San Pedro or Long Beach for port stop - Grand Princess Coastal

MilliesMom

We are booked on a Coastal cruise on the Grand Princess for April 2014. The itinerary shows a port stop in Long Beach (not Los Angeles/San Pedro). We are doing a roundtrip out of San Francisco.

Does anyone know if Princess actually docks any of their ships in Long Beach?

Thanks.

We are booked on a Coastal cruise on the Grand Princess for April 2014. The itinerary shows a port stop in Long Beach (not Los Angeles/San Pedro). We are doing a roundtrip out of San Francisco.

Does anyone know if Princess actually docks any of their ships in Long Beach?

Thanks.

I see that it shows LB which would be new for Princess. The LB port is used by Carnival but apparently it's bring used for your cruise for an in-transit day in port. There's probably more to offer in LB & the pier is near the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I see that it shows LB which would be new for Princess. The LB port is used by Carnival but apparently it's bring used for your cruise for an in-transit day in port. There's probably more to offer in LB & the pier is near the Aquarium of the Pacific.

I think Astro has it right... Carnival owns Princess, so there would be no problem is using the dock... and there is much more to see from that area, including the Queen Mary and the shops at the port.

Fingers crossed that is what is happening ... that we will dock in Long Beach. We lived in Los Angeles for years, and love the Long Beach area especially the Aquarium.

Queen Mary and the shops are nice too, but the aquarium I'm sure would be top on our list. Last time we were there, the larakeets (may be wrong term for these birds) exhibit was there. One of the birds decided my husband was its favorite person. The bird rode all over the exhibit (it is a fenced in area) on Hal's shoulder. Finally one of the workers had to come take the bird off so that we could exit the exhibit. The aquarium itself is beautiful. Well worth going to.

Yes, it is a port stop from 7 am to 6 pm. I went back to our original reservations where we left from San Pedro and it does state Los Angeles/port of San Pedro.

Our cruise is the only one of this itinerary in April. I believe there are 2 in March. So it is unique for the Grand Princess out of San Francisco.

• 1 year later...

Curious also - we are booked on 7-day RT San Francisco on 15-March and itinerary shows "Los Angeles (long Beach), California ".

Looking to take cruise to Catalina, but not sure whether to look at booking from Long Beach, or San Pedro, or someplace else

Gary A

Curious also - we are booked on 7-day RT San Francisco on 15-March and itinerary shows "Los Angeles (long Beach), California ".

Looking to take cruise to Catalina, but not sure whether to look at booking from Long Beach, or San Pedro, or someplace else

Gary A

Princess does not use Long Beach.

They use San Pedro.

Its only 5 miles or so between the 2.

Gary A

Most Carnival Cruise Line Ships image-1723794-7299361 and some ships of the cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation arrive and depart from Long Beach. All other Cruise ships depart from the The Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

Here is a helpful link where the above statement came from

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/cruiscal.htm

Here is the link for Catalina Express

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/

Map

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+showing+port+of+Long+Beach+and+Port+of+Los+Angeles&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80dd37ae652ef523:0xd88f6472b07283a5,Port+of+Los+Angeles&gl=us&ei=BfThUo-YH8nsoATj0oLIAQ&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA

If you play a bit you can see both ports. Long Beach is to the east or right,

To my surprise, this year and I think it may have been the Grand also, a coastal actually stopped at Long Beach, not San Pedro. I saw its position thru Live Ship Maps and the bow cam visual and typed position confirmed it. I thought I was seeing an error, but it was actually there.

The Grand will be porting in San Pedro on April 11.

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2014%2F4%2F1

Google 'Long Beach port schedule' and 'San Pedrp port schedule'.

On rare occasions other CCL ships have ported in Long Beach in the past.

As I had remembered, the Grand was indeed berthed at Long Beach on October 22nd, California coastal.

Here is a link to the 2013 Long Beach Cruise ship schedule

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?CalendarName=longbeachcruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2013%2F10%2F1

They use San Pedro.

Then this last September on the Grand Princess when we got off for the day in Long Beach we really didn't?

The Grand will be porting in San Pedro on April 11.

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?CalendarName=sanpedrocruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2014%2F4%2F1

Google 'Long Beach port schedule' and 'San Pedrp port schedule'.

On rare occasions other CCL ships have ported in Long Beach in the past.

I do not see this ????? I see Grand in Santa Barbara on Apr 11.

For EMBARKATION and DISEMBARKATION Princess typically uses pier 93 which is San Pedro/LA Harbor. When a Princess ship VISITS THE AREA for the day she docks in Long Beach. These are the norm as far as I understand.

Then this last September on the Grand Princess when we got off for the day in Long Beach we really didn't?

