Royal Carb. rip offs

petrellad

Royal Carb. rip offs

I recently got back from an RC cruise in Civitavecchia. I couldn't believe the many ways RC tries to take your money. One being your transportation options from Civitavecchia. We wanted to get from the port to the train station. Here were my options:

1.RC charges $23 per person (3 people x $23 = $69)

2.Take a cab ($15 in total). Most cabs were already reserved so this didn't work out.

3.Take FREE shuttle bus to port entrance (3 minutes) and then walk for 10 minutes.

We took the 3rd option but you are only made aware of option 2 and 3 as you walk out the ship. Option 1 is the only option RC talks about in the ship.

This is only one example. Do your research.

Wow, I can't believe all the comments I received. Some people on this board should take a deep breath and relax. I'm just informing anyone who is interested. Someone said it was sad that I didn't want to spend $15. That's not the point. Have a nice day.

I don't know, some may think you should have taken a deep breath before you posted but I could be wrong...or not.

I recently got back from an RC cruise in Civitavecchia. I couldn't believe the many ways RC tries to take your money. One being your transportation options from Civitavecchia. We wanted to get from the port to the train station. Here were my options:

2.Take a cab ($15 in total). Most cabs were already reserved so this didn't work out.

3.Take FREE shuttle bus to port entrance (3 minutes) and then walk for 10 minutes.

We took the 3rd option but you are only made aware of option 2 and 3 as you walk out the ship. Option 1 is the only option RC talks about in the ship.

Realize that for some folks on this same cruise, $69 for three people, to have RCI take care of everything (I'm guessing they would have schlepped the luggage for you) and get you to the train station, was the best money spent during the entire trip!

Some people don't want to do the research, others get overwhelmed and paralyzed in their tracks at the thought of figuring out this on their own (w/out a safety net--in their mind). This last option fits the bill for a few types of travelers. And for those folks, $69 is such a small price to pay for their peace of mind.

But in your case, you were able to take option 3 and NOT pay RCI the $69. So you are upset at RCI for a more expensive transportation option that you almost took?

This is the same as tours offered by cruise lines. In many cases, you can find much cheaper tour operators on your own--often run by the same companies that work with the cruise lines. But some passengers GLADLY pay the cruise line for the same tour for the peace of mind.

I would say you learned a valuable lesson for only $69....but then I have to remind myself that you didn't choose that option.

:/

We all have our little side conversations within a thread from time to time. You have noithing to appologizize for.

Yeah, I know, but it made him feel better. :p

But you gotta know, food at the Masters for regular folks is pretty simple and straight forward - sandwiches, chips, beeer, soft drinks, ice cream - and really inexpensive! The one major event of the year that doesn't charge extreme prices. Just takes an act of God to get in. ;)

Yeah, I know, but it made him feel better. :p

But you gotta know, food at the Masters for regular folks is pretty simple and straight forward - sandwiches, chips, beeer, soft drinks, ice cream - and really inexpensive! The one major event of the year that doesn't charge extreme prices. Just takes an act of God to get in. ;)

As far as I am concerned the best part about the Masters golf tournament is the music. I like the theme song "Augusta".:)

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of whining and crying on these boards lately? Seems like it all started with Isaac "ruining" peoples' cruise and has only spread from there.

Don't mean to be rude but what does all this have to do with the topic ? You might want to start a golf chat forum

Wow, I guess I caused this by responding to the comments about prices at the U.S. Open. Didn't see this last night as I had logged off.

temple1, sorry you got called out and not me. Smooth waters for you.

Wow, I guess I caused this by responding to the comments about prices at the U.S. Open. Didn't see this last night as I had logged off.

temple1, sorry you got called out and not me. Smooth waters for you.

See my post #53 above that I wrote to temple. It applies to you too.:)

Wow, I can't believe all the comments I received. Some people on this board should take a deep breath and relax. I'm just informing anyone who is interested. Someone said it was sad that I didn't want to spend $15. That's not the point. Have a nice day.

Hey relax, you missed the whole point of my post. It has nothing to do with saving$69. Sad? What are you talking about. I' just making people aware of their options.

The snide comments you received reminded me why I've not bothered with forums for some years. Par for the course really - just to keep the golf hi-jack going ;)

As I mentioned in my reply, thanks for telling things like they are - charging way over the odds for a product or service is a rip-off and deserves the title.

The service RCI provides is not the same as the other choices mentioned. It is direct transfer to the train station. Taking the free shuttle only gets you to the end of the port. You'd have to walk to the station from there. As others have pointed out, there aren't always taxis available either. Furthermore, as others have pointed out, RCI provides detail of the free port shuttle in the daily compass.

If you are doing ports on your own, the least you can do is 10 minutes of research. To me, this thread is no different than a thread explaining why buying euros on the ship is a rip off (minimal research will tell you to use ATMs in port). If you don't want to put any effort into a $10K vacation, either do ship excursions or some research. Blaming cruise lines for trying to rip you off won't get too much credence.

:eek: Convenience is or may be worth the price. Do your homework before you go. Clearly stated in tickets transportation is on your own.

