cut the cards-use the safe

starsteveo

Question for the techies... OK so i know you can use any card with a magnetic strip on the back to lock and unlock the safe. If I were to use say an old gift card, could I cut the card in half and have two keys that would still work the safe?

I would guess no. You'd only be getting half of the information embedded in the magnetic strip if you cut the card in half. Besides you have to swipe a card every time you lock the safe...

I thought of that but that is assuming the card info runs in one long line across the card like this ---1---2---3---4--- , but what if it runs like this -1234-1234-1234-1234-1234- ? Then each piece would have same info? I don't know but I bet someone does. Of coarse I would not lock the safe then cut it:eek:.

Question for the techies... OK so i know you can use any card with a magnetic strip on the back to lock and unlock the safe. If I were to use say an old gift card, could I cut the card in half and have two keys that would still work the safe?

I got the idea from having to sign up for a shopping card at a store recently and they gave me a big card with one long strip on it that you had to break apart to make one wallet card and two keyring cards. Of coarse I lost the little ones before I thought about the cruise safes:D.

In most magnetic stripe cards, the magnetic stripe is contained in a plastic-like film. The magnetic stripe is located 0.223 inches (5.56 mm) from the edge of the card, and is 0.375 inches (9.52 mm) wide. The magnetic stripe contains three tracks, each 0.110 inches (2.79 mm) wide. Tracks one and three are typically recorded at 210 bits per inch (8.27 bits per mm), while track two typically has a recording density of 75 bits per inch (2.95 bits per mm). Each track can either contain 7-bit alphanumeric characters, or 5-bit numeric characters.

thank Wikipedia

ok there is the tech part

The data is repeated multiple times so that if part of the card stripe becomes scratched it is still readable. "MOST" not all cards use linear tracks. but don't know if it has a "data start line" and "data stop line"

sorry without trying it i don't have a answer:cool:

sorry long winded for nothing .

In most magnetic stripe cards, the magnetic stripe is contained in a plastic-like film. The magnetic stripe is located 0.223 inches (5.56 mm) from the edge of the card, and is 0.375 inches (9.52 mm) wide. The magnetic stripe contains three tracks, each 0.110 inches (2.79 mm) wide. Tracks one and three are typically recorded at 210 bits per inch (8.27 bits per mm), while track two typically has a recording density of 75 bits per inch (2.95 bits per mm). Each track can either contain 7-bit alphanumeric characters, or 5-bit numeric characters.

thank Wikipedia

The data is repeated multiple times so that if part of the card stripe becomes scratched it is still readable. "MOST" not all cards use linear tracks. but don't know if it has a "data start line" and "data stop line"

How about that... a Hillbilly with a great tech answer LOL. That was awesome info. Well done sir. :cool:

thank Wikipedia

LOL. I was doing my very best to follow along with all that, anticipating the outcome at the end. You got me!

lol sorry about that, but if it doesn't have a "start" and an "end" data line it possible could work. i'm going in 88 days and i will take some cards to test.:cool:

That will be too late for me but rest assured I will check back for your results anyway.

We use hotel room keys from the night before we leave. Found that most of the limited service Marriott Properties when they encode the cards, are identical. So the two when we check in are the two for the safe.

Found that if they make another key for the room at a different time, they are different.

lol sorry about that, but if it doesn't have a "start" and an "end" data line it possible could work. i'm going in 88 days and i will take some cards to test.:cool:

Each track has a "start" and "end" code. The 3 tracks are in parallel so it's highly doubtful this will work, but hey, I've been wrong before. :)

This will not work. The Start and Stop do not have to be in the same place for the track data across the card. So, even if you had a micro reader to figure out the start and stop, the data on track one does not need to line up with track two since they are different lines of data.

I work for the largest retail store solution provider in the world, providing support and coding for a self check out unit. I have had to spend hours encoding, then testing reads from cards.

Your best bet is to do what a poster listed above, and ask for 3 or 4 cards at the hotel the day before (all encoded at the same time). These should all work with the same encoded data, unless they track each one by the card issue.

Can someone answer this one?

If we both have keychain cards to the same account at our local grocery store, could we use both of those to open & close the safe? I would assume they are coded the same, being the same account, etc...

Anyone know?

We use hotel room keys from the night before we leave. Found that most of the limited service Marriott Properties when they encode the cards, are identical. So the two when we check in are the two for the safe.

Found that if they make another key for the room at a different time, they are different.

That is a GREAT idea! we leave tonight and I will get two key cards and see if that works!! Thanks for the tip!!

:D

Can someone answer this one?

If we both have keychain cards to the same account at our local grocery store, could we use both of those to open & close the safe? I would assume they are coded the same, being the same account, etc...

Anyone know?

The standard format has pre-planned "blank" areas where an individual bank (or store) can put extra data in for various reasons. There's no telling which part of which track the room safes will use. You can try when you get aboard, but your best odds are with the two hotel key cards created at the same time as mentioned by others.

Archived