Komodo Island - Additional Touring Advice

acruisergirl

I hope he delivers.

I have done the Komodo trip as a Shore-Ex with Jeffry twice and have a third booked for later this year. He is Fab, very professional and well organised. It was a great day out, hence the reason I keep booking it through him !!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you boatybex, we posted this on our roll call and loads of folks wanted to join. Thanks for the thumbs up on jeffery.

David

You are welcome.

So heres link to my Komodo Island blog with some pics of jeffry's boat and the trail map and hiking conditions so you can get an idea of what the day should be like.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/boatybex/

• 1 month later...

But before the cruise gets there, freshly killed goats are left out for breakfast. there was ALS deer roaming around. We took a private tour arranged by one of the members on cruise critic... After a two hour tour on the island, the tour operator took us by boat to a place we could snorkel and fed us lunch. It was around $120 per person. The tour guides were not from the island but enterprising Indonesians.

But before the cruise gets there, freshly killed goats are left out for breakfast. there was ALS deer roaming around. We took a private tour arranged by one of the members on cruise critic... After a two hour tour on the island, the tour operator took us by boat to a place we could snorkel and fed us lunch. It was around $120 per person. The tour guides were not from the island but enterprising Indonesians.

I think the practice of feeding the dragons was halted in 1995

http://www.komodo.asia/

Hi, That was me organising that tour..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been remiss on paying much attention to this thread however I do have a group of 60 doing Komodo in Jan on the Millenium.

This is the same tour guide that was used last Jan for a group of 70...split into 7 groups of 10 and they all had an amazing time, well worth it and the tour company/guide is amazing to work with.

If you would like his info you can contact me at jeani at j 18ktleo dot com

I had started to organize this group/guide and then another passenger on our cruise booked with Jeffrey, they have a small group of 20 (I think) whereas I have the 'giant' group of 60!:rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Will be on Komodo Feb 24, 2015 traveling on AZ Quest. The basic ship tour is priced at $129. This is a DH bucket list but from the pictures of friends who were touring as locals -- leave me on the ship!:eek: Could those who have gone to Komodo off ships in the last 2 years comment on the private tours/ship tours (our ship only 600 passengers so much less crowding). If you went to pink beach I would love to know about that too. I love to snorkel but 4 hours in heat and then swimming with the dragons???:eek: dolphins yes seals yes penguins yes KD no way! tour with Pink Beach was $189 with no boat ride mentioned. Worth that much???

I did Komodo January 2013 - great experience to meet the dragons and also the visit to Kampung Komodo and Pink Beach by boat (only accessible by boat)

Both were ship tours. Pink Beach wasn't any special - no dragons, dolphins, penguins or seals - a boat trip and a beach.

If $189 is a sailing Pink Beach only for snorkelling it a bit expensive - if kampung Komodo is included price is fine.

I have included link to two videos from my trip:

Dragon Adventure

txXhvVPM60k

and Kampung Komodo

oUr-Lzm559E

Thanks for the videos. We enjoyed them. I will probably go to see the KD -- it is World Heritage Site and 1000 places to see before you die and we keep lists!:p

For me it was a Must See! Don't miss it.

• 5 weeks later...
Will be on Komodo Feb 24, 2015 traveling on AZ Quest. The basic ship tour is priced at $129. This is a DH bucket list but from the pictures of friends who were touring as locals -- leave me on the ship!:eek: Could those who have gone to Komodo off ships in the last 2 years comment on the private tours/ship tours (our ship only 600 passengers so much less crowding). If you went to pink beach I would love to know about that too. I love to snorkel but 4 hours in heat and then swimming with the dragons???:eek: dolphins yes seals yes penguins yes KD no way! tour with Pink Beach was $189 with no boat ride mentioned. Worth that much???

Hi Barbara. We booked the Azamara tour, after getting a price quote from Jeffry. His cost has more than doubled. He is now much more expensive than the ship tour. I'm copying Jeffry's quote below.:

Option 01 : Itinerary : " Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then 2 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point( if in strong condition ). Afterward, you will going to do a snorkeling and relaxing in pink beach. Lunch will be served in our local boat. After enjoy it here, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship. Price Per Person : • 2 – 4 Person : US$ 255.00 • 5 - 10 Person : US$ 195.00 • 11 - 20 Person : US$ 170.00 • 21 + up : US$ 150.00 • For Kids Below 12 years old : US$ 90.00 • More than 21 person will be 1 free Price Include : • Long or short trekking in Komodo Island • English speaking guide • Komodo National Park Rangers & Guards • Snorkeling boat to Pink Beach • Snorkeling guide • Snorkeling Equipment ( Mask & Snorkel only ) • Komodo National Park entrance Fee • Snorkeling Entrance Fee Price Exclude : • Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$20.00 per handy cam ) • Towels • Personal expenditures • Tipping

Option 02. Itinerary : " Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then2 - 4 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point. Afterward, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship. Price Per Person : • 2 – 4 Person : US$ 195.00 • 5 - 10 Person : US$ 175.00 • 11 - 20 Person : US$ 150.00 • 21 + up : US$ 135.00 • For Kids Below 12 years old : US$ 70.00 • More than 30 person 1 free Price Include : • Komodo National Park entrance Fee • Long trekking in Komodo Island. 2 - 4 km. • English speaking guide • Komodo National Park Ranger & Guards Price Exclude : • Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$20.00 per handy cam ) • Personal expenditures • Tipping

Hi Barbara. We booked the Azamara tour, after getting a price quote from Jeffry. His cost has more than doubled. He is now much more expensive than the ship tour. I'm copying Jeffry's quote below.:

Option 01 : Itinerary : " Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then 2 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point( if in strong condition ). Afterward, you will going to do a snorkeling and relaxing in pink beach. Lunch will be served in our local boat. After enjoy it here, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship. Price Per Person : • 2 – 4 Person : US$ 255.00 • 5 - 10 Person : US$ 195.00 • 11 - 20 Person : US$ 170.00 • 21 + up : US$ 150.00 • For Kids Below 12 years old : US$ 90.00 • More than 21 person will be 1 free Price Include : • Long or short trekking in Komodo Island • English speaking guide • Komodo National Park Rangers & Guards • Snorkeling boat to Pink Beach • Snorkeling guide • Snorkeling Equipment ( Mask & Snorkel only ) • Komodo National Park entrance Fee • Snorkeling Entrance Fee Price Exclude : • Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$20.00 per handy cam ) • Towels • Personal expenditures • Tipping

Option 02. Itinerary : " Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then2 - 4 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point. Afterward, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship. Price Per Person : • 2 – 4 Person : US$ 195.00 • 5 - 10 Person : US$ 175.00 • 11 - 20 Person : US$ 150.00 • 21 + up : US$ 135.00 • For Kids Below 12 years old : US$ 70.00 • More than 30 person 1 free Price Include : • Komodo National Park entrance Fee • Long trekking in Komodo Island. 2 - 4 km. • English speaking guide • Komodo National Park Ranger & Guards Price Exclude : • Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$20.00 per handy cam ) • Personal expenditures • Tipping

Thanks Sandy. We too will take the ship tour. I believe that it is similar to Galapagos Islands where the government is trying hard not to overwhelm and kill the very scenery and wildlife that people come to see. I would bet that the fee for National Park has gone up and regulations are stronger to not break down the land so. I am willing to pay for the tour in that this is the main "driver" for this trip. Have you considered the wild primates tour in Buerneo yet?

Thanks Sandy. We too will take the ship tour. I believe that it is similar to Galapagos Islands where the government is trying hard not to overwhelm and kill the very scenery and wildlife that people come to see. I would bet that the fee for National Park has gone up and regulations are stronger to not break down the land so. I am willing to pay for the tour in that this is the main "driver" for this trip. Have you considered the wild primates tour in Buerneo yet?

Barbara.

The only other ship tour that we are planning to take is at Puerto Princesa - the subterranean river tour where only 900 visitors are allowed daily. I was told that ship tours get priority there, so we're not willing to chance a private tour.

In Borneo, I have booked a private driver who will take us to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehab Center, the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary and the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Center. It is a tour for 8, and so far there are 6 of us. See my Posting #40 on our Roll Call.

Very interesting to see the skyrocket in prices from Jeffery!

We were in Komodo this past Jan and I had 60 on a private tour, we did the National Park including the trek up the hill for the beautiful panoramic views (which not everyone did!), then visited the local village and finally time at Pink Beach for swimming/snorkeling.

It was a cool overcast day so we only saw a few KD by the watering hole, nothing else except a deer on the beach.

Our price from the tour guide we used was $75 per person and I believe Jeffrey's prices were in the same vicinity as another group of 20 used him.

It was a fun and memorable day and I highly recommend it!;)

Very interesting to see the skyrocket in prices from Jeffery!

We were in Komodo this past Jan and I had 60 on a private tour, we did the National Park including the trek up the hill for the beautiful panoramic views (which not everyone did!), then visited the local village and finally time at Pink Beach for swimming/snorkeling.

It was a cool overcast day so we only saw a few KD by the watering hole, nothing else except a deer on the beach.

Our price from the tour guide we used was $75 per person and I believe Jeffrey's prices were in the same vicinity as another group of 20 used him.

It was a fun and memorable day and I highly recommend it!;)

Hi Jeani. Did you use someone other than Jeffrey? If so, can you email me the information? Jeffrey was the only private guide that I found recommendations for.

omg, Sandy! Is it really you and me chatting on the boards??? Hugs to you both!

Yes, I used a different service HOWEVER here's the scoop:

This company was originally used the year before I did when I was originally supposed to do this cruise and the gent who found them used them was very very happy and had a group of 60 also.

So when I booked this cruise he gave me all the info and guided me thru it.

The company (I think) is actually based out of Bali and since Komodo is so remote they send guides from another island which is 4 hours away...so they sent a group of guys to accommodate me, we ended up with 4 groups of 15.

Our tour guide was amazing and we had a great day.

The second tour guide was also wonderful and both our groups did the trek up the hill for the panoramic view.

The third group did a basic tour of the National Park then the village and Pink Beach.

The fourth group's guide did a cursory tour of the National Park and village then told them they had 10 min for Pink Beach and had them back to the ship 3 hours earlier than planned/agreed/needed!

I was NOT VERY HAPPY when I learned this!

When we returned home I wrote a long letter to the organizer copying the gent in AZ who had referred me...and although this company was very very communicative throughout the planning process I've YET to hear anything back from them in response! And so..........

As you can imagine I really don't feel ok about referring anyone to them. However, you have my email and phone number if you'd like to pursue it...I'm wondering what the reason is that Jeffery hiked his fares and maybe some private negotiating might be a possibility?;)

Hope you both are well...need to catch up!

Talk soon

Jeani

Jeani. I recognized your board name. It's too bad that we couldn't be on the same cruise again. From what you say, we'll just stick with the ship's tour. Jeffry didn't respond when I told him that his rates had more than doubled from the last posting that I saw, and that the ship tour was much less expensive than booking him. At least with the ship tour, it is one less tour that I need to arrange. I've already arranged four tours for this Azamara cruise - waiting for others to join the Roll Call and join us. Only one of the tours is full so far. The Azamara Roll Call is absolutely dead - nothing like the Celebrity Roll Calls. I've also arranged private tours for just the two of us in Bali.