Any trouble getting to the Tropicante?

k&johio

Has anyone had trouble getting to the Tropicante?

I received an email back from them and kind of jokingly he said don't worry if the locals tell you they no longer exist or drop you at thier cousins place. Just to laugh it off and don't worry.

I am only mildly worried as we are travelling with our kids and wouldn't want them to feel unsettled.

Any experience is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

There is nothing in Costa Maya you need to worry about safety wise. Those guys tell everyone to take outside taxis and that is good advice I think. Taxis are union regulated so the drivers don't jack your fees or drop you where they get paid the most. The inside shuttles are contracted by the port through an outside company that is not regulated and those guys are probably what they were talking about. They drop you wherever they want it seems. Taxis will drop you right at the Tropicante or wherever you ask. When you get into a taxi in Mexico, always ask the rate first, union rules require they carry a rate sheet, it is $2 per person in Costa Maya, and use the taxi number with the driver. Say something like "Buenos dias Senior #45". You are letting him know, in a very subtle way, you have his number and could report him to the union. He will always give perfect service. Almost all the people and taxi drivers though are very friendly so your kids should enjoy themselves.

We were just there on the 23rd.

Taxi dropped us off about a block from Tropicante and then told us which way to go. No problems whatsoever. It was an awesome day. And Steve is just as nice and friendly as everyone says.

We had th same email from Steve and I had the same concerns :). We did walk to the taxi stand outside the port area as Steve suggested and they dropped us off just beside the restaurant. We had our boys with us, they were 6&4 yrs at the time and were perfectly able to walk to the taxi stand with us.

BTW, if you like to use car seats, I found taxis with 3 point seat belts and the drivers were more than happy to let me install both seats. The staff at Tropicante stored the seats in the restaurant while we were at the beach and helped us find another taxi with seatbelts fr the ride back to port.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived