Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

I agree about the DL...I prefer that too...My cruises don't revolve around the cruise credits either...I cruised before RCI gave any recognition at all ;)

Especially the DL on the Freedom class. I think they had C&A when I started in 1997 but not many perks with it.

Hahaha! CC folks crack me up!! You can't buy this type of entertainment!:)

Anyway, seems like RCI is finally using their business sense...We'll get upgraded food (hope) so lose the cost for the luggage tags. I always have more than I need so it is somewhat of a waste.

I also sail with Carnival and have printed luggage tags for them...no big deal. I did see a great idea on the Carnival boards a while back--some people use the glossy printer paper for the tags...may work out just fine. I'm going to try that method later this month.;)

My next cruise with RCI is on the Grandeur and guess what, I actually booked a Grand Suite so as to have enough room for my teenage son...Glad I acted on an impulse to go for it!! I'm sure that my be my last acceptance of the traditional luggage tags...will probably save one of those.

Keep the crazy coming...Love it, Love it...This RCI board is hilarious!!!:)

That's where I got mine. Mine came with clear plastic wraps that have a little stretch to them. Did you have these fall off your luggage:eek:? I'm not seeing how that could happen unless you got the longer wraps-they came in 6 inch and 9 inch -I got the 6 inch.

Would like to hear your experience with this so I don't have it happen to me.

Just wondering-

Yes, those stretchy cords that attach the tag to the bag will break off. I've lost my D+ luggage tag that way. It went into the airport at check in and the bag came back without it because the tag gets caught on something, get's pulled hard, and the rubber thing pops. You need the zip ties from the hardware store to use as an alternative if you don't want to have the baggage handlers yank it off.

Gina

I don't know about that...there are a lot of people here that feel very strongly about their little paper luggage tags.

But no where near as many as I thought there would be. I really thought there would be a major uproar over this.

Gina

I think they are being penny wise and pound foolish. I don't buy the logic that its better than taking it out of the food budget. Feel free to adjust these numbers, but if it cost $10 per cabin per cruise for these tags, it would be a small portion of what food costs for 2-3 people per cabin per cruise.

Given how their goofy prices fluctate, nobody would notice $10 on a cruise fare except maybe for the few $249 cruises that are out there once in awhile. Maybe they should use their own precedent and just put a statement on their website like this: "Royal Caribbean reserves the right to add a surcharge to the price of your cruise when the cost of paper traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange exceeeds $45 per ton. "

Whats next eliminate gangways and throw down a rope?

Just for my own personal nosiness :o where did you find this? I have been searching the site and haven't spotted it.

Go to the "cruising power" link for travel agents at the bottom left corner of the RCI home page. Click it. The alert will show even without log in. Click and open it up to read it.

Gina

I think they are being penny wise and pound foolish. I don't buy the logic that its better than taking it out of the food budget.

Yeah, I don't think the luggage tag funds are being cycled back into the food budget.

I am anxiously awaiting my last set, ordered last week :(. Not a big deal, but they were so much fun to find in the mailbox, and putting them on our bags signified the end of the hateful packing task. I just Googled "cruise luggage tag holders"and found some clear plastic ones on a wedding/party favor site. I upgraded to the ones with "Live. Love. Cruise." printed on them and longer straps (to avoid folding them every time I use them) and paid less than $23 including shipping for five of them.

No big deal for me either. I can print out and laminate the tags for cheaper than they can probably print and mail them.

Maybe you should bring your own snacks as well. I'm sure that would save them money, too.

I think they are being penny wise and pound foolish. I don't buy the logic that its better than taking it out of the food budget. Feel free to adjust these numbers, but if it cost $10 per cabin per cruise for these tags, it would be a small portion of what food costs for 2-3 people per cabin per cruise.

Given how their goofy prices fluctate, nobody would notice $10 on a cruise fare except maybe for the few $249 cruises that are out there once in awhile. Maybe they should use their own precedent and just put a statement on their website like this: "Royal Caribbean reserves the right to add a surcharge to the price of your cruise when the cost of paper traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange exceeeds $45 per ton. "

Yeah, I don't think the luggage tag funds are being cycled back into the food budget.

People seem to have the opinion that every penny RCI finds a way to save is going to be given back to us in some other way. Maybe the cutback will simply go to increase RCI's profit margin. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But people should just see it for what it is.

And for the record, I would prefer to get the tags rather than make my own or deal with porters writing whatever cabin number on the tags that suit them. Pinnacle.... here I come.

No big deal for me either. I can print out and laminate the tags for cheaper than they can probably print and mail them.

I'm sure you can...What else can we do to save RCI $$'s :confused:

No biggie...you can use packing tape..or i suppose you can laminate them...it will bring out everyone's internal Martha Stewart!!:D

Too funny, the first thing I thought of is how these will become a creative outlet for many, myself included.:D

Since so many people want to make their own luggage tags, why don't they just keep the option of ordering them for the very few of us who seem to want to have them preprinted :confused:

Can you imagine the luggage guys trying to deal with all these handmade, bedazzled, glue-gunned, rick-racked luggage tags? It is going to slow them down just trying to find the room number in between all the sequins, fabric and tape.

Hahaha! CC folks crack me up!! You can't buy this type of entertainment!:)

Anyway, seems like RCI is finally using their business sense...We'll get upgraded food (hope) so lose the cost for the luggage tags.

That would be nice, but I suspect the savings will go toward RC's profit margin, not upgraded food!

I doubt the cost of printing luggage tags is anywhere near $10/cabin but for the sake of argument let's say it is. Take 1000 cabins x 22 ships x 52 weeks/year x $10 = over $11 million. An individual passenger might not notice $10/cruise, but you can bet the Royal notices $10million/year! Realistically it is probably closer to $1/cabin which is still over $1million/year in savings.

Me either.

Just think how many cruises people will book to get there now. All for free luggage tags. :rolleyes: :D

Gina

I'm wondering how long it will take for the suite and pinnacle folks to start complaining about how RCI is giving them a benefit that everyone else finds to be so trivial. They might just see it as insulting that RCI is giving them something that no one else seems to care about.;)

Thanks for the entertainment, lol! After yet another doctor appointment today, it was a welcome giggle.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, nor to discourage anyone from going for Pinnacle status -- we are not able to order the luggage tags for our cruise in September. --Please, no pity.:eek::)

Thanks for the entertainment, lol! After yet another doctor appointment today, it was a welcome giggle.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, nor to discourage anyone from going for Pinnacle status -- we are not able to order the luggage tags for our cruise in September. --Please, no pity.:eek::)

LOL...ok, we'll just laugh at you in that case.

And imagine the surge in suite bookings. Yes, this is another benefit to add to the list. ;)

Gina

here is the website to order the clear tag holders, which have had to do with Princess for a while now;

favorsbyserendipidy.com/luggagetags

They are also available at Amazon from the same supplier. Some people might prefer to use up Amazon credit or use 1 click ordering.

Gina

Can you imagine the luggage guys trying to deal with all these handmade, bedazzled, glue-gunned, rick-racked luggage tags? It is going to slow them down just trying to find the room number in between all the sequins, fabric and tape.

EXACTLY what i said a couple of hours ago......I imagine it will take longer to sort thru the luggage

Good idea,but I imagine now with people making their own tags,some will look the same,some very different...feel bad to the ones who have to sort thru the luggage.at least with the tags they gave us,they knew exactly what to look for.......

Archived