Peat Taylor tours

surgie

Hey foofat!

They did all of that for $30 bucks? Did that include all of the entrance fees or just their part? I thought Dunn's Falls was $10 and the river tubing $20.....just for those two things... I've never been good at math but it doesn't seem to add up....help me please!

Kathy

$30.00 is for everything listed above including admission to the Falls, but does not include the White River tubing. That is an extra $20.00. So $50.00 total including river tubing. Peat was great and we used him in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Im going on Carnival Victory on 4/24/05 and Ive read so much about Peat Taylor that I email him to make reservations for his tour...does anyone know how long it takes for him to send u a confirmation back...

do i get both peat and oneil for the same price so two for the price of one, i hope

Yes, they both came with us when we were guided by them. Oneil took us through and showed us plantlife and neat facts about the island while walking to the falls from the lot. They both sang for us and it was a great day. No extra charge for Oneil.

I actually just went on the tour 4/12/05 through the Voyager of the Seas after reviewing the recommendations of the board members here. My wife and I had a great time and thank those that shared their experiences. We went to the Falls, explored Fern Gulley (there are some interesting characters littering the streets), went to the pottery factory (can't remember the name, I think Wasi), and actually visited a kindergarten which was really fun.

We ended up at the ruins for lunch and did some shopping before heading back to the ship.

One note, Peat came down with chicken pox prior to our trip so he did not attend. No word as to how long he will be unavailable. O'Neill ran the tour (he had a driver) and was a great host, as he seemed very knowledgable about everything we saw and did. There were 12 of us I believe.

we just booked him for 4/26/05. it took about three emails and 5 days to get a reply. i also left him a message on his website. you may want to try that as well

Im going on Carnival Victory on 4/24/05 and Ive read so much about Peat Taylor that I email him to make reservations for his tour...does anyone know how long it takes for him to send u a confirmation back...

we just booked him for 4/26/05. it took about three emails and 5 days to get a reply. i also left him a message on his website. you may want to try that as well

THANK YOU HE ACTUALLY TOOK JUST 2DAYS TO ANSWER AND IM CONFIRMED FOR APRIL 29TH...I HOPE IS AS GOOD AS EVERYONE SAYS...BUT THANK YOU ANYWAYS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just got back for the Victory 4/24/05 and the tour with Peat Taylor was great I think it was the best out of the three islands I went..he was very informative, he sang, and he answered all our questions...I recommend him 100% and definately Im planning to go back to Ocho Rios Im going to book Peat Taylor and Oneil is a great person also he was with us part of the tour

how does one go about getting peat or his son. On the email response I got back it says,

I also arrange private and customized tour;not done by me personally at all times when I can't do it, I can recommend drivers who work with me.

so how do you know if you get peat or his son???

thanks

• 1 month later...

I received this confirmation of my tour:

February 15th, 2005

Dear Jacquelyn,

NB: The State of the U.S.A. Dept. has requested to the Port Authority of Jamaica that a limited amount of persons should be on the dock. When you come off the ship and reach the terminal you will see a dispatcher holding up a sign with my name “Peat Taylor” or please ask one of the dispatchers to show you where I am waiting and when you meet me please ask me for my ID.

God willing it is confirm May 25th, 2005

30 minutes after the ship docks.

Come prepare to enjoy yourselves.

Have a safe voyage over

Sincerely

Peat Taylor

The RCCL Mariner docked while we were eating breakfast (about 8:50am). It was scheduled to dock at 9am. I got our group off the ship at about 9:25. It's a bit of a walk to the end of the pier where the "other" tour groups meet. I had a copy of my letter that Peat Taylor had e-mailed me, confirming our tour. Phil Layfette did have someone with a sign there. I didn't see anyone from Peat Taylor's tour and after waiting about 15min, I started asking around to the lt. green shirted "Jamaican Tourism Authority" (or something like that) folks. After being shuttled to two or three folks, someone finally called Peat on his phone. HE HAD ALREADY LEFT!! He did send another driver named Kevin. He had his own van. By now it was 10:15 and I knew Dunn's river would be packed. I showed him our reservation and he asked "Where did you want to go?" River tubing and Dunn's Falls, I replied.

He took us to the River Tubing first. This is where I made the "oops'! I was thinking that they took credit cards at Jamaica and GC, but it's only GC! Had to go to a Jamaican Teller Machine for funds! Went back and did the tubing. It was very fun and my DS's and DH all seemed to enjoy it! (The young Jamaican man who was the guide didn't have an ounce of fat!) At the end Kevin was waiting for us, as promised, but fast asleep! We then went to Dunn's river where we happened to Meet up with Peat Taylor's group! He apologized for not waiting, but said said some else in the group "said" they were us. (Hmmm...) Oh well, we did get our "admission ticket" and went in. We rented a locker and I took my water proof Canon Elf on the falls. I tucked the locker key and the rest of the Jamacian money in the camera case.

This is were the fiasco began. There were about 5 guides trying to start all at the same time up the falls. There were folks going thru others hand to hand line, 2 or 3 lines right next to each other, it was a MESS!! In the midst of this, my 11yo DS is terrified and crying while climbing the falls. My 12yo DS is behind me, lets go of my hand and in his attempt to retake my hand he grabs the camera case instead! AND, you guessed it, down the falls it went. My 11yo and I got out at the first take out point to check on the case. At the end of the fall are Jamaican men smoking "wacky weed" (informed my son that's what it smelled like, not a lesson I intended to teach!) and told them all I wanted was the case, but they claimed they didn't see it. Lucky for me, they had another key to the lock on the locker so we waited for my DH and other DS. We finally hooked up (after dealing with the path thru their 'market' saying "No, Thanks" about 20 times) and went back to the ship.

