January/Bahamas weather ?

alrighty then

We cruised almost two years ago in January (Nassau, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay). We packed some long sleeve shirts and pants but didn't need them. We did swim - as did many others. The weather was typical summer weather (we live in VA) in our opinions. Some of the evenings were cool-ish but never cold. I hope that helps!!! :)

Years ago I spent a month in the Bahammas for work (it was a sacrafice but someone had to do it ;)). I was there from end of Dec through the beginning of February and when we weren't working we were at the beach snorkelling or hanging out along with plenty of other folks. There were a couple of days it actually got down in the 60's (and the locals were actually wearing full winter coats!!!) but other than that the weather was perfect for being out in the sun and water. :)

It just depends. You probably won't need a parka.

The water can be considerably colder than mid-summer. But I've been in mid-December a few times and still went in the water. Been there a few days after a storm came through and the water was cool but the sun was warm.

I mean, if I went to Miami at that time of year, would I expect winter weather? Probably not. I do take a lightweight rain jacket as I've encountered some rainy days (more than the usual occasional shower during May/June).

Chances are you won't get much sunning done on the Lido deck on the first and last days, though. I've sailed from Jacksonville twice in late Nov/mid Dec and it was rather brisk out there.

I've been to the Bahamas twice in January. In 2010, it was on the cool side. We went snorkeling but were shivering when we got out. The sea water was chilly.

January 2012, it was very nice. Not too hot but a comfortable time for shorts/tanks, etc. My sister-in-law got a sunburn actually lol

So it really depends. I'll be in Jamaica this January and am PRAYING for nice weather like the January I went to Cozumel. A little on the hot side, perfect for the beach, and got a nice tan! :)

In the Bahamas the sea temps are always WAY too chilly for me in January.

(Before all of the private cruise ship islands it was often the last stop before returning to Florida from longer cruises so have been to Nassau frequently in Jan/Feb.)

Unless it's a windy rainy day, it's normally great for shorts. Sometimes, nice beach days if you don't spend much time in the water. :)

~~~~~~

I'll be in Jamaica this January and am PRAYING for nice weather like the January I went to Cozumel. A little on the hot side, perfect for the beach, and got a nice tan! :)

Not to worry! Jamaica in January is like the end of June at "The Shore".

~~~~~~~

So it really depends. I'll be in Jamaica this January and am PRAYING for nice weather like the January I went to Cozumel. A little on the hot side, perfect for the beach, and got a nice tan! :)

Jamaica in Jan. should be gorgeous. Winter weather should be low 80s by day to low 70s at night with a near constant trade wind. I lived on St. Croix for 10 years and often during the winter we had just one door cracked open just a little to keep the house cool. The Bahamas are frequently billed as tropical islands but they're really not. They're just a little north of the Tropic of Cancer. Jamica is an actual tropical island with tropical weather.

We went on the Fascination 4 day in Feb 2011 and while it was somewhat warm and sunny (70s), the water was too cool for my tastes and there weren't many people in the water (we went to Our Lucaya in Freeport, but stayed on the ship in Nassau and enjoyed the hot tub on the Serenity Deck...and it was chilly to get out of hot tub and go to chair for towel).

Picture of me at Our Lucaya that day.

064.jpg

Oh, and it was cool the day we got on the ship in Jax port...very chilly and windy (see pic)

059.jpg

I personally would not cruise the Bahamas in the winter. I am a diver and the water temp will be high 60'-low 70's. That is wet suit weather for me. Even though Miami and Bahamas are about the same latitude, Miami's water is much colder then the Bahamas, although it does not seem to effect snowbirds. When we lived in Miami we were wearing jackets in the 60's. The Virgin Islands are almost 1000 miles south of Miami and the Bahamas.

Have been to Bahamas a couple or three times in January. Have been there when it was nice and warm and been there when the highs was only in the 60's. A good way to figure it is what ever the weather is in Miami then that will be your weather in Nassau.

Have been to Bahamas a couple or three times in January. Have been there when it was nice and warm and been there when the highs was only in the 60's. A good way to figure it is what ever the weather is in Miami then that will be your weather in Nassau.

This is so true! Too often people think Nassau is way south of Miami. It's not!

~~~~~~

We only did the Bahamas once--January of 2008 I believe. It was cold (and we're from Minnesota). During sail away, we had our winter coats on while on deck and went for the hot chocolate instead of other drinks. It was still on the chilly side when we got to Freeport, but by the time we reached Nassau, it had warmed up a bit.

We'll be in Nassau again this coming January and I'm hoping for better weather.

Archived