Oasis/Allure ports change

I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times. I'm curious why RCCL has not considered changing ports on the oasis and allure. I know some ports can't handle the size but I think there are some new re built ones that now can. I know it would be a big task to tender also but I would endure a longer wait to get a different port. Just curious.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times. I'm curious why RCCL has not considered changing ports on the oasis and allure. I know some ports can't handle the size but I think there are some new re built ones that now can. I know it would be a big task to tender also but I would endure a longer wait to get a different port. Just curious.

It has been discussed before so I would suggest a search to find these most informative threads.

The fact that they haven't changed their ports of call shouldn't be taken as evidence that they haven't considered doing so, only that, if they have considered it, they haven't been convinced that doing so would be in their best interest.

Most of the ports that these two ships visit are among the most popular especially for first time cruisers who are a primary target of RCI. As other ports build an infrastructure that can accommodate these two ships, RCI may evaluate their appeal and, if it appears attractive enough, adjust their itineraries to include them. However, it is hard to think of ports that would hold more appeal to the most cruisers than the ones they currently visit. Realize also that the ships are still considered to be a destination unto themselves and so finding different ports to visit may not be high on their list of priorities. When the Sunshine project ships debut, those who have become tired of the Oasis and Allure and their itineraries may have new ports to investigate. In the meantime there are a number of other RCI ships who can satisfy anyone looking to visit other Caribbean destinations.

Realize also that the ships are still considered to be a destination unto themselves and so finding different ports to visit may not be high on their list of priorities.

And that is probably the key reason. Some who have been on the Oasis and Allure several times already are old salts that have been around the block and the ship is the attraction, not the ports. I'm going on ALLURE in December and hitting the exact same ports (except Labadee) that I did last year on Celebrity Millennium. Personally I don't even like Cozumel or Falmouth, so I won't even leave the ship when she is docked.

I'm curious why RCCL has not considered changing ports on the oasis and allure.... I know it would be a big task to tender also but I would endure a longer wait to get a different port.

Allure and Oasis are the destination. The ship is what draws people in, not the ports. As long as they are the largest ships in the world, they could sail around in a circle and people would still pay to cruise.

And you might be the only one who would wait while they tender 5400 passengers. It would be, quite simply, a nightmare.

Once other countries of destination realize the revenue they are losing with the Allure or Oasis having the inability to visit them, then maybe they too will jump on the bandwagon and build a dock to intice the ships to seek making them a Port of Call.

We shall sea!

Safe travels

Sue and crew

Allure and Oasis are the destination. The ship is what draws people in, not the ports. As long as they are the largest ships in the world, they could sail around in a circle and people would still pay to cruise.

Funny but true!

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't these ships docked at St. Kitts and at Costa Maya at least once or twice, so it can be done? If so, wouldn't it be great if they would permanently swap out a port on their current itinerary for one of these?

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't these ships docked at St. Kitts and at Costa Maya at least once or twice, so it can be done? If so, wouldn't it be great if they would permanently swap out a port on their current itinerary for one of these?

It might be, but do you seriously believe that either St.Kitts or Costa Maya would be a bigger draw than the ports these ships currently visit? For veteran cruisers the ships are still going to be the destination for some time, and for newbies, customer awareness of places such as St.Kitts and Costa Maya is remarkably low.

Until bookings on these two ships begin to drop significantly I don't think RCI will do anything to change what is a pretty successful formula, much as we might wish that they do so. Making a permanent change is problematic, but perhaps a very occasional substitution of another port might permit them to gauge its suitability. Wishing for anything more than that is probably not very realistic.

It might be, but do you seriously believe that either St.Kitts or Costa Maya would be a bigger draw than the ports these ships currently visit? For veteran cruisers the ships are still going to be the destination for some time, and for newbies, customer awareness of places such as St.Kitts and Costa Maya is remarkably low.

Until bookings on these two ships begin to drop significantly I don't think RCI will do anything to change what is a pretty successful formula, much as we might wish that they do so. Making a permanent change is problematic, but perhaps a very occasional substitution of another port might permit them to gauge its suitability. Wishing for anything more than that is probably not very realistic.

For me, it would be a bigger draw. I haven't been to either place, but I have been to every port on the Western/Eastern itineraries multiple times to the point of boredom with them. I would much rather go to St. Kitts than Nassau, or Costa Maya than Jamaica or Cozumel.

While the ship might be the intended destination, for me, it is still nice to be able to get off the ship and walk around someplace new for a few hours.

Twice, I actually canceled a cruise on Oasis and switched to another ship in order to have some new-to-us ports on the itinerary.

