prefer using a TA.

i used a princess vacation planner once--she had never been on a ship. if she had been experienced i may have stuck with it.

i am lucky after years of searching to have found a good ta. yes, i do get obc (sometimes not a lot), but what i like the most is the reduced cruise price.

I have to say the exact thing as 5:00 Somewhere. We never use a TA; the bottle of White Zinfandel is not appreciated and I have always found the Princess customer service to be excellent. We always pick our cabin and refuse upgrades. We got a Move Over offer that had it gone to a TA, I'm not sure we would have received in time to take advantage (it came on a weekend direct to my email and I'm sure the TA was not working and has better clients).

Also the CC Boards are fantastic about letting you know about price drops so you can take advantage of them.

IMO.

It's nice to hear that Princess has given you good service. I, too,think their customer service is really good. I guess if I had checked with several TA's and all they were offering was a bottle of White Zinfandel and no price different I might stay booking with Princess. Fortunately for me, I was referred to an excellent TA who not only has given me a bottle of wine and onboard credit for my next two cruises but saved me $900 and $400 off the price I would have paid to book directly with Princess. It does pay to ask your friends, people on your roll call (to email you directly of course), etc for referrals to really good TA's. It is true there are many who don't offer much if any difference in price but there are alot that do.

I've never felt I didn't have control over my booking with my TA. As an example I sent her an email last night 7pm her time and she responded within 5 minutes. Can't beat that for service.

Booking with a Vacation Planner is like paying manufacturer's suggested retail price for a cruise. Booking with a TA specializing in Princess can save you 10-20% for the exact same thing as a Vacation Planner would book for you, plus perks such as OBC, dinner in a specialty restaurant, and/or a bottle of wine (which you can turn in for OBC if you don't want it), etc. I have complete control over my booking and am saving money. Hard not to like/prefer using a TA.

Pam, how do you turn in the bottle of wine for obc? Do you just go to the Pursers desk?

i'm not pam, but i brought the card that was in my room to the pursers desk and they credited my account.
Thanks for answering Michelle's question for me. You're absolutely correct. When a TA gives you "a bottle of wine", it's a voucher you can either give to your waitstaff towards a bottle of wine in the dining room, restaurant or buffet, or turn in at the Passenger Services Desk. :)

I prefer a TA. I currently have a fantastic one who really looks out for me. When my mom and I did our first cruise after my dad, she made it very special by sending us chocolate covered strawberries and called us wecgotbback. She always calls me before final payment is de, a couple of days before I leave, and te day after I gt ack. Please she gets me good deal, looks into reduced fares, and onboard credit. Plus I like having a face to go with a name. And she one block from where I live.

We have used both , the last two cruise we used the vacation planner, have been very happy with the service. I did not pay more , I watched for the promotions and booked then and my planner was very knowledgeable about the ship I would be sailing on , and the location of the cabin I wanted and the balcony size etc. The travel agent I use to have is no longer doing business do to personal reasons , so I tried the vacation planner and it like it . Of coarse I do my research and watch prices, then call the vacation planner when I am ready to book.

Cori

My family and I have done over 20 cruises with one TA at an on-line agency. I have always gotten what I want and my price is always from better than Princess to much better than Princess. She works hard for us -- I have one DD on a restrictive budget but the TA found just what she wanted.

I have referred many people to this TA whom I now consider a friend more than just a TA. When you find a really good TA who cares for your vacation, it is worth much. Keep trying until you find the agent that fits your style.

i'm not pam, but i brought the card that was in my room to the pursers desk and they credited my account.

Thanks for answering Michelle's question for me. You're absolutely correct. When a TA gives you "a bottle of wine", it's a voucher you can either give to your waitstaff towards a bottle of wine in the dining room, restaurant or buffet, or turn in at the Passenger Services Desk. :)

Thanks to both of you.:)

We have used both , the last two cruise we used the vacation planner, have been very happy with the service. I did not pay more , I watched for the promotions and booked then and my planner was very knowledgeable about the ship I would be sailing on , and the location of the cabin I wanted and the balcony size etc. The travel agent I use to have is no longer doing business do to personal reasons , so I tried the vacation planner and it like it . Of coarse I do my research and watch prices, then call the vacation planner when I am ready to book.

Cori

Sounds like you have found what works for you. That's great. It is about what we are all comfortable with regardless of what others might think. Howeve, you wouldn't pay more booking through Princess than you would through a TA. Princess prices are the base line prices. Many travel agents will come in at the same or marginally lower than Princess. That was my experience in booking several Princess cruises. So, I did like you and continued to book through Princess or a Princess planner. Once I was referred to a really good TA by Pam I was amazed at how much I could save from Princess prices. Plus, I never felt like I lost control of my booking. I've read that comment many times and felt that way myself as I can be a type A personality. I now have a TA that is "open" as many hours as Princess is and she is extremely responsive. I can't imagine booking with a cruiseline directly again.

Archived