Peat Taylor tours

surgie

Just back from the Liberty & a tour with Peat Taylor. We had PJ (aka Re-Peat or Peat Jr) take us to the falls and then tubing.

This is the second time we have used Peat Taylor and must say we were not disappointed. PJ allowed us to leave our belongings on the bus while at the falls & tubing, kept us entertain (though off key ;)) and even asked if we needed him to stop anywhere before he took us back to the ship.

I would not hesitate to book Peat Taylor tours again in the future & would recommend him to friends in a second!

Any opinions good or bad about Peat Taylor's tours?

I just came back from Carnival Freedom 2/21-2/27. I booked the Dunns River/river tubing package for 5 with Peat Taylor based on this site and TripAdvisor.com reviews. The morning we arrived in Jamaica it was pouring with an incredible lightning storm in progress. My wife and I thought it would be wise to avoid any water attractions that day and she was not feeling well. Peat does not require you to place a deposit so we just didn't get off the boat in the am. The weather cleared by lunch time so we decided to walk around Ocho Rios. On a whim, I asked one of the officials in the secure area if they knew how to get in touch with Peat. They called over another guide who called Peat on their cell phone. We wanted to see if we could still go on the tubing trip. They said Peat would be there in 10 minutes! Peat showed up and agreed to take my family and 2 others tubing for $35 per person. We had 3 others with us who did not want to go tubing but wanted to see some sights. He agreed to take them around Ocho Rios while we tubed. He actually called his wife to come down and pick them up. She showed up in a very clean SUV and brought the ladies to a school and they met the children and she drove them through various neighborhoods. Peat offered to take us around after the tubing but we wanted to get back to the ship so we passed. Peat was very personable and his vehicles were clean and comfortable. I will use him again if I return to Ocho Rios.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, Peat Taylor Tours may not pan out to be what you expected it to be. We took a customized tour with this outfit on April 28, 2011 in Ocho Rios. We booked it by e-mail several days in advance for 3 people (2 adults, one child) for Dunn's River Falls followed by James Bond Beach ($45 US per adult and $35 US for a child). The younger driver who took us from the pier to the falls was fine, although he didn't attempt to tell us anything about Jamaica. He just hummed Bob Marley tunes the whole way. After Dunn's, we boarded a different vehicle which already had other people inside. We had a different driver who identified himself as Peat. The driver stopped on the outskirts of Ocho Rios at a beach called Mahogany Beach and said that this was the beach stop for us. I had studied the maps of the region extensively before travelling so I knew that this was not the right stop for us. I told the driver that this was not the beach we had booked and asked for James Bond Beach. He replied that the e-mail he had on his clipboard for us said that we had asked for Reggae Beach. (We had asked for Reggae Beach in a previous e-mail and had written again, changing our itinerary to James Bond Beach, which had been confirmed by e-mail several days before our cruise by Peat Taylor Tours.) At this point, I started to be suspicious and mistrustful of this driver. Was he trying to drop us off much closer to town to make more money? If he had Reggae Beach on his sheet, why stop at Mahogany Beach? :( Was he going to pick us up again after our beach stop and get us to the ship back on time? This was a lot of unwanted stress at a time when we should have been enjoying ourselves and listening to our wonderful tour guide (according to reviews on the Internet). :confused: Anyway, he drove on and dropped two parties off at two different venues for tubing and rafting (a detour of about 20 min.) before proceeding to our own destination at James Bond Beach. He was shortening our beach stay on a cruise stop that was already short. Despite me showing the driver the confirmation e-mail for James Bond Beach on the iPod which I was carrying with me, he started telling me off. As soon as the other parties left the minibus and we were the 3 only passengers left, the driver started nagging at me, stating that our itinerary was unusual, that we were late off the ship in the morning (we were 20 min. late because our ship docked earlier than expected and I read in other reviews that Peat Taylor Tours is usually very accommodating with people's schedules so I wasn't worrying about our schedule - Jamaica is after all the land of "No problem, Mon", right?). He ranted on, saying that he had had to send another vehicle for us to the pier in the morning, that James Bond Beach was not usually requested, that his company was not perfect, etc., etc. And he took up nagging *again* on the way back from the beach at the end of the afternoon. So forget the wonderful experience where you get a driver that tells you all about Jamaica and is courteous and accommodating. I don't know if it was because we were two women (my Mom and I) travelling alone with a disabled child (little person) or whether he just got up on the wrong side of the bed, but Peat Taylor Tours definitely ruined my day. He offered no apology whatsoever and did not discount our tour or go out of his way to make up for the attempted stop at the wrong beach and the lost time spent driving other people to their venues. And to make matters worse, Peat Taylor Tours responded with a very vile e-mail after I wrote an honest review of his tour on TripAdvisor. He even quoted my review in his message; so there can be no mistake about his intentions. Replying in an unkind manner to a person who has written an honest review is very poor business practice and is forbidden by the people at TripAdvisor.

