Jeep or Car Rental thoughts in Antigua??

Rprbp24

After doing some research, I found that Cheke's Rentals has scooters for rent. However, I have seen 2 different reviews. One says the roads are terrible between pot holes and goats, but the was bk in 2008, the other says it was the best thing they ever did. If anyone as been to Antigua recently, I would love to know the status of the road conditions. We are sailing in February....thanks!

After doing some research, I found that Cheke's Rentals has scooters for rent. However, I have seen 2 different reviews. One says the roads are terrible between pot holes and goats, but the was bk in 2008, the other says it was the best thing they ever did. If anyone as been to Antigua recently, I would love to know the status of the road conditions. We are sailing in February....thanks!

The Roads do vary a lot while the main roads are in fairly good condition, you will always come across pot holes rock falls live animals etc on local and mountain roads. if its your first time try renting a small car instead of a scooter that way you can enjoy the scenery more in my opinion than if on a scooter less to worry about. check out www.thetreasureislands.com its one of the official travel guides of Antigua and features a map with several driving tour options from St. Johns.

Scooters and motorbikes are rare in Antigua. Don't do it. There are potholes everywhere to catch the unwary or the tourist. I was there for two weeks in June and drove all over the island. Small car or small SUV is best. Remember that if you rent, you will need to get an Antiguan licence. Cost is $20 and is good for 90 days. It's a small green card filled out by hand and the car rental company will issue it for you, no problem.

• 1 month later...

We sail on 12/8 and hope to rent a 4x4 jeep on St. John Antigua for a nice tour of the island. We heard this is the way to really see the island. Still looking at various jeep rentals and what they charge, etc.

RObert

Archived