Gratuity advice

sammysetra

Greetings from Scotland!

I am departing on our first Oceania cruise on this coming Tuesday. It's a 14 night TA aboard Regatta. I was reviewing the paperwork this morning and noticed that there was nothing mentioned on our invoice about pre-paid gratuities. I called our agent (I'm in the UK) and he told me that Oceania don't offer the facility of pre-paid gratuities unless it was part of a promotional offer, such as a group deal. I find that strange, but hey ho we'll go with the flow.

My question to the more experienced Oceania cruisers is this - we're lucky enough to be staying in a suite where we have the services of a butler. On previous cruises we've used the butler very little, but still tipped on top of the pre-paid gratuities. My agent suggested asking the front desk to remove the automatic daily charge of $5 per person and then to tip as we go. Does anyone have advice as to the best way to do things?

Really looking forward to the trip. Each day I've been reading the overnight posts about Oceania and it sounds like it should be a wonderful experience.

Many thanks for your thoughts (and patience on a question that I am sure has been asked before!!) :rolleyes:

I can't speak for your particular cruise but on our last Oceania cruise we were given pre paid gratuities and we are to depart on another Sept 30th from Dover and that has them as well. I always give a bit over the pre paid in cash to both the butler and the stateroom attendant.

My question to the more experienced Oceania cruisers is this - we're lucky enough to be staying in a suite where we have the services of a butler. On previous cruises we've used the butler very little, but still tipped on top of the pre-paid gratuities. My agent suggested asking the front desk to remove the automatic daily charge of $5 per person and then to tip as we go. Does anyone have advice as to the best way to do things?

Why don't you just leave the automatic daily gratuities as they are, then tip the butler extra if you feel he has gone out of his way to provide exemplary service to you?

I agree with Aruba ...leave the daily amount as is

But be sure to tell your butler what you want up front they do not read your mind ;)

SOSH...not all TA's give the prepaid gratuities as part of the booking & people from outside of North America may not even be included in the plan

Greetings from Scotland!

I am departing on our first Oceania cruise on this coming Tuesday. It's a 14 night TA aboard Regatta. I was reviewing the paperwork this morning and noticed that there was nothing mentioned on our invoice about pre-paid gratuities. I called our agent (I'm in the UK) and he told me that Oceania don't offer the facility of pre-paid gratuities unless it was part of a promotional offer, such as a group deal. I find that strange, but hey ho we'll go with the flow.

Really looking forward to the trip. Each day I've been reading the overnight posts about Oceania and it sounds like it should be a wonderful experience.

Many thanks for your thoughts (and patience on a question that I am sure has been asked before!!) :rolleyes:

Hello from a fellow "Weegie"....! I'm on the same crossing as you and looking forward to it. I keep the auto tip and buy the butler and his assistant a small gift as a thank you. It's purely a matter of personal preference, but Ive never had an issue with tipping and believe that the best service is on Oceania. You will love Regtta, I know I do. Why not join the Roll Call?

Like I've said before when you get great service the amount Oceania puts on your account just isn't enough. We give the butler and the cleaning person extra gratuities. Usually within the first 3 days, than again 3 days later and once more near the end of the cruise. We also tip extra to others depending on the service we get. To us it makes for a better vacation, and that's what it's all about--to enjoy your trip.

Rick

Please don't ALL jump all over me, but Ron you just said "it makes for a better trip" or something like that. I just don't think you should give PAX the impression they should go around tipping everyone in order to have a good time. We have only cruised 4 times and all on Oceania and we have never tipped anything besides the automatic Gratuity on our shipboard statement that we pay in full before disembarking. All 4 cruises have been fabulous and it does not matter what cabin class you are in. We found we were treated just as well as the suite passengers joining us at a table in Polo or chatting with PH people at a table in Terrace Cafe. There are other TIP questions on other threads where people feel they should tip the maitre'd in order to get a table for 2, sit at the window, extra specialty nights, etc. We witnessed a tip being given on our first cruise and the maitre'd was embarrassed and handed it back. If you want extra specialty bookings it is all in the way you ask. AND yes if we were in a cabin with butler we would pass him an envelope at end of cruise.

Like I've said before when you get great service the amount Oceania puts on your account just isn't enough. We give the butler and the cleaning person extra gratuities. Usually within the first 3 days, than again 3 days later and once more near the end of the cruise. We also tip extra to others depending on the service we get. To us it makes for a better vacation, and that's what it's all about--to enjoy your trip.

