Two questions

1. We have two cabins booked, an oceanview balcony and an interior across the hall. Currently, the booking has my husband and son in one cabin and my daughter and me in the other. (They will be ages 12 and 14) Now we know that is not how it's going to work. The representative told us to book it that way and then do whatever we want once on board. So my question is, how do we handle the seapass cards? Do I just swap mine with my son? Or is there a way to straighten it out so that we each have the appropriate card for the room we're in?

2. I've read a lot about the different means of getting from the airport to hotel/port. I think I've convinced my husband not to go with the RCI transfers because they are just ridiculously expensive. We will be arriving the night before our cruise (Aug. 2013) and will be on the Oasis. So do most people just catch a cab from the airport to their hotel? Do most hotels have shuttles? And finally, how do you handle transportation back to the airport from the ship? (Ft. Lauderdale) Thanks in advance!

1. We have two cabins booked, an oceanview balcony and an interior across the hall. Currently, the booking has my husband and son in one cabin and my daughter and me in the other. (They will be ages 12 and 14) Now we know that is not how it's going to work. The representative told us to book it that way and then do whatever we want once on board. So my question is, how do we handle the seapass cards? Do I just swap mine with my son? Or is there a way to straighten it out so that we each have the appropriate card for the room we're in?

2. I've read a lot about the different means of getting from the airport to hotel/port. I think I've convinced my husband not to go with the RCI transfers because they are just ridiculously expensive. We will be arriving the night before our cruise (Aug. 2013) and will be on the Oasis. So do most people just catch a cab from the airport to their hotel? Do most hotels have shuttles? And finally, how do you handle transportation back to the airport from the ship? (Ft. Lauderdale) Thanks in advance!

You cannot swap SeaPass cards. Each person must keep their own SeaPass card because your picture is associated with it. Just go down to Guest Services once you are on board and ask for an extra key to the cabin.

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale port) is so close to the airport that taxi's are the fastest and cheapest way to transfer. You can use the hotel shuttle to the ship, but again, taxi's will be very inexpensive and you won't have to wait for a shuttle to fill.

You can goto guest services and ask for a replacment card. They will do it for you. Just tie all four of your sea pass cards together for one charge. You can limit the kids' though.

It depends on the type of hotel you book in Ft L. Most of the chain hotels do provide a shuttle. They will get you to the airport and you can take a taxi to the cruise port. Some hotels (Hampton Inn for example) provide a shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. It just depends on what you are looking for. Once you are off the ship just get a taxi to take you to the airport. They will be waiting. It's a 5-10 min drive so pretty close.

We did the same thing for our Allure cruise, so that we could get the Diamond discount for each room. When we boarded, we went straight to Guest Relations and they gave myself, and one of my daughters new Sea pass Cards. Only took a couple of minutes. BTW, while I was having mine changed, a family was doing the same thing to the right of me, and another family came up as we were leaving and did the exact same thing too (thus, it happens a lot and they can handle it quickly in Guest Relations).

Did you book directly with RC? If so and the cabins are directly across the hall from each other call back and see if you can get the right people in the right cabins before your cruise. We have always had our kids in their own cabin booked that way. The rules are that the cabin needs to be directly across from or next to the parents cabin. Unless something has changed recently you should be able to do this now. If you booked elsewhere give it a try doesn't hurt. As others have said if for some reason you can't get it switched just go to guest services and get extra keys. We do this anyway so that we have access to the kids cabin and them ours.

As for transportation, just use a taxi, this way you are on your own schedule, not that of any shuttle. And the cost is about the same or less anyway.

They truly don't care who is in which cabin....so tell them and get the correct cards for each cabin....if you want an extra key for the kid's room, they'll do that, too.

Yes...a taxi is the cheapest and fastest option. Both to the ship, and back to the airport!

There is a MUCH better answer:

We have done this a few times and it is NO PROBLEM:

As soon as you get on board, go to the pursers desk and tell them you need to "Change your seapass cards". Don't ask for extras or ask for replacments.

You get yours & your husbands for the correct cabin and change your kid's to the other cabin. They will do it without hassle.

If you want the BEST way to do it - get a cab. Both ways, and to the hotel, and to the ship.

It may be a little more expensive, but believe me, waiting for one of the hotel shuttles and trying to get on it when there are 50 other people also trying to get on it is waaaaay too much of a hassle.

It's worth paying the $20 or $25 for a cab.

Hope This Helps.

Did you book directly with RC? If so and the cabins are directly across the hall from each other call back and see if you can get the right people in the right cabins before your cruise. We have always had our kids in their own cabin booked that way. The rules are that the cabin needs to be directly across from or next to the parents cabin. Unless something has changed recently you should be able to do this now. If you booked elsewhere give it a try doesn't hurt. As others have said if for some reason you can't get it switched just go to guest services and get extra keys. We do this anyway so that we have access to the kids cabin and them ours.

As for transportation, just use a taxi, this way you are on your own schedule, not that of any shuttle. And the cost is about the same or less anyway.

This is correct. You do NOT have to book an adult in each cabin, as long as your kids' cabin is directly across the hall from yours. Before you sail, you should try to set the reservation straight.

Thank you for the information. We will look into changing our room assignments. The rooms are right across the hall from each other. I didn't know you could do that.

Cabbing it is fine with us if it's faster and cheaper! Thanks!:)

Hey Merion Mom, I'm a stone's throw from you in BC!

Thank you for the information. We will look into changing our room assignments. The rooms are right across the hall from each other. I didn't know you could do that.

Cabbing it is fine with us if it's faster and cheaper! Thanks!:)

Hey Merion Mom, I'm a stone's throw from you in BC!

Make sure you do not lose your Diamond Discount if you change the names in the cabins. Maybe your kids are Diamond as part of the family but I'm not sure.

I believe it's also a good idea to have a key made for the other cabin, so you can go in and check on them as needed. It means you will carry two cards, but is security for you.

We've always had an extra card so we can get in the kids' room. We don't carry it with us. The kids' room is always next to, or across the hall from, ours so we keep the spare key in our room. If we need it, we know where to find it.

Archived