Hurtigruten Excursions

RSF Cruiser

I am taking the round trip Norwegian voyage this December, and am thinking about taking the husky sled excursion in Kirkenes. It wasn't clear in the writeup, and the representative I talked to wasn't exactly sure, if the husky sledding excursion (7F) also included the snow hotel at no extra cost. The writeup says you have the option of going to the snow hotel - has anyone done this excursion and was there an extra charge to do both the husky sledding and snow hotel tour?

Thanks!

Not a direct answer to your question, but we took the husky sledding trip in Tromso and were delighted with the experience! Pulled through the snow by 12 huskies, in the dark, with the driver lighting the way with just a head torch, and with the lights of Tromso below us in the distance...

Thanks, digitl. We're doing the Tromso sledding trip, too, and hope we get to see the northern lights while on the sleds. I love being on the sleds - did a similar trip in Alaska and loved it. Glad to hear such good things about the dog sled ride in Tromso.

I'm not sure if we should do two dog sledding trips in Norway. The cost for dog sledding in Kirkernes wasn't that much more than the snow hotel tour, which made me suspicious that the option for the snow hotel tour was at an additional cost. I also sent an email to Hurtigruten, but figured someone on Cruise Critic is bound to know!

I'll post what Hurtigruten tells me.

Thanks, digitl. We're doing the Tromso sledding trip, too, and hope we get to see the northern lights while on the sleds. I love being on the sleds - did a similar trip in Alaska and loved it. Glad to hear such good things about the dog sled ride in Tromso.

We saw the lights on three out of our five nights, but not on the dog sledding trip: it was cloudy.

The Tromso sledding company provide boots and waterproof overalls, and a warming 'stew' and hot drink, along with a walk around the 'kennels' and an opportunity to get close up to some of the younger dogs.

I am taking the round trip Norwegian voyage this December, and am thinking about taking the husky sled excursion in Kirkenes. It wasn't clear in the writeup, and the representative I talked to wasn't exactly sure, if the husky sledding excursion (7F) also included the snow hotel at no extra cost. The writeup says you have the option of going to the snow hotel - has anyone done this excursion and was there an extra charge to do both the husky sledding and snow hotel tour?

Thanks!

Hi we also took the husky tour in Tromso and we were recommended to do this here instead of Kirkenes in case of delays or weather conditions further north. We did see the sledding in Kirkenes which is round a frozen lake and next to the Ice Hotel, so you do see both. I would recommend doing the sledding in Tromso though as its longer, you get to hold the puppies and spend time with the dogs who arent out sledding and overall we thought the experience soooo much better than the one offered in Kirkenes.

I'm not sure if we should do two dog sledding trips in Norway.

quote]

\

We think unless you really want to do it twice, once is enough if you do it in Tromso, as its a far better experience. But if the budget runs to it, try doing the Skidooing which is after Tromso and will be at night and so much better opportunity of seeing the northern lights too. A group of 10 did this off our sailing and it was the absolute highlight of the whole trip for all of us.

But if the budget runs to it, try doing the Skidooing which is after Tromso and will be at night and so much better opportunity of seeing the northern lights too. A group of 10 did this off our sailing and it was the absolute highlight of the whole trip for all of us.

This is an excursion I could be interested in doing, I'm sure it's great, but on both my winter trips it was cancelled because of bad weather... :(

Thanks!

Yes you can do them both. This year the Husky excursionists visited the snow hotel after. Although it is a shorter visit than those who took this as our main excursion.

Archived