Amtrak Auto Train - On our way to the Freedom of the Seas

jcjrsmith

It is just about 11:15 PM and I am writing this as we travel to Florida to join the Freedom for a 7 day cruise. I am currently in Florence, South Carolina, waiting for the train to start moving again. We are on the Amtrak Auto-train and really enjoying it, but since we are in coach, I probably won't get much sleep tonight - too excited. We left Lorton, VA at 4:30 this afternoon, we had dinner at 7, and we should be in Sanford, Florida at 9:30 tomorrow.

We decided on the Auto Train after pricing out flights from Harrisburg, PA to Orlando, bag fees for four of us, and transportation to/from MCO to Port Canaveral. The train is a two hour drive from our house, and when we arrive we have just over an hour's drive to the port. Just over $1000 round trip for me, SWMBO, our two kids and our car. So far we are enjoying the trip.

If you are looking for an alternative to flying and are within a couple hours of Washington DC, try the auto train. Beats the heck out of driving too.

I have used the train many times, it is really much more cost effective for me. In Feb. we are on FOS and airfare from South Carolina is almost $400 plus baggage fees. Amtrak round trip is $108 and no baggage fees. It winds up being almost the same amount of time if you count layovers. The train is comfortable, they have WIFI and electrical outlets near the seats to recharge electronics. It really is a nice way to travel and see some of the towns in the US. The main drawback is there are not many choices for departure times.

We've used the auto train several times over the last few years (mostly to re-locate vehicles) between our Vermont and Florida houses), and it's been great - it saves us hundreds of miles and a full day of driving!

The process is simple - arrive at the station, unload carry on bag(s) from your vehicle (vehicles are numbered and photographed before being loaded onto carriers), check in, choose a dinner time (5, 7, or 9 pm), wait until boarding begins, settle in, and enjoy the ride!

The lounge car is open immediately and is very popular. There's a movie after dinner; coffee and tea are complimentary and always available.

The train arrives the next morning around 8:30/9 am. Have breakfast, detrain, wait for your vehicle number to be called, and you're off!

We took the Amtrak silver something on New Years Day having got off Carnival in Miami before joining QM2 on Jan 3 back to the UK.

The train was excellent, we booked a room with shower so all meals were included as well.

We would def do it again and the price is good compared to a flight from Miami to NY with baggage and also a room in NY for the night.

FYI

Our friends DW will not fly

So they got a rental car and drove to Pittsburgh area to catch this train.

Loaded the rental, and off they went.

Did not want to damage their car, not saying it would be, but, wanted to make sure.

Drove the rental, and went to Disney that trip.

Got back on the train, and took it back.

They enjoyed the trip.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

FYI

Our friends DW will not fly

So they got a rental car and drove to Pittsburgh area to catch this train.

Loaded the rental, and off they went.

Did not want to damage their car, not saying it would be, but, wanted to make sure.

Drove the rental, and went to Disney that trip.

Got back on the train, and took it back.

They enjoyed the trip.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

The Auto Train does not go to Pittsburgh. It only travels between Lorton, Va. and Sanford, Fl. Lorton,Va. is just south of Washington, D.C.

It is just about 11:15 PM and I am writing this as we travel to Florida to join the Freedom for a 7 day cruise. I am currently in Florence, South Carolina, waiting for the train to start moving again. We are on the Amtrak Auto-train and really enjoying it, but since we are in coach, I probably won't get much sleep tonight - too excited. We left Lorton, VA at 4:30 this afternoon, we had dinner at 7, and we should be in Sanford, Florida at 9:30 tomorrow.

We decided on the Auto Train after pricing out flights from Harrisburg, PA to Orlando, bag fees for four of us, and transportation to/from MCO to Port Canaveral. The train is a two hour drive from our house, and when we arrive we have just over an hour's drive to the port. Just over $1000 round trip for me, SWMBO, our two kids and our car. So far we are enjoying the trip.

If you are looking for an alternative to flying and are within a couple hours of Washington DC, try the auto train. Beats the heck out of driving too.

I have also used the Amtrak Auto Train. It was a great way to get to Florida for my Freedom of the Seas cruise. I live about 3 hours from the Auto Train station in Lorton, Va. so it is an easy drive and there was nothing better than arriving nice and refreshed from a good nights sleep and having my own vehicle to drive to Cape Canaveral for my cruise. With what the cost of flying is today this was a perfect and cost effective way to get to Florida. The cost for the train was less than $500 round trip, I did not have to rent a car or worry about shuttling from the Orlando airport to Cape Canaveral, I had transportation when I needed it, I did not have to worry about baggage fees, and did not have to rush to get off the ship at the end of the cruise or worry about catching a flight home.

I have used the train many times, it is really much more cost effective for me. In Feb. we are on FOS and airfare from South Carolina is almost $400 plus baggage fees. Amtrak round trip is $108 and no baggage fees. It winds up being almost the same amount of time if you count layovers. The train is comfortable, they have WIFI and electrical outlets near the seats to recharge electronics. It really is a nice way to travel and see some of the towns in the US. The main drawback is there are not many choices for departure times.

Hi Neighbor!! Where do you live in South Carolina; I am from Greenville. Never thought about the train. Where do I get information? Thanks

We have taken the Auto train 4 times to FL and back. The latest time was just this past Oct. We were gone for 18 days (Weekend in Orlando, 5 days at WDW and a 7 day FR cruise). We've done coach, roomette and bedroom. Love, love, love the bedroom. We slept really well in it. HATED the roomette-got almost no sleep. Coach is okay, especially for the return home since we have a 45 min drive to our house after we depart Lorton and can just go to bed when we get home if we need to.