Rick

I wonder what your experience would be if you did not tip extra in the beginning or during the cruise??

Maybe try that & see how it compares ;)

Lyn

Like PSCaledonia I leave the auto tip on, including the Butler add-on.

I always get my butler/steward a small gift from somewhere along the itinerary - I usually ascertain where the crew member has had some shore time, and then buy them something from a port where they haven't had the chance to visit, or, if they have children back home I sometimes get a small gift for their child.

One thing I haven't done on Oceania, but I have on Silversea, Sea Dream and Fred. Olsen is to make a donation to the crew welfare fund.....I'm not sure if Oceania have such a scheme, but on the three lines I mentioned the crew are told which passengers have donated.

On 3 cruises with Oceania I've never had anything other than exemplary service (apart from one over zealous, unknowledgable sommelier who was dealt with by ship board management & is probably no longer on an O ship), with my approach & don't intend to change my ways :)

Thanks CSM for the heads up on the crew welfare fund, never thought of that. Does anyone know if such a things exists on O?

As for getting good service, I find a smile and good manners towards the crew helps. Treat others how you wish to be treated yourself, as my grandmother would say!

I really like the crew fund idea! :D

Like PSCaledonia I leave the auto tip on, including the Butler add-on.

I always get my butler/steward a small gift from somewhere along the itinerary - I usually ascertain where the crew member has had some shore time, and then buy them something from a port where they haven't had the chance to visit, or, if they have children back home I sometimes get a small gift for their child."

I personally would never do this. First you cannot be sure, at all, that your taste in something fits with the Butler or Stewardesss's taste. Second, they have to fly home, presumably with the "gift" in economy and must be trying hard to stay within weight limits AND take things home that they know their family needs. A small cash tip, at the end of the cruise - over and above the daily amount charged to one's onboard account - enables the staff to get what they want and not be lumbered with something they do not need!

On Regent tips are included. But we have always given something at the end to the butler and Stewardess IF service was "above and beyond..." which it often was. On our last cruise it was so outstanding that we tipped our butler $100 and the stewardess $30. They both protested that it was not necessary but they had been so terrific we wanted to do it!!

Like PSCaledonia I leave the auto tip on' date=' including the Butler add-on.

I always get my butler/steward a small gift from somewhere along the itinerary - I usually ascertain where the crew member has had some shore time, and then buy them something from a port where they haven't had the chance to visit, or, if they have children back home I sometimes get a small gift for their child."

I personally would never do this. First you cannot be sure, at all, that your taste in something fits with the Butler or Stewardesss's taste. Second, they have to fly home, presumably with the "gift" in economy and must be trying hard to stay within weight limits AND take things home that they know their family needs. A small cash tip, at the end of the cruise - over and above the daily amount charged to one's onboard account - enables the staff to get what they want and not be lumbered with something they do not need!

On Regent tips are included. But we have always given something at the end to the butler and Stewardess IF service was "above and beyond..." which it often was. On our last cruise it was so outstanding that we tipped our butler $100 and the stewardess $30. They both protested that it was not necessary but they had been so terrific we wanted to do it!![/quote']

I agree, forget the little "gifts" as it is money the crew would like. They are very capable to buy small gifts for their children should the want to.

They can all you the extra money and are always very happy to get a nice note and a Ben Franklin (S). A butler can be a very valuable commodity especially on a long cruise.:)

We always tip the butler, room attendant and his/her assistant in the middle of the cruise. I never find any difference in the quality of their work after tipping. I do it because they work hard, take care of my requests, are pleasant and efficient and because they can use the extra money for their families. I am blessed because I can do it for them.

Interesting responses.... However, at risk of stating the obvious and the expectant comments which will follow, its pretty obvious that the issue of tipping etc is a HIGHLY personal and subjective preference.

It also demonstrates a cultural divide as wide as the Atlantic, which this thread illustrates so well. Each country has it's own way of doing things. What is acceptable in the USA may not be seen as correct in the UK, then again continental Europe have their own traditions of service and so on.

If you feel it necssary to give the butler a "bung", to ensure decent "service", then fine, but not everyone feels the need to do so or would be comfortable doing this.

Similarly, there are those who believe that where they pay via the auto-tip then such extra tipping is not necessary, which is also fine.