Hey relax, you missed the whole point of my post. It has nothing to do with saving$69. Sad? What are you talking about. I' just making people aware of their options.

No, you're not. You used the word "ripoff" in your thread title, which gives your OPINION of the situation, rather than simply "making people aware of their options.

"Newbie" or not, I don't feel much sympathy for anyone that plunks down thousands of dollars for a vacation and does not research/plan thoroughly.

Well, I think there are a considerable number of people who are perfectly happy paying extra in order to not have to do any research and/or make as few decisions as possible. All they want to do is get to the ship, book ship excursions and get off the ship and back to the airport with as little effort as possible. I have friends like this and they want EZ.

No, you're not. You used the word "ripoff" in your thread title, which gives your OPINION of the situation, rather than simply "making people aware of their options.

Yep.....if the OP had titled it, FYI, it would have been a totally different story and likewise, the responses would have been different.

Sorry but I don't want to look it up. You make the clame that ways rci rips you off. then you only give one example. Its up to you to back your statement and you failed very bad.

Well I am a little disappointed in the feedback on this thread. It is worth bearing in mind that many passengers on a Mediterranean cruise will not be from the US and this has been proven by the lack of contribution to roll calls, and so they are unaware of the existence of Cruise Critic and vast amount of information available.

On our recent Mariner sailing out of Civitavecchia, passengers from the US and UK (who do appear to be the largest users of CC) were in the minority. As an example our M&M roll call was very small and we did not meet the required number of 25 for an official RCI M&M.

Now, back to the issue being discussed which is the cost and perceived 'rip off' that RCI are being accused of regarding port shuttles.

Please also bear in mind, that although passengers on the cruise may not be avid readers of CC, but with being from Europe they may be familiar with the ports of call and could perceive the costs of a shuttle and the service it provides as a little expensive.

On our sailing RCI charged $12 per person for 'unlimited' use of a shuttle in Genoa, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca and $15 per person in Valencia.

None required for Cannes as this was a tender port.

Alternatively, you could by a package to include all the shuttles for $42, a saving of $9 per person.

Now, what I find a little misrepresentative on the part of RCI is that no obvious mention was made that if you purchased a shore excursion through RCI, that upon return to the ship, your tour sticker gave you the ability to use the shuttles free of charge. So, if you were not fully informed, you could purchase the shuttles in advance (either singly or the package) from Explorations or Guest Relations as they were advertised on day 1 with your Cruise Compass, then turn up at the meeting point for your tour (maybe a half day tour as was the case with us) only to hear the staff tell you that your sticker allowed you to use the shuttles for free. This then means you've paid for the shuttle twice and remember, once purchased, your shuttle tickets are non refundable.

Also the drop of points for some of the shuttles leaves a little to be desired.

In Barcelona for example, the shuttle takes you the grand distance of 2 km (1.25 miles). You will then need to walk over another 1/2 mile to get to the major tourist attractions of the Columbus Monument at the end of Las Ramblas or Port Vell. There is nothing at the drop off point other than a hotel.

Now, in Barcelona when you get off the ship, next to the terminal exit, there is a 'Blue' bus which runs when cruise ships are in port, and costs €2.50 ($3) per person to take you all the way to the Columbus Monument at the end of Las Ramblas.

In Valencia part of our shore excursion included a tour though the city centre, during which we were advised and shown the shuttle drop off point which was no where near the major centre sights. Also later in the day, the cost of the shuttle didn't even provide you with the comfort of a luxury coach which is what you would expect, but just a local bus.

Now I will also make reference to the several posts on here that imply that if you are spending $10k on a Med cruise that you should be prepared for the shuttle costs and by mentioning the costs are being considered cheap.

Please remember, it may cost $10k to travel from the US to join a Med cruise, but for many, as I mentioned above, who are joining these sailings from their homes in Europe, the cost will be a lot less and so the additional shuttle costs can again be perceived as expensive and so it is a little unkind IMHO to 'attack' people like has been the case on this thread.

No doubt many of the contributors to this thread will pick holes in my arguments, so go ahead, but I have provided feedback from my actual experience. How many of you have actually sailed with RCI in the Med this summer?

Didn't know the shuttle bus was free - so thank you for that advise. Still unsure what I want to do - want to see outside vatician, not actually go in . Want to to the trivi fountain - may book the angels/demons trip as I quite fancy that as well :eek:

Hi, there is no charge to go inside St Peters, its really worth going inside as its stunning

Well I am a little disappointed in the feedback on this thread. It is worth bearing in mind that many passengers on a Mediterranean cruise will not be from the US and this has been proven by the lack of contribution to roll calls, and so they are unaware of the existence of Cruise Critic and vast amount of information available...

...No doubt many of the contributors to this thread will pick holes in my arguments, so go ahead, but I have provided feedback from my actual experience. How many of you have actually sailed with RCI in the Med this summer?

All good points but to title his post: Royal Carb. rip offs and start it with:

I recently got back from an RC cruise in Civitavecchia. I couldn't believe the many ways RC tries to take your money.

is a pretty unfair characterization. That's where the unkind words come from.

Archived