Getting re-routed (From Bermuda)

broadwaystar32

Hi all, I have heard that it is very possible a cruise to Bermuda will be sent somewhere else is the weather is bad, and I have a few questions about this and what to expect. I will be on the Norwegian Star leaving Sept. 2nd. I know next week is looking not so great for hurricanes, so we're just playing it by ear.

1. If you are being sent somewhere other than Bermuda, when will they let you know? Do they decide in advance and email you or something or will you find out when you board the ship?

2. Is there a price difference for different locations? Will I get charged more or less if we go somewhere other than Bermuda?

3. We've booked shore excursions ahead of time (and credit card has already been charged). I assume we get refunded - but do they refund you the money or give some sort of on board credit? And I would guess new excursions could be booked for the new destination right away?

4. I've heard the most common situation is to be switched to the Bahamas itinerary. Is there anywhere else they could potentially send you? I should mention I'm leaving from New York, and it's a 7 night cruise. If possible hurricanes are really bad down south do they ever do a New England/Canada itinerary?

Any other differences or things I should know?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! While I am dying to go to Bermuda I know we will be happy with whatever happens - just want to be prepared!

They will let you know about any deviations to the route as soon as they can....you may not have alot of notice, tho....

You shouldn't get charged more than what you've paid.....

If you booked through the ship, no worries about refunds if excursions are cancelled. They will make excursions avail. for any new destinations onboard.

They could send you further south past Bermuda, or into New England....just depends where the storm is going!

No matter what, they will not put you in the storm!

Becky, I think half of the battle is already solved--because you are doing your homework and you are AWARE that this can happen and you are doing your best to prepare yourself. People who have the hardest time with this seem to be folks who do not quite get that they are going on a vacation where everything may not be in their control--LOL!! In general, it does not happen that often. I know it did happen one week last fall. It depends on when/where the storm is located--as you noted it could go to Bahamas, but I know one year they got routed to Canada. Now honestly--that would bum me out--but every year if we book in the fall we have a discussion about the possibility and weight out the question "If I end up goign to Canada am I going to just really be upset" We hope for the best but go with an open mind that we will go wherever the Captain feels he needs to take us in order to be safe--and we will have fun. Having researched this quite a bit (we only go to Bermuda in the fall and int he height of hurricane season)--yes, you get money back from excursions with NCL and we do careful research if we book with an outside excursion in terms of how it would be handled (we find that most do have decent refund policies--you can check this out in more detail regarding reputable companies on the ports board where all kind of information regarding Bermuda can be found). The notification varies according to when the Captain makes the decision--if they know when youa re boarding you may be handed a letter telling you the change and have some opportunity to cancel, but obviously if it occurs mid cruise, you jsut find out whenever teh Captain decides to make the announcement. The only money you get back--of which I am aware-- is for the port charges. I do not believe I have ever read that they charge extra if you go to a different port.

We have had three successful and msot beautiful cruises in September or October to bermuda--so here is wishing you great times--but I can already tell that you will have a great time because you are well preparing yourself. :)

Norwegian has posted a weather alert icon on its' web site. According to it, they will post information as soon as they can. From what I am seeing on the Weather Channel, it will be the cruises scheduled for this weekend (August 25th and 26th) that will be affected depending as how the storm develops and in what direction.

We are to leave Indy for a 4 night Bahamas cruise departing Monday morning. All in our party got a robo call from NCL today that they are monitoring Tropical Storm Isaac and will make whatever changes are necessary for safety. It also suggested to watch ncl.com for updates.

This is only my second NCL cruise. I was impressed by this. I have been effected by 4 tropical storms on 3 different lines. This is the first time that a cruiseline proactively contacted me and not left it up to me to call them.

Since the Bahamas will possibly be in Isaac's path, is it likely that they'll just do three sea days further north? I'd rather have 3 sea days with nicer weather than try to make any stops in the pouring rain. Might they'll cancel altogether?

We are to leave Indy for a 4 night Bahamas cruise departing Monday morning. All in our party got a robo call from NCL today that they are monitoring Tropical Storm Isaac and will make whatever changes are necessary for safety. It also suggested to watch ncl.com for updates.

This is only my second NCL cruise. I was impressed by this. I have been effected by 4 tropical storms on 3 different lines. This is the first time that a cruiseline proactively contacted me and not left it up to me to call them.

Since the Bahamas will possibly be in Isaac's path, is it likely that they'll just do three sea days further north? I'd rather have 3 sea days with nicer weather than try to make any stops in the pouring rain. Might they'll cancel altogether?

If I understand correctly you are planning to fly down Monday morning. You biggest concern is not where the ship goes but if anything will be flying into MIA of FLL that day. Current track has Isaac over the area 8:00am Monday morning. I do hope you have travel insurance. You can't buy it now and get coverage for an existing storm. Good Luck.

If I understand correctly you are planning to fly down Monday morning. You biggest concern is not where the ship goes but if anything will be flying into MIA of FLL that day. Current track has Isaac over the area 8:00am Monday morning. I do hope you have travel insurance. You can't buy it now and get coverage for an existing storm. Good Luck.

We fly in Sunday morning and the cruise departs on Monday morning. I'll think we'll get to FLL OK, just wondering about Monday morning's embarkation.