• 6 months later...

We feel so very, very lucky that we found Peat Taylor tours. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Falmouth and signed up for the Dunns River Falls, tubing on the White River and Blue Hole combo. It was amazing! We'd been concerned that Dunns River Falls would be too touristy for us and though there were tons of people there (4 cruise ships in that day- unusual), we had a blast! It felt good to have O'Neil Taylor (Peat's son) as our guide and he ushered us through, connected us up with our guides for the Falls and it seems like we bypassed multiple other lines.

The White River tubing was really fun- definitely not a touristy spot but great to be with locals and being serenaded the entire way down the river. Pretty much like we saw on the video on their website. The guides were really good at taking care of everyone- catching your tube if heading into trouble, giving heads up as need be. I just laughed and laughed!

Blue Hole was great- wish we'd had more time there but fun pretending to be Tarzan on the rope and jumping off the cliff.

One note to consider that we hadn't- the guides for Dunns River Falls will expect a tip and you will want to tip the guides both on the White River tubing and Blue Hole parts (don't think they expect it in quite the same way as Dunns River but we definitely wanted to tip them). So bring extra money in denominations suitable for tipping. And of course you'lll will want to tip your guide- whether it be O'Niel, Peat, Peat Jr- I'm sure they are all wonderful!

The best part was having O'Niel as our guide- extremely knowledgeable, passionate about his country, superb ability to connect personally with each and every guest, great sense of humor, amazing enthusiasm. It's very obvious that this is not just a job for him but a passion. We learned so much about Jamaica, loved hearing his stories about growing up, going to school, his family, the "Who's Who" who have houses in the area, the story of being at a stop light and pointing out Keith Richard's house and then realizing Keith Richards was in the car next to them at the stop light.

We would definitely book with Peat Taylor Tours again and highly encourage everyone else to do so. Everyone in our group had a great time.

Have fun!

We used Peat Taylor last week from Falmouth for a customized tour for our party of 12. We had nothing but great experiences on our trip to/from Mo Bay. Clifton was our driver and he picked us up right on time in a modern air conditioned bus, gave us tons of history during our travels and was very accommodating. I'd book Peat Taylor again in a heartbeat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just back from the Liberty & a tour with Peat Taylor. We had PJ (aka Re-Peat or Peat Jr) take us to the falls and then tubing.

This is the second time we have used Peat Taylor and must say we were not disappointed. PJ allowed us to leave our belongings on the bus while at the falls & tubing, kept us entertain (though off key ;)) and even asked if we needed him to stop anywhere before he took us back to the ship.

I would not hesitate to book Peat Taylor tours again in the future & would recommend him to friends in a second!

Yes we also had him and agree with all the above. We went on a couples tour and found him great fun. The weather was wet when we arrive for the day off of the Island Princess so halfway through PJ changed what we were going to do and took us to the falls and then to Scotchies for Jerk Chicken. ,Great day nice man.

Archived