Looking for something different

Jamietravelstheworld

We will be having a port of call in San Juan. Maybe 5 years ago we spent several days in San Juan after a cruise, so am looking for something different to do. Have done the El Yunque Rain Forest, the Bacardi Factory, Old Town - would like something that would interest my 15 year as well.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be having a port of call in San Juan. Maybe 5 years ago we spent several days in San Juan after a cruise, so am looking for something different to do. Have done the El Yunque Rain Forest, the Bacardi Factory, Old Town - would like something that would interest my 15 year as well.

How about Zip-Lining?? We've done it twice, and I'm sure your 15 y/o would love it..

Bio(luminescence) -Bay --- it was, and continues to be, one of the best excursions we've ever taken. My DS was closer to 19 and he enjoyed it completely!

Unfortunately the OP stated they are only here on a port of call stop...... will probably leave @ 5 pm. So this won't work.

Have you looked into a tour to Camuy Caves ? Not sure of your port time but the caves are open from 8 am to 4 pm. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1346

Also, have heard lots of people really had a blast on a Segway tour. I bet your 15 yo would like that !

I don't know if there is a different between a port stop or a "port of call" stop, but we were in San Juan as a regular port stop from late afternoon to about midnight. Our trip to Bio-Bay was a cruise organized shore excursion -- which I chose due to our "funny" time in port and the distance to Bio-Bay. Since the OP didn't say what time they'd be leaving, and since our excursion to Bio-Bay was so tremendous, and since luminescent phytoplankton don't seem to be quite as ubiquitous as Segways --- I thought I'd take a shot!:D

I don't know if there is a different between a port stop or a "port of call" stop, but we were in San Juan as a regular port stop from late afternoon to about midnight. Our trip to Bio-Bay was a cruise organized shore excursion -- which I chose due to our "funny" time in port and the distance to Bio-Bay. Since the OP didn't say what time they'd be leaving, and since our excursion to Bio-Bay was so tremendous, and since luminescent phytoplankton don't seem to be quite as ubiquitous as Segways --- I thought I'd take a shot!:D

Didn't even think about having a weird time frame like that for a port stop. But then some of the cruise lines are adding port stops with really strange hours.

Having done a couple of cruises that left out of San Juan - and having a day or two pre cruise each time, I can't imagine only having a few hours from late afternoon until midnight. Of course there would always be Bio Bay :D

I saw this and am intrigued! We will be in port from 3-10p. Can we do this on our own or do we need to go through the cruise line?

What about transportation? I read that Fajardo Bay is closest. Our problem is that we'll be there during the full moon. Should we bother as the moonlight will obscure the luminescence?

Leaving at 10pm, you would be pushing it to do it on your own and make it back to the ship in time. There too much risk in cutting it that close.

In Fajardo, during a full moon, many operators bring a tarp or something similar to throw over your heads to obscure the moonlight.

Blah

guess I'll have to find something else

If the ship is offering the Bio Bay excursion, again, I suggest you consider it! They would have the timing down and with their excursions, you are protected against being left! And really ...:) Bio Bay is fantastic. I hope we get to go back sometime!

If the ship is offering the Bio Bay excursion, again, I suggest you consider it! They would have the timing down and with their excursions, you are protected against being left! And really ...:) Bio Bay is fantastic. I hope we get to go back sometime!

I would REALLY like to do this, but we'll be there during a full moon - plus it will be in February.

I've read that winter time is not the best time as the plankton aren't all that active. Add the full moon - really not thrilled with having to cover my head with a tarp - and it just doen't scream fun to me. As much as I really want to go, I'm hesitant.

We're in port from 3 - 10. Doesn't give us much time to walk around OSJ. Oh and we'll be there on a Monday night - the ONLY night when there aren't Flamenco dancers! Sound more and more like this port is going to be a bust for us!

Anyone have any suggestions/reassurance? :confused:

We have visited PR several times,but only during a cruise port stop (DH) won't fly! The time on the island is always late afternoon until about midnight. We've done all the usual excursions and walked around the local shops too. This trip we are docking on 11/18 from 4:00- 11:30 and we're looking for something new just like the OP.

I have been researching some traditional restaurants in the cruise port area serving authentic cuisine. Any and all suggestions welcome!! Thank you, Laurie

CaroleSS - How do you know there are no dancers on Monday night? That's when we are there and I've been trying to find this excursion. Our ship offers that excursion on Monday night but it is $69. pp., which I think is way too much. I've been trying for weeks to find out about doing this on our own, but no one seems to know much. If anyone has any ifo I sure would appreciate some. Thanks for some help!

My upcoming cruise offers the Bio-bay tour and I really would love to go on it. However, it's a kayak trip and very long. I've never kayaked and I'm not sure a 5+ hour trip is the place to start. It does sound great.

My upcoming cruise offers the Bio-bay tour and I really would love to go on it. However, it's a kayak trip and very long. I've never kayaked and I'm not sure a 5+ hour trip is the place to start. It does sound great.

There is a tour that goes by electric boat. If you don't want to kayak, you might consider it.

You're not really kayaking for that long - maybe an hour for the round trip in and out of the lagoon. If you have problems, the guides will hook you up to their kayak and tow you in and out. After all, they're on a pretty tight schedule for the early group (the tour for cruisers is the first of two tours for the night), so they have to get you and the kayaks back to the dock in time for the next group.

I don't know that the electric boat is available for cruisers. When I tried to contact the operator last year, never got a response.

You're not really kayaking for that long - maybe an hour for the round trip in and out of the lagoon. If you have problems, the guides will hook you up to their kayak and tow you in and out. After all, they're on a pretty tight schedule for the early group (the tour for cruisers is the first of two tours for the night), so they have to get you and the kayaks back to the dock in time for the next group.

I don't know that the electric boat is available for cruisers. When I tried to contact the operator last year, never got a response.

thanks all for your responses. I didn't see an electric boat tour on my personalizer. Since I've NEVER been in a kayak, I think I'll pass this time. I've booked a hike in the rain forest.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am slow in returning to this thread -- but ....

the kayaking part is very little ... I'd never been in a kayak before, and I don't particularly enjoy athletic type stuff, and I didn't find the kayaking bad at all! It really is NOT a rigorous excursion ... and SOOOOO wonderfully different!:)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I took a Flavors of Old San Juan walking dinner tour a week and a half ago. Lots of information about history, culture, etc. of PR in between stops at restaurants for what amounted to a progressve dinner of traditional Puerto Rican foods. The price included 2 alcoholic drinks, one coffee, appetizers, main courses and desserts. It lasted almost 3 hours and was great.

The company also does a lunch tour as well. I don't know much about it or how long, but I would think it would be similar to the dinner tour.

I'd do it again.

Archived