Hi all, I have heard that it is very possible a cruise to Bermuda will be sent somewhere else is the weather is bad, and I have a few questions about this and what to expect. I will be on the Norwegian Star leaving Sept. 2nd. I know next week is looking not so great for hurricanes, so we're just playing it by ear.

1. If you are being sent somewhere other than Bermuda, when will they let you know? Do they decide in advance and email you or something or will you find out when you board the ship?

2. Is there a price difference for different locations? Will I get charged more or less if we go somewhere other than Bermuda?

3. We've booked shore excursions ahead of time (and credit card has already been charged). I assume we get refunded - but do they refund you the money or give some sort of on board credit? And I would guess new excursions could be booked for the new destination right away?

4. I've heard the most common situation is to be switched to the Bahamas itinerary. Is there anywhere else they could potentially send you? I should mention I'm leaving from New York, and it's a 7 night cruise. If possible hurricanes are really bad down south do they ever do a New England/Canada itinerary?

Any other differences or things I should know?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! While I am dying to go to Bermuda I know we will be happy with whatever happens - just want to be prepared!

We were on a cruise last year on the Gem from NY to Bermuda and a hurricane stopped us from going to Bermuda. We were given a letter at the pier before we checked in and it gave us a new itinerary and a letter of apology. They also said that if we did't want the cruise we could opt out. We flew in from Nebraska and were using our vacation, so we continued with the chek in. The new itinerary took us to Port Canaveral, Nassau, Bahamas and Great Stirrup Cay. We weren't super excited but made the best of it. After all, we weren't at home and we were on a cruise! Our only reason for not being thrilled is because we have spent time in Nassau and GSC and have been to Orlando and Cape Canaveral before and had never been to Bermuda. When we got to Port Canaveral, they had car rental vans waiting at the port and we just rented a car for the day and went to Orlando. We went to Downtown Disney and Universal Walk and spent time there.

We didn't get mad at NCL or grumble the way a lot of people did. We knew it could happen. Also port charges are cheaper for the revised itinerary so they refunded some of our fees. It seems like it was around $16 per person on board credit. The Captain was always apologetic and told us that they watched the storm until the last minute and for safety issues they couldn't risk the weather.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, have a great time and enjoy your cruise no matter what!

You know Autumn is coming on when.... The storm threats increase for cruising.

1. As stated NCL will let you know when they know. There may be no advance information to give you because it can be so unpredictabe. Again as others said if you have access, check the NCL site. If your contact # is your cell then depending on the time they know ahead you may be contacted by phone of any changes. We had changes to our last cruise the day before we left. Unfortunately, the only contact # they had for me was my home phone which certainly did no good to me when I was already at the destination port city (lesson learned). If they know before you board you will probably receive a letter with details at the port.

2. If you go somewhere other than Bermuda that charges NCL less port charges, you may be refunded a small portion for that particular port. Don't expect big bucks, I think ours was less than $10 pp for a missed port.

3. Shore excursions will only be refunded if you booked through NCL. If you have booked private that would depend on that company's cancellation policy.

4. Sorry can't help with that

"Any other differences or things I should know?" Stay flexible after all you are on vacation and on a great ship.

Thanks everyone for your input! Our excursions are booked through NCL so we should be okay with that. I'd heard from somewhere else that "2 out of 5 cruises in September never make it to Bermuda" and are instead re-routed, but I don't know if that statistic is accurate ;) Regardless, we knew it would be a little risky with the time of year but it is our one year wedding anniversary so we wanted to celebrate with a cruise!

Thanks for pointing out that weather alert on the website, I will keep an eye on that. Hopefully everything going on down there passes over and is gone in this coming week so that the following week will be clear sailing!

My apology to you, OP. I am rushing and packing today. In my haste, I didn't see that you were asking about Bermuda, not the Bahamas. So sorry for jumping on your thread!

No worries! Glad you could get some help out of this thread!

We were rerouted last year on the September 11th Gem cruise. We still had a wonderful cruise! We are sailing on Sunday on the Star and will go where the ship goes and we will have an awesome trip I am sure.

We made a back-up plan if we are rerouted to the same ports. I am happy with our back-up plan, and I am certian NCL will make the best choice to keep us safe!

Cherie

We will be in the same time frame/risk next year. Having never been to Bermuda I would hope we don't get rerouted but a diversion to New England or Canada would be a great vacation for us, also. Not thrilled about the Bahamas but that would be an opportunity to just relax on a wonderful ship.

Win/Win/Win

Hope you have a great trip wherever you end up!

We are on the Gem this Saturday out of NY to the Bahamas. I'm not concerned about re-routing since its the vacation and ship we are looking forward to. Just wondering if they ever cancel the cruise. That would really bum me out. Thanks!

Sorry I can't answer whether any have actually been completely cancelled. But I do remember a thread last year when a cruise was delayed by a day because the ship could not safely get back into port (I believe it was out of NY) and therefore the next passengers had to wait a day until the ship came in.

We are on the Gem this Saturday out of NY to the Bahamas. I'm not concerned about re-routing since its the vacation and ship we are looking forward to. Just wondering if they ever cancel the cruise. That would really bum me out. Thanks!

No, they do not cancel. They have been a day late before, but never has NCL canceled a cruise for a hurricane.

Archived