Cruise Critic Community
Nickey Doo

Docking locations on Budapest to Amsterdam River Cruise

We are planning a river cruise in 29013 sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam, and we have heard stories about some ships docking some distance from the town centers, requiring a bus or taxi ride to get into town. We would appreciate any information regarding this.

We are leaning toward Uniworld, but would also love to hear about Ama, Avalon, Tauck, Scenic, and other lines.

Thanks in advance.

We did Scenic cruise in June some of the docking locations you could walk to town but not as many as they lead you to believe

Here is the link to see the daily program from our cruise ..just click "next" on the right to see the following days programs

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2661217580101934561uBIDvg

Edited by LHT28

Cruised Budapest to Prague in July 2012 on Amacerto. Docked walking distance to town center for all ports. Nice new ship, too bad the pool was never open. Some how we were behind schedule and had shortened port time, which made the docking location even more important.

There are a lot of River Cruise Companies and a lot of boats plying the waterways of Europe. As such the docking spaces are limited and way under the boats on the rivers. The local Authorities determine who docks where in various stops and it is not unusual to have river boats moored 3 or 4 abreast at the one wharf space . So you might walk through 3 other boats to get to yours .

Be careful with your privacy too we arrived in one town late afternoon and tied up to wharf . Next morning in my jocks I flung open my curtain on the outside of the boat to find another boat alongside with a well dressed senior citizen penning a note to friends back home !!! Needles to say we were both a bit surprised .

We are planning a river cruise in 29013 sailing from Budapest to Amsterdam, and we have heard stories about some ships docking some distance from the town centers, requiring a bus or taxi ride to get into town. We would appreciate any information regarding this.

We are leaning toward Uniworld, but would also love to hear about Ama, Avalon, Tauck, Scenic, and other lines.

Thanks in advance.

We used Vantage on the reverse of your trip and we loved it. Two tour options were available for each stop and buses were needed for some of them. Most however were easy walking distance.

We are doing Budapest to Amsterdam in April with Avalon. I'll let you know about docking when we return.

We are doing Budapest to Amsterdam in Sept. ...so I will be very interested in comments on pre/post accommodations, money exchange, ship, food etc. We were wondering if euros are used all through the region of this river cruise or if some areas have their own currency. I think Budapest has their own...as you can tell..I am geographically challenged when it comes to Europe! If they do have their own currency, how much would be recommended for taxi from airport to hotel? I know we will be using credit card for majority of things.

Enjoy your trip and I look forward to your comments when you return!

We are doing Budapest to Amsterdam in Sept. ...so I will be very interested in comments on pre/post accommodations, money exchange, ship, food etc. We were wondering if euros are used all through the region of this river cruise or if some areas have their own currency. I think Budapest has their own...as you can tell..I am geographically challenged when it comes to Europe! If they do have their own currency, how much would be recommended for taxi from airport to hotel? I know we will be using credit card for majority of things.

Enjoy your trip and I look forward to your comments when you return!

We did Budapest to Amsterdam in august, euros everywhere except Budapest, they have Florints, we were there for 3 days pre cruise and I bought some currency before we arrived, its available at the airport too.

We caught the airport bus so I'm not sure on the cost of a taxi, the bus dropped us at the door (even though we arrived after midnight)

and was relatively cheap.

We stayed at the Intercontinental, which I booked privately, fantastic location on the Danube, easy walking distance to everythign we wanted to see. We also bought tickets on the HOHO from the hotel, 2 day tickets plus a river cruise included, was great value. We also did a free walking tour on our first morning, took around 2.5 - 3 hours, loads of useful information from them too along the way, they just ask for a tip at the end and thats not even compulsory,its entirely up to you, they were great.

loved Budapest :)

We did Budapest to Amsterdam in august, euros everywhere except Budapest, they have Florints, we were there for 3 days pre cruise and I bought some currency before we arrived, its available at the airport too.

We caught the airport bus so I'm not sure on the cost of a taxi, the bus dropped us at the door (even though we arrived after midnight)

and was relatively cheap.

We stayed at the Intercontinental, which I booked privately, fantastic location on the Danube, easy walking distance to everythign we wanted to see. We also bought tickets on the HOHO from the hotel, 2 day tickets plus a river cruise included, was great value. We also did a free walking tour on our first morning, took around 2.5 - 3 hours, loads of useful information from them too along the way, they just ask for a tip at the end and thats not even compulsory,its entirely up to you, they were great.

loved Budapest :)

Thank you for such great info.

Would you mind telling me about how much money in Florints we should have for small purchases for 3 days...1 day pre cruise and 2 days with overnight on ship. We were thinking for taxis and maybe a snack etc. Other purchases will be put on credit cards.

The Intercontinental has been mentioned a number of times. Did you book directly with hotel or thru Priceline etc?

Again, thanks so much.

Edited by dcruisers

dcruisers, get about US$50 from an ATM that first day. Most restaurants take credit cards, as do many shops. You can always get more along the way. Pat

dcruiser: If you get too many Forint and can't spend them all you can leave the extra as part of your tip. The cruise staff doesn't really care what currency is left for them, Forint, US Dollars or Euros.

Thank you for such great info.

Would you mind telling me about how much money in Florints we should have for small purchases for 3 days...1 day pre cruise and 2 days with overnight on ship. We were thinking for taxis and maybe a snack etc. Other purchases will be put on credit cards.

The Intercontinental has been mentioned a number of times. Did you book directly with hotel or thru Priceline etc?

Again, thanks so much.

We booked the hotel with Expedia, so much cheaper than the cruise company, we booked 3 nights and it was around $350, that would have been the price for just over one night, plus when we arrived we were upgraded at no extra cost..absolutely perfect room with awesome view.

We took about $500 in florints with us, mainly because we were there 3 extra days, I wasnt too sure about using my credit card there, but after being there I am sure it would have been fine. We used nearly all of it, on the morning before we sailed I used the last of it and bought a pair of sandals, so it all worked out well, the last of the coins I gave a busker :)