QM2 and New York Questions

scifisteve

When Giving a NYC Cabbie a long number such as 1456; do you say ?

One Four Five Six

One Thousand Four Hundred and Fifty Six

Fourteen Fifty Six

Cheers.

None of the above. When giving a NYC cabbie a long number, your best bet would be to say it in Urdu or Hindi. ;)

On a more serious note, most NYC cabbies don't relate to street addresses--virtually everyone in New York gives the nearest cross streets to where they are going (such as 42nd and 7th, which means at the intersection of 42nd Street and 7th Avenue). If you are able to do that instead of an actual street address, I would recommend it.

None of the above. When giving a NYC cabbie a long number, your best bet would be to say it in Urdu or Hindi. ;)

On a more serious note, most NYC cabbies don't relate to street addresses--virtually everyone in New York gives the nearest cross streets to where they are going (such as 42nd and 7th, which means at the intersection of 42nd Street and 7th Avenue). If you are able to do that instead of an actual street address, I would recommend it.

What you say is correct but there is also an "easy" way to work out the cross street

numbers.jpg.4c8c0e29b47d5fd33d30fc67e02c9039.jpg

Hello I am Steve and have been browsing CC and particularly the Cunard's Section (have read the last 2 Years QM2 posts) since I decided to take the TA to N.Y, a dream ever since watching a Documentary on the Ship.

I am planning a May 2014 Crossing with a week in the Big Apple, and have had many of my questions answered either on Cunard's FAQ or on this fine Forum. However I still have niggles and random bits that still require clarifications and advise and appreciate any help especially from the "experts". I apologise in advance if any of the questions seem silly.

First Hand Knowledge and Experience would be great, and I will add more as I think of them :).

1. I like Trinkets and Baubles and will probably be buying from the QM2 shop, can items purchased be sent to your home rather than having to cart them back on the plane after my week in N.Y ?

2. I will be booking my New York Hotel and return Flight through Cunard, will I get an included Transfer to the Hotel on Arrival at Redhook and then again from my Hotel to the Airport ? If yes does this effect Self Disembarkation ?

3. New York Hilton or Marriott Marquis ?

4. Is a Provisional UK photo Driving licence exceptive as I.D for collecting pre booked Tickets ? Not mad about the idea of carrying my Passport around.

cheers for now.

scifisteve

My husband and I were in the city recently for a show and an overnight stay. We usually stay at the Marriott Marquis, but this time we stayed at the Hilton because it was closer to the theater. We were very disappointed with the room, old, staff not helpful, alot of people there with conventions and unsavory characters. The Marriott is a much better choice since it is a newer hotel, rooms are very nice and have better views. It is in the heart of everything, theaters, good restaurants and shopping. The Marriott's restaurants are expensive, but they do have good lunches there. Accross the street, 45th St, is Juniors a restaurant that is famous here for it's cheesecake, but they are good for Breakfast, lunch & dinner and late night snacks. One block West of the Hotel, 46th Street between 9th and 8th Aves is "Restaurant Row" with a big selection of different restaurants and prices. On 9th Ave are all sorts of restaurants too.

Also, accross the street from the hotel is TKTS, where you can get discounted tickets to Broadway shows for the same day. And, you would have better access to subways at the Marriott.

To get around Manhattan, remember, 5th Ave is the dividing line between West Man. and East Man. West Man is 5th to 12th Aves and East is 5th to 1st Ave. Streets are numbered sequentially. Unless you go downtown, where they are names. Grew up and worked in Man. in midtown. Any other questions you have I would be glad to help. Have a wonderful time in NY. We are nice people, honest.

• 1 month later...

Just to bowl a slight googly, the Westin NYC at Times Square currently seem to be running a promotion. We have just snagged a great deal for our stay after our WB Transatlantic. We stayed there last year and found it fine - it's a block away from Times Square, so reasonably quiet, and we found it walkable to just about everywhere. Nice views from the rooms, too. We had planned to stay elsewhere this time, but the deal at the Westin was just too good to resist. Anyway, just a thought.

"Booked" at the Cruise Show :):):):)

Hey Steve

Did you book for May 9th 2014 crossing? If so we're on the same voyage! I'll buy you and your wife a drink buddy. When you get to the big apple, don't forget to take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, so you can't beat the price! :D

Hey Steve

Did you book for May 9th 2014 crossing? If so we're on the same voyage! I'll buy you and your wife a drink buddy. When you get to the big apple, don't forget to take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, so you can't beat the price! :D

Cheers. No wife though, Going out to Liberty but that will be on the LI Ferry, not sure if I will have time for both

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel sorted; they added a new Location to the line up, The Grand Hyatt. Slightly disappointed that they only do 4 nights in their packages; but made up by the fact that the Hotel is slap bang in the middle of some of the sights I was going to see.

Archived