I enjoy the Auto train as it's part of the vacation and we've met some great people. We've also met a few PITA ones too, just like everyday life.:rolleyes:

I also do not like to fly although I have every couple of years. We take the Amtrak Acela for our EX cruises. Love that train too. Nice, smooth ride.

The Auto Train does not go to Pittsburgh. It only travels between Lorton, Va. and Sanford, Fl. Lorton,Va. is just south of Washington, D.C.

Thanks for the corection

I guess I should of said traveled from Boardman Ohio, thru Pittsburgh to catch the train to take down.

Sorry for any mis-information.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

I just did a mock booking for 2 adults, coach seat, 1 car.

Total came to $750 round trip.

We are on the Freedom in 2013. We also booked the Contemporary at Disney for 4 nights prior to our cruise.

We are still undecided about travel.

It is less to fly to Orlando than $750.

But have to weigh in on all the other expenses when flying, or driving all the way down I-95.

Also, Amtrak would not let me see the $$ for a sleeper car until you purchase the seats, then you can upgrade.

It is something for us to sincerely consider.

We have taken the Auto train 4 times to FL and back. The latest time was just this past Oct. We were gone for 18 days (Weekend in Orlando, 5 days at WDW and a 7 day FR cruise). We've done coach, roomette and bedroom. Love, love, love the bedroom. We slept really well in it. HATED the roomette-got almost no sleep. Coach is okay, especially for the return home since we have a 45 min drive to our house after we depart Lorton and can just go to bed when we get home if we need to.

We are scheduled to take Amtrak from Indy to Baltimore next April for our EN repositioning cruise. It's a one night trip. We planned on booking the "roomette", but it sounds like it was a problem? Can you give more information about the issues you had with those accomodations? THanks in advance!

You can go further than just the step to book a date and train. Pick those and you see the seat fare. I have done a seat or two and prefer not too. Noisy at night, could not sleep and felt like a pretzel.

If you proceed on the Amtrak site, you will get to see the prices of all types of sleeper rooms. Not cheap but worth a look.

We are scheduled to take Amtrak from Indy to Baltimore next April for our EN repositioning cruise. It's a one night trip. We planned on booking the "roomette", but it sounds like it was a problem? Can you give more information about the issues you had with those accomodations? THanks in advance!

For us, the roomette was just too small. When the seats are set up during the day,it's great, but when the beds are set up, there is NO room. Also, the mattresses are thin and the beds are pretty small. The lower bunk was fine, but the upper is narrower and harder to get in and out of. The roomette on the Auto Train is different that other trains from what I've read. You really need to research too.

The main reason we couldn't sleep was because the beds are parallel with the train, we rolled side to side a lot. In the bedroom, the bunks are perpendicular to the train so no side to side issues and we slept great. The bunks are also larger in the bedroom.

The boards are really giving me grief tonight. I actually quoted you but it's coming up weird.

Thanks for the corection

I guess I should of said traveled from Boardman Ohio, thru Pittsburgh to catch the train to take down.

Sorry for any mis-information.

Safe travels

Sue and crew

No worries! :)

We are on the Freedom in 2013. We also booked the Contemporary at Disney for 4 nights prior to our cruise.

But have to weigh in on all the other expenses when flying, or driving all the way down I-95.

Also, Amtrak would not let me see the $$ for a sleeper car until you purchase the seats, then you can upgrade.

Here are a few of the expenses you will not have by using the Auto Train:

Airline baggage fees

Rental car expense

Food for fee on the airline (meals are included on the Auto Train)

Your fuel expense will be lower than driving the whole way

Less wear and tear on your vehicle (compared to driving the whole way)

These are just a few. You might come up with more.

Have fun choosing! :)

For us, the roomette was just too small. When the seats are set up during the day,it's great, but when the beds are set up, there is NO room. Also, the mattresses are thin and the beds are pretty small. The lower bunk was fine, but the upper is narrower and harder to get in and out of. The roomette on the Auto Train is different that other trains from what I've read. You really need to research too.

The main reason we couldn't sleep was because the beds are parallel with the train, we rolled side to side a lot. In the bedroom, the bunks are perpendicular to the train so no side to side issues and we slept great. The bunks are also larger in the bedroom.

The boards are really giving me grief tonight. I actually quoted you but it's coming up weird.

Thanks for the info! I'll do some more research to see how the roomettes differ between the Auto Train and a regular Amtrak passenger train. I thought the website pics showed the bunks as perpendicular to the train instead of parallel...in any event it will be a short night since we don't board in Indy until midnight!...thanks again

We usually fly ....but my family has taken the auto train twice...both times because we needed a car to drive up to Lake City to visit in-laws....then back down to go to Universal.

We got sleepers so we were quite comfortable. It is around 7 hours from Mass to Virginia, so sleepers were a must. I would not hesitate to take the train again. By the way both times we were in station by 7:30 and off train by 8:30...vehicle off, well that is a different story :eek:

You do not have to purchase tickets to find out price..after you put your dates in, press go, you will then be on the page with the coach price, there will be a blue bubble that says Buy Room....if you are using a tablet or phone make sure you go to full site not, not mobile site...hope this helps..:)

Archived