Peat did come thru for us with another driver, so we had a private tour to ourselves, but I feel he should have asked for ID from his passengers. He also charges $35 now to accomidate the extra $5 that DRF charges. (Or at least our tour guide did!)

This was my 2nd trip to Jamaica, the first was 18 years ago. We had problems then d/t the fact we were the first cruise ship after a hurricane. The people were very rude and pushy on that trip. If I take another cruise that stops at Jamaica, I'll just shop some and stay at Margaritaville, or make it a "ship day"!

Jacquelyn :D

Thanks so much for all of your help! My husband and I will be in Jamaica on 7/5 and my husband was "concerned" about doing stuff on our own and all of the stuff through Princess was booked that we wanted to do. I have contacted Peat and hopefully he can take care of us.

Just got back from Ocho Rios. We booked a CONFIRMED private tour with Orville Taylor and did not get a private tour or anything we requested. It doesn't seem that he answers emails personnally, so he doesn't really know what is booked. Be careful when booking with him, unless it is a group tour that takes you around. Disappointing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For future cruises, check out Mayfield Falls - when you dock at Montego Bay. It was the highlight of our tour - still a workout to do the climb, but much less strenuous than Dunn's. Much safer in my estimation. there is even an underground tunnel which you can swim through. My grandkids did it, but not us adults! I have a good recommendation for tour guide - Trevor Hudlin - he was very professional, and such a nice man!

• 3 weeks later...

:) we booked a tour with Peat and oneil his son a while. this tour took us to dunns river falls to the fern gully, a drive through the beautiful country side of jamaica, a relaxing lunch over looking the ocean and river tubing and this cost us $55 each their was no kids on board the tour, and this price include every activity except lunch.

these two guy (peat and oneil) took care of us like we were family.

and his son is just a teenage and doing so well.

i recommend them to any one goin to ochos rios

I have a question on this tour.

Is there enough time to go with Peat to the

DRF and Fern and Shop and still be able to do

the ships excursion horseback ride or do horseback

ride with private tour?

We will be going this winter to Ocho Rios and

would love to do all we can when ship comes

in at 9am and we depart at 4pm.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

Here is a copy of the itinerary he sent:

1. visit to the Renown Dunn’s River Falls 2 1/2 hrs.

2. A tour of the Jamaican Neighborhood

3. A visit to Fern Gully, a picturesque location with various species of ferns.

4. Highlighted Shopping Tour.

5. A visit to Mahogany Beach and other locations of your interest.

6. River Tubing (entry fee of US$20.00 per person is not included)

7. Horse back riding (entry fee is not included)

8. Buffet lunch at The Ruin’s Restaurant. Price not included

Tour will last approximately 4 1/2 – 5 1/2hrs.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a copy of the itinerary he sent:

8. Buffet lunch at The Ruin’s Restaurant. Price not included

Tour will last approximately 4 1/2 – 5 1/2hrs.

We booked with Peat for our cruise this Dec. Anyone have any info on the Ruins? How's the food & the prices?

tia

-Monte

My husband and I will be on VOS next week, and booked a private tour with Peat Taylor when we get to Ocho Rios. He told me we would be getting his son Oneil actually.

The private tour's price was worked out in advance.

Is it appropriate to tip Oneil at the end? How much would you recommend, being that it is just us 2?

Also, how much does the guide get tipped after the tubing adventure?

Sorry - I honestly don't know - and your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you! :

jaspersmom,

Be sure to confirm that Oneill will be with you the whole time. We also booked a "private" tour for just the 6 of us through Peat, who told us after we arrived that his son would be our guide. Unfortunately, Oneill ditched us at Dunns Falls. After looking at the beach we wandered around looking for him (he said he'd be right back). With no sign of him, we ended up in the parking lot wandering around looking for our bus with all our bags. It was about another half hour before it appeared. Another tour guide hopped on his place. The driver, who we liked, never really explained where Oneill was, but we got the impression he bailed out on us to take another group. The new guide was nice enough, but by then we were pretty soured by the whole experience and we cut the tour short.

If you're looking for a full time guide - like we were, so you can come and go as you please - you might want to reconsider Peat. I have no idea if ours was a typical experience for a private tour through him. Everything positive I've seen about him on these boards come from folks who have taken his group tours. I've seen no other reports on private ones.

I was on a private tour with Peat Taylor and Oneil. We had 4 in our group and it was DW and I and our friends traveling with us. Never left and where he said he would be everytime. I hope yours was an isolated incident. I would not hesitate to use Peat Taylor again at any time.

Hi Diane & Rundogrun,

I was concerned after reading your reply - (Rundogrun) but I hope that Peat & Oneil won't disappoint us. I left a message for Peat on his machine, and he called me back right away - and we talked for at least 15 minutes discussing a tour. I emailed him, and he emailed me back a confirmation letter. So far so good...

I definitely will post a message upon my return and tell you how it went.

In the meantime though - assuming everything works out with Oneil - Do you tip him at the end of the day for a private tour (costing $120 for the 2 of us for unlimited time...including tubing but no DRF). How much would you tip about?

Also - how much roughly - would you recommend giving to a guide on the tubing adventure?

I do appreciate your response!

Thank you!

Archived