Tequila Tours

jrwadman

This is quite early, we won't be in Puerto Vallarta until November, 2013. I am looking for any reviews of any tequila tasting tours in PV. I did one in Mazatlan a couple of years ago, but PV is in Jalisco state, center of the tequila world.

We've done two tequila excursions in Puerto Vallarta. These are not large factory type distilleries - rather more like welcoming hacienda type smaller tequila operations. You'll taste some high quality tequila and learn all about the agave plant, the history of tequila, and the process involved. Most tours have some time to enjoy the gardens and even to sample some lunch. While the tequila available for purchase is not a huge bargain, it's still a great souvenir of a fine day centered around tequila.

Also, if you are traveling to Cabo San Lucas on your cruise - there is a fun restaurant that's easily walkable from the waterfront area that specializes in good tequila. We eat there and sample tequila whenever we're in Cabo. Google "Pancho's." They have a good website. Panchos is listed as the place to taste tequila in Cabo. You might say they have a tequila "museum."

Happy tequila tasting!

• 2 weeks later...

We've booked the PV tequila tour through Carnival for our cruise in November and will let you know how it was when we return. The wife is a big tequila fan.. so it should be interesting to see how she likes it. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Tried a ton of different flavored tequilas...fruity, coffee, nutty, 10,000-proof (still trying to grow nasal hair back!)...bought and brought a couple of bottles of Almond-Flavored Tequila back from the tequila store...

Cracked open the last bottle on January 6, 2006....polished it off that night.

I've been sober ever since. ;)

Tried a ton of different flavored tequilas...fruity, coffee, nutty, 10,000-proof (still trying to grow nasal hair back!)...bought and brought a couple of bottles of Almond-Flavored Tequila back from the tequila store...

Cracked open the last bottle on January 6, 2006....polished it off that night.

I've been sober ever since. ;)

OMG what is up with that Almond Flavored stuff. It was so good there....but brought it home and it was nasty, beyond nasty. I can understand how it would spoil you forever.

I did the ships tequila tour in PV last year and I did an independent tour in Mazatlan, the Mazatlan tour was far superior. The PV tour was too much talking, not enough drinking, and the tequila was not that goo.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from our cruise and we took the tequila tour offered through Carnival. So glad we did!! It was a blast.. the tour guide "Victor" from Vallarta Adventures was entertaining and helpful.. he pretty much made the tour! We stopped at two tequila "factories" for tasting and tours. Got around 5-6 sample shots at each place. Mostly the flavored tequilas.

Ended up buying some Almond and Coffee/Chocolate tequilas on the tour, then they took us to a Carnival required shopping stop that wasn't really worth anything but a restroom break, then drove through downtown for a brief tour. Some people got off in downtown to spend the rest of their time there and make their own way back to the ship.

Highly recommend the tequila tour. Not so much tequila that you get drunk, but some good education and tasting. Also some food to purchase/eat at the first stop, but wasn't that good.

Also, if you're a big fan of tequila, there's a little shop in Cabo across the street from Hard Rock called Tequila Town. It used to be right off the pier, which is why we returned to Cabo this year, but we found it had moved way to the other side of town. Worth the hike for some high quality rare tequilas.

Archived