"Free" pre-cruise hotel in Venice

Quester2

We will be on Venice to Istanbul Nov 2 cruise and were planning to stay just one extra night before the "free" Regent night. We have been told we will need to fly in an extra day ahead (ah, so terrible, an extra day in Venice -- so happy). However, at present the hotel is the Hilton, but we want to stay closer to Piazza San Marco and not deal with the shuttle back and forth across the canal, even though many on Tripadvisor have said it's fairly convenient. So our Amex travel agent said she'd work with us on booking another hotel if Regent doesn't offer any other choice.

My questions is: if we go with booking two extra nights at the hotel Regent will provide for one night, would we still get the transfer to the port? I assume we would have to pay the 100+ Euros for the water taxi from the airport due to arriving early.

I have arranged my own hotels in Venice and am booking travel for AP to hotel and hotel to the port. How long does it take to get from the canals in Venice to the port?

ThanksEm

3 years ago on Oceania.the ship was visible from Hilton Molina Stuckey on main canal going out to sea.By the way, make sure you get on a good vantage point departing Venice, it is beautiful

We made our own hotel arrangements in Venice as we had spent 10 days there the year before. (Cadogareasa.com). We took the water bus from the airport which dropped us 100 yards from the hotel. The next day, we took the vaparetto to Piazzale Roma where there is a "people mover" to the cruise terminal. (Details here: http://livingveniceblog.com/venice-instructions/coming-going/venice-by-cruise-ship/). Be warned that the ship is about 3 NYC blocks from the people mover so you have to be able to get yur luggage to the ship. I didn't notice porters available. We were excited, though, so schlepping luggage was not a problem.

The pier assignment will be on yur cruise documents although you can go to the port of Venice website to see the docking assignment months ahead.

On our previous trip, we rented a flat on Giudecca where the Molino Stuckey is located. We were one or two vaparetto stops from St.. Marco (depending on the vaparetto line). We loved being across the guidecca canal and being able to see the landscape of Venice proper. The vaparettos are easy and convenient.

Regent is usually docked at the smaller terminal, Basilio. If you take a water taxi at 1 pm it will drop you right at the steps where someone will take your luggage and look after getting it to the ship. You have a very short walk to a small building where you will meet the Regent reps. If the ship is tied up further down the pier you will be given the option of boarding a small bus for the ride to the ship. It is walkable but the bus ride is nice if you have hand luggage.

If you don't want the expense of the water taxi to cruise terminal, you can take the Alilaguna blue line from near your hotel (it stops at Piazza San Marcos and Hilton) and drops you at cruise terminal. Regent has buses to take you and your luggage from there. We did that two years ago. It was simple and a nice ride. We stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina which Regent was using for Concierge level. We went three days early so we took the credit for the hotel and booked it ourselves. That said, hotels in Venice are expensive and you may be better off (if staying only one night) taking the hotel and transportation from Regent. Even if you stay at hotel Regent is using (on your own) Regent won't provide transportation. They charge $109/pp which is way too much. We just booked a cruise for this fall and the hotel credit is no longer $300 (at least on this cruise). It's only $200/pp. Have a great cruise. I love Venice!

Archived