Wishing for something might not make it a reality, but there's no harm in voicing these wishes even if it may never come to fruition because it's not cost effective for RCI.

We did Costa Maya on the Allure Inaugural... same sh** different port IMO

I am one of those who would be more than happy for the big girls to sail to Labadee and sit there for the week while I enjoy the beach during the day and the ship at night... perfect itinerary to me!

And I am NOT one of those who would tender them... it was bad enough when a group of about 5 people in front of me couldn't figure out how to step on the escalator to get down to ping out.... lol

Simple answer, RCCL makes more money with these itineraries. These itineraries are fairly short and RCCL have the routes and speed optimized to lower fuel costs. Everyone should remember that most of the passengers are still first time cruisers and they haven't been to these ports. It's too bad, but RCCL doesn't care that many of the veteran crusiers are really bored with these ports. As long as Oasis/Alure continue to sail full and command a premium price, you should expext things to remain the same. Hopefully the Sunshine ships will sail someplace more interesting than the Oasis ports

For me, it would be a bigger draw. I haven't been to either place, but I have been to every port on the Western/Eastern itineraries multiple times to the point of boredom with them. I would much rather go to St. Kitts than Nassau, or Costa Maya than Jamaica or Cozumel.

While the ship might be the intended destination, for me, it is still nice to be able to get off the ship and walk around someplace new for a few hours.

Twice, I actually canceled a cruise on Oasis and switched to another ship in order to have some new-to-us ports on the itinerary.

Wishing for something might not make it a reality, but there's no harm in voicing these wishes even if it may never come to fruition because it's not cost effective for RCI.

We avoid the same 'ol same 'ol, and the larger ships whenever possible.

St. Kitts is one of our favorite places - so I would put any ship that does it high on the consideration list when it was time to book another cruise. Same with Costa Maya. Right now, the big ones don't even make it into consideration. But I will still take Cozumel. ;)

Even better - hit some of the real goodies along with St. Kitts: do Curacao, St. Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba, and I would have to be dragged off kicking and screaming. Even better - do it FROM FLORIDA!

Wendy

That's why nobody ever gets off the ships when they do stop

I am one of those who would be more than happy for the big girls to sail to Labadee and sit there for the week while I enjoy the beach during the day and the ship at night... perfect itinerary to me!

And I am NOT one of those who would tender them... it was bad enough when a group of about 5 people in front of me couldn't figure out how to step on the escalator to get down to ping out.... lol

Now here's an outstanding idea!!! I'd jump to book this!!!

That would be a nightmare itinerary for me!

That must be the reason for the ridiculously long line we were standing in when we were returning to Oasis in St. Maarten.

I hear you....while more people do seem to stay on the ship on the western route than the eastern....St Thomas and St Martin do a pretty good job of clearing those ships out.

Even better - hit some of the real goodies along with St. Kitts: do Curacao, St. Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba, and I would have to be dragged off kicking and screaming. Even better - do it FROM FLORIDA!

AMEN!! Although I do enjoy St Marteen, I am really sick & tired of the same places or the 7 day cruises. IMO, I'd rather do Coco Cay than Nassau. Why don't they build a dock like they did in Labadee? In the beginning, you used to have to tender into Labadee (I'm talking 8+ yrs ago).

AMEN!! Although I do enjoy St Marteen, I am really sick & tired of the same places or the 7 day cruises. IMO, I'd rather do Coco Cay than Nassau. Why don't they build a dock like they did in Labadee? In the beginning, you used to have to tender into Labadee (I'm talking 8+ yrs ago).

But there are also plenty of people who don't like being trapped at a private stop with nothing but beach activities. At least at Nassau people who want the beach Harv the option and those who prefer exploring or walking around town have that option also.

I wish they would replace Nassau with Labadee. It seems that it could easily fit into the Eastern schedule.

I don't think so. Labadee is on the northwest coast of Haiti. The only time Labadee seems to make eastern itineraries is on the 8 nighters.

Not sure but there are likely some very valid reasons, perhaps the same reasons that a dock hasn't been built at Grand Cayman. The ecology of the region may be threatened by such construction, or it could be that the agreement signed between RCCL and the government of the Bahamas doesn't permit it. If it were just a matter of building a dock there, it probably would have been done long ago.

If you are willing to be a little flexible in your schedule and invest a little effort in checking out the variety of itineraries they offer, you could likely find a number of sailings that don't go to the same places. St. Croix, Tortola, and Dominica are just a few less visited islands that RCI includes on some of their sailings. If you are willing to sail from San Juan several more distant destinations including Bonaire, Aruba and Curaçao are just a few more.

Archived