If you could only do one thing

in St. Kitts, other than the beach, what would it be? We are fairly active, but not up to strenuous activities, and love to do something a little different than the typical tourist activities. There are so many shore excursions and things to do in St. Kitts, I don't know how to narrow it down.

in St. Kitts, other than the beach, what would it be? We are fairly active, but not up to strenuous activities, and love to do something a little different than the typical tourist activities. There are so many shore excursions and things to do in St. Kitts, I don't know how to narrow it down.

Well, we've done it three times, so i guess I have to say Brimstone Fort. St Kitts has a very organized taxi system. When you get off the ship tell the taxi guys where you want to go and if you want to be in a big group small group or medium group. They will find you a group to be with or a taxi that will take you on your own. I would say you want to go to the Batik fabric factory, then Brimstone, then finish the tour by driving around the island to the Atlatic side and to stop where you can see the waves crashing against the cliffs.

Brimstone is a very old fort that you can walk around with amazing views of the sea, not very strenuos a very nice place and they are continuing to fix more up.

The Batik factory is where they print silks using the Batik method, interesting and some different things to buy and bring back, and it is on the edge of the rainforest so it's really pretty.

The drive around the rest of the island is really pretty, interesting, and if you get a good taxi driver/tour guide, you will have a great time!

I think last time we paid around 20$ each there were 6 of us in the taxi. Make sure you have your price set before hand. And I think we had to also pay a few bucks to get into the fort.

• 4 weeks later...

The sugar train is a lot of fun and a great, relaxing way to see the island. I believe on days when ships are in port the only way to go on it is via a ship's tour, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

If you like glass, Glass Island Designz is a great little shop. They are on the north side of Independence Square, about 5-10 minutes' walk from the dock, and they have lots of beautiful items....dishes, wall hangings, earrings, pendants, etc.

When I was there a few months ago the owners said they might be moving closer to the airport for rent $$$ reasons, but their address is still showing Independence Square.

The sugar train is a lot of fun and a great, relaxing way to see the island. I believe on days when ships are in port the only way to go on it is via a ship's tour, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

If you like glass, Glass Island Designz is a great little shop. They are on the north side of Independence Square, about 5-10 minutes' walk from the dock, and they have lots of beautiful items....dishes, wall hangings, earrings, pendants, etc.

When I was there a few months ago the owners said they might be moving closer to the airport for rent $$$ reasons, but their address is still showing Independence Square.

The Sugar train tour is contracted out to all the ships that come to St. Kitts, so if you are on a cruise the only way is to go through the ship's excursion desk. The train is having its usual problems, only last Friday it broke down again at Mansion and that was that. Everyone got refunded. They have bought a new locomotive to replace the old one so that should be up and running soon I think. In the local papers, they did also say that the Scenic Rail was investing in transport that would be beneficial to those guests who were confined to wheelchairs. That would be good.

Archived