In the end, it's up to the individual, do what you feel comfortable with and what you are used to doing. As long as you are polite and treat the crew as human beings, you will get good service.

You get all-sorts on cruises........ I;)

Just enjoy the trip and don't be put off, its supposed to be a holiday after all!

Thank you all so very much for your feedback. it has helped me greatly.

It is wonderful to have access to such knowledgeable and experienced travel advisors

I am typing this note on a train which is somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow. It has started to rain, the skies are grey and I can't wait for next Tuesday !! Thanks again.

Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same???!!!! :D

I've never had occasion to complain about my butler/steward, and have only ever received exemplary service....so for me, my approach works & I won't be changing it any time soon....

Sammy....I guess that's you speeding through Falkirk.....I'm sure you'll find what works for you!:)

+1

I couldn't agree more with this logic.

PS Reminds me of a "legendary/infamous" couple on Princess with 1000+ nights who were avid trivia players (some say they cheated by bringing written answers from prior games with them).

They would often win (and pout & argue when they didn't) and then give these prizes to the stewards instead of cash.

+1

I couldn't agree more with this logic.

PS Reminds me of a "legendary/infamous" couple on Princess with 1000+ nights who were avid trivia players (some say they cheated by bringing written answers from prior games with them).

They would often win (and pout & argue when they didn't) and then give these prizes to the stewards instead of cash.

I don't play trivia :rolleyes:

Thank you all so very much for your feedback. it has helped me greatly.

It is wonderful to have access to such knowledgeable and experienced travel advisors

I am typing this note on a train which is somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow. It has started to rain, the skies are grey and I can't wait for next Tuesday !! Thanks again.

Falkirk in the rain! :D I know that route well..... Safe travels and give my best to Glasgow! Roll on Tuesday...

:p

I don't play trivia :rolleyes:

Playing trivia is not the point here - giving "trivial gifts" to the staff as a reward for their hard work may be. :rolleyes:

These people work very hard to support themselves or their families and to do that they need money, not unsolicited gifts they may neither want, need or even like.

That is what I do anyway, YMMV.

I gave a "gift" on one of our Panama trips

The waiter who we liked & (sat in his section often) had mentioned he liked good strong coffee & what they had on the ship was not his taste

He mentioned he had his own coffee pot ..french press where he would make his own morning coffee

He was not able to get off in Cartegena so we picked up a bag of Columbian coffee while we were buying beans for ourselves

His face lit up so bright when we gave him the bag

They also received a cash tip on the last night

One of the new crew was having issues with the motion of the ocean on another trip so I had a bag of ginger candy that I did not need so gave him the bag ...he was so grateful ...every time he saw us he would thank us again

For them Cash is king

Maybe I didn't express myself right....What I was saying when we get great service, better than good service we tip extra as we go. We just don't tip to tip, but tip for going the extra mile. These people work for a living, most people taking the cruise wouldn't work for those wage's-but expect more in service than what's normal. You read it on this board everyday how people want more, more, more but want to pay less. I want good value for my dollar, but I'm willing to pay for what I get. I pay for a suite, because I expect more services than a lower cabin-but when people do extra you should reward them extra.

I gave a "gift" on one of our Panama trips

The waiter who we liked & (sat in his section often) had mentioned he liked good strong coffee & what they had on the ship was not his taste

He mentioned he had his own coffee pot ..french press where he would make his own morning coffee

He was not able to get off in Cartegena so we picked up a bag of Columbian coffee while we were buying beans for ourselves

His face lit up so bright when we gave him the bag

They also received a cash tip on the last night

One of the new crew was having issues with the motion of the ocean on another trip so I had a bag of ginger candy that I did not need so gave him the bag ...he was so grateful ...every time he saw us he would thank us again

For them Cash is king

Lyn,

Of course your gifts fall into a different category as they were both desired and welcome - things that staff couldn't get themselves. Those types of gifts make sense, but as you said - cash is king.

We too have befriended a nice young man from Myanmar who did not work directly with passengers (neither steward nor wait staff) and gave him cash to use during the ship's stop in NYC, where he had a day off; later we sent him a San Francisco T shirt & DVD (SF was the origin of our cruise that you were on as well). We've had numerous e mails from him since and we have kept in touch.

So yes, some gifts do make sense but not in place of cash, IMO

Archived