So I guess the difference is in which question you are answering - if cruises start/stop there (no) or if they have a port day there (yes).

I think everyone is saying the same thing but a bit differently, typically a California Coastal that originates in San Pedro does not go around the corner and visit Long Beach. A California Coastal that originates outside of San Pedro may make a port stop/visit in Long Beach, which the Grand Princess has done. See my link on earlier post above for October 2013 Long Beach Cruise Ship schedule.

Edited by MTJSR

I do not see this ????? I see Grand in Santa Barbara on Apr 11.

According to the port calendars the Grand will be in San Pedro on Friday, April 11, 2014 not Long Beach.

In April 2014 the Grand is not stopping in Long Beach

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?Op=ShowIt&CalendarName=longbeachcruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2014/4/1

The April 2014 Long Beach calendar is only showing the three Carnival ships-Inspiration, Imagination and Miracle. Friday is the Inspiration's regularly scheduled embark day. She does the 3/4 day cruises.

There is only one dock in Long Beach for cruiseships. Carnival will be using Long Beach for four of those days year round. Sunday-Thursday and Monday-Friday. The Miracle ports here during the winter season, doing 6/7 day MR cruises and 15 day HI cruises, usually Saturdays and SUndays. Leaving only Tuesday and Wednesday for other CCL ships.

Edited by SadieN

According to the port calendars the Grand will be in San Pedro on Friday, April 11, 2014 not Long Beach.

http://www.sanpedrocalendar.com/scripts/calcium40.pl?Op=ShowIt&CalendarName=longbeachcruiseship&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Month&NavType=Absolute&Type=Block&Date=2014/4/1

The April 2014 Long Beach calendar is only showing the three Carnival ships-Inspiration, Imagination and Miracle. Friday is the Inspiration's regularly scheduled embark day. She does the 3/4 day cruises.

There is only one dock in Long Beach for cruiseships. Carnival will be using Long Beach for four of those days year round. Sunday-Thursday and Monday-Friday. The Miracle ports here during the winter season, doing 6/7 day MR cruises and 15 day HI cruises, usually Saturdays and SUndays. Leaving only Tuesday and Wednesday for other CCL ships.

I was looking at the cruise ship calendars on the Port of LA website too, which says the Grand Princess will be at berth 93 on April 11 in San Pedro. But on the Princess website, this cruise has the ship in Long Beach on April 9. Both can't be right. I'm guessing that maybe the cruise ship calendar is the one that needs to be revised. Hopefully Mary can call her TA or Princess to find out which date and location is right. (and if calling Princess, call at three different times just in case there was a change but the CSR she talks to first has old info).

We also enjoyed the lorikeets at the Aquarium. It'll be very easy to get to it from where the Carnival berth is at (the free shuttle bus or maybe you can even walk along the waterfront). Get your hand stamped and then you can walk or shuttle over to Shoreline Village for lunch, and then return to the Aquarium.

They use San Pedro.

Princess uses San Pedro to originate cruise, but for the California Coastal cruises they use the pier in Long Beach next to the dome that used to hold the Spruce Goose and next to Queen Mary. The aquarium, shops and restaurants are located on the other side of the bay. I believe there are shuttles available to get there as it's a good five miles.

At least this was the situation on my Grand Princess cruise last October.

Princess uses San Pedro to originate cruise, but for the California Coastal cruises they use the pier in Long Beach next to the dome that used to hold the Spruce Goose and next to Queen Mary. The aquarium, shops and restaurants are located on the other side of the bay. I believe there are shuttles available to get there as it's a good five miles.

At least this was the situation on my Grand Princess cruise last October.

Thanks, thought the OP meant new cruises from Long Beach.

So you embarked/disembarked there at the beginning and end of your cruise.

No I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

bjkTX said they "got off for the day." That sounds like a port call, not an embarkation or disembarkation. I'm not sure why you would roll your eyes at that.

Here's an example, from my booking on the Star (CA Coastal, April 2015):

Apr 05 San Francisco Check In 1:00pm-3:00pm

Apr 06 At Sea

Apr 07 Ensenada 7:00AM 5:00PM

Apr 08 Long Beach 7:00AM 6:00PM

Apr 09 San Diego 7:00AM 6:00PM

Apr 10 Santa Barbara 7:00AM 6:00PM

Apr 11 At Sea

Apr 12 San Francisco 7:00AM

No, MilliesMom, our OP, clearly stated that her cruise embarks and disembarks in San Francisco, and has port stop in Long Beach.

Colo Cruiser was clearly not following the train of thought. The OP was pretty clear.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the calendar is wrong because the Sapphire will be in port on April 3rd, but it is sailing to Asia for a 25 day cruise, not doing a Coastal.

I