Mariner easter cruise issues

We are considering the 3/24 sailing of Mariner out of Galveston. However I have heard horror stories about the Easter sailing due to the large amount of Mexican citizens on board. PLEASE do not twist or deliberately misunderstand this or my intent. We enjoy a diverse mix of cultures onboard. However, the sailing is impacted since customs and immigration will take longer and many onboard activities are restructured to take this into account. I merely want to know if the holiday is the 3/24 or the 3/31 sailing so I can book with full knowledge. Does anyone know when the holiday crowd sails? Easter is March 31 this year.

All Holiday cruises will be pretty much full ships....whenever schools let out, folks will go on vacation! School breaks occur throughout March and into April...so there's not only 1 week when everyone is off!

We've sailed over Easter a couple of times....full ship...not a problem. The ship's are designed to sail full. We've never been "impacted" by customs or immigration....as a matter of fact, I can't remember having anything to do with that, except for passing thru customs when leaving the cruise....not a big deal!

You do need to be aware that some of your ports may not be "up and running" if you stop on a religious holiday....that's happened to us, where little is open. In that case, an excursion is your best bet...or a beach!

I'm sorry but I have no idea so I can't help you. What I don't understand is how do customs or immigration procedures impact the sailing? Those weeks and the ones surrounding them have the same departure time of 4:30 PM and I doubt they can start boarding any earlier due to disembarkation of the prior cruise. So why do you think it will take longer those weeks? And once everyone (regardless of nationality) is on board you sail. How would any onboard activities be affected by this? Curious also about what "horror stories" you've heard.

I know we boarded one Easter Sunday and they didn't start boarding until after 1 pm. The reason was customs and immigration ran WAY BEHIND because they had over 1000 Mexican nationals to process. So yes, it can and does impact sailings - at least out of Galveston. I guess that time most were on the week BEFORE Easter.

I know we boarded one Easter Sunday and they didn't start boarding until after 1 pm. The reason was customs and immigration ran WAY BEHIND because they had over 1000 Mexican nationals to process. So yes, it can and does impact sailings - at least out of Galveston. I guess that time most were on the week BEFORE Easter.

Understood that the preboarding was more conjested - but it didn't delay (or impact) your sailing correct? You still left on time I assume. And the other question I asked the OP was how would this impact on board activities? The implication was that this would occur because of the large number of Mexican nationals. The statement was "..many onboard activities are restructured to take this into account". Sorry - I just don't understand this. Most cruises have a mix of international guests and no on board activities (in our experience) have been affected by this.

Well yeah it impacted our sailing. We boarded 3 hours late, we had no sailaway since we left port late. We did hear MANY negative comments from staffers about issues the previous week - mainly about little to no parental supervision to no tipping. Personally, we will try to avoid Easter AND spring break but it can be hard to do if you want to a spring cruise.

Well yeah it impacted our sailing. We boarded 3 hours late, we had no sailaway since we left port late. We did hear MANY negative comments from staffers about issues the previous week - mainly about little to no parental supervision to no tipping. Personally, we will try to avoid Easter AND spring break but it can be hard to do if you want to a spring cruise.

Sorry - your first response wasn't clear about the lack of sailaway and leaving port late - just that boarding didn't start until 1. That is unfortunate. And the rest is unpleasent as well, but frankly is somewhat typical of many school break timed sailings - except for the no tipping which is uncalled for with any cruise! Better luck in the future!

I believe the Mexican National Holiday week is the week prior to Easter. I'm sure someone else can confirm. I also have heard that some of the normal onboard activities are changed for the difference in the volume of different nationalities. It's not a "bad" thing, just different than those who went were expecting. I agree with understanding what week you are going and doing your research. So often someone comes back after the cruise and complains and the posters all say "you should have came here and asked first". You are doing that before hand :) Too bad I'm not positive of the date...

From About.com Guide writer Suzanne Barbezat:

"Semana Santa (Holy Week) is the week before Easter, from Palm Sunday (Domingo de Ramos) to Easter Sunday (Domingo de Pascua), but since students (and some workers) enjoy a two-week break at this time, the full week preceding Easter as well as the following week comprise the Semana Santa holiday."

"Since schools in Mexico have a two-week vacation period at this time, this is effectively Spring Break for Mexicans."

Holy Week is March 25-31, 2013.

Archived