Souvenir shops at Port of Athens?

marc1255boats

Does anyone know if their are souviner shops at the port of Athens within walking distance of the MSC cruise ships? We're doing a tour into Athens but I'm not sure if it'll include much time for shopping. Just looking for small things, postcards etc.

Yes, there are several souvenir shops with a range of articles and quality. From post cards through jewelry. They are in the waiting area before you go through passport/customs.

Does anyone know if their are souviner shops at the port of Athens within walking distance of the MSC cruise ships? We're doing a tour into Athens but I'm not sure if it'll include much time for shopping. Just looking for small things, postcards etc.

I would strongly suggest going into main Athens, seeing the Plaka, walking around this charming and interesting area, having lunch there, etc. There are many interesting shops there. Below are a few of my photo examples for what's there even if you don't want to be going up the Acropolis, etc. Love the Plaka area. Don't miss it!!

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 5,475 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,830 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!!:

PlakaDining.jpg

Mythos is the favorite local beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

Right next to the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop owners. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options. We bought a couple of nice items that are in our home daily as a reminder of our wonderful visit to Greece.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

Here are two views of the Tower of the Winds in Athens that is right near the Plaka. First is a night view of it on the left with the Parthenon and its historic hill/walls lighted in the higher background. This octagonal Pentelic marble clock tower is in the Roman agora in Athens. Second, you can see some of the design details at the top. The structure features a combination of sundials, a water clock and a wind vane. According to Wikipedia, it was supposedly built by Andronicus of Cyrrhus around 50 BC, but according to other sources might have been constructed in the 2nd century BC before the rest of the forum. In early Christian times, the building was used as the bell-tower of a Byzantine Church. Under Ottoman rule, it became a tekke and was used by whirling dervishes. The design of the 18th-century Radcliffe Observatory in Oxford, England, is based on this Tower of the Winds:

AthensRomanTowerAcropWallsNight.jpg

AthensRomanTowerTopDesigns.jpg

Archived