Stateroom policy - teenagers

HappyHappy1

What is Royal Caribbeans policy for families with multiple staterooms? We will be traveling with our sons (18 & 16) and their friends (also 18 & 16) and will obviously need two staterooms. Can the four boys have their own stateroom? Carnivals policy is that the boys would have to be within 3 cabins of us. What is Royal Caribbeans policy?

Thanks for your help.

What is Royal Caribbeans policy for families with multiple staterooms? We will be traveling with our sons (18 & 16) and their friends (also 18 & 16) and will obviously need two staterooms. Can the four boys have their own stateroom? Carnivals policy is that the boys would have to be within 3 cabins of us. What is Royal Caribbeans policy?

Thanks for your help.

From Royal Caribbean:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Connecting staterooms will be your key factor. I have heard from other cruisers that they've been able to also do this with their children across the hall from them (so the parents can have a balcony but don't have to pay for two balcony rooms), but other cruisers will have more info with that!

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.required).

Thats the official word, but in practice things work generally like this. Families are able to book minors in a cabin within a cabin or two, adjacent but not connecting, or even across the hall. Families also book one adult in each cabin and then bunk where they will once onboard and get extra keys for everyone. (this is easily done at Guest Services)

The problem for you becomes that if you would need to book one cabin for 2 and one for 4. Because if you do 3 and 3, you will not have enough beds for the boys. Another thing to consider- if you are investing considerable dollars in a cruise vacation- if your teens or their pals are caught having any kinds of discipline problems because you aren't close enough to their cabin to keep tabs- you can and will all be put off the ship. That's a risk you might want to be aware of before you take responsibility for other peoples young adults.

Good luck - if its early enough you should have no problem finding adjacent or connecting cabins for you and the "boys".

Thanks for your help.

We have always booked two interior cabins next door to one another - this year we had a 19 year old and 16 year old but we allocated one adult and one teenager in one and the same in the other. When we got on board we just swapped and put us two in one and the two girls in the other and guest relations said thats ok as long as they are next to each other.

When we were traveling with our daughter her friend (at 15) , I had to book my daughter as my DH's cabin mate and me as the friend's roomie. We got a spare key for each of us booked in a different cabin from where we were sleeping.

I you will book one of the boys with you and your hubby with the other key you shouldn't encounter any problems unless there should be an issue with the boys' behavior.

I think you bigger issue is going to be having 2 that are not family members. We have booked our kids next to or across the hall many times without issues but never had non family members. For some reason I am thinking that you need one adult for each and need to have it booked that way but I am not sure.

Best to call RCI to find out the exact rules.

You can book without having an adult listed in each cabin, but you will need to do this over the phone...not online. There are families that have to book more cabins than they have adults....so it's doable.

I believe that is ONLY for family members. Non-family members may be a problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help. We have traveled with the friends before on Carnival and haven't had any problems. They are good kids...mostly quiet.

We are trying to decide between Carnival Valor and Jewel of the Seas, and were leaning towards Jewel of the Seas. Hopefully Royal Caribbean can accomidate our party in staterooms that are nextdoor to each other as most of the connecting cabins are sold out (at least ones that connect with a stateroom that accomidates 4 people).

There is no problem booking a related child and an unrelated child into their own cabin on RCI, as long as the cabin is next to or across from the parents (temporary guardians) cabin, the only restriction is that you can only take the same amount of unrelated minors as you have related minors, so the parents of an only child cannot take 2 of the child friends and have them share a cabin

As others have pointed out the non-family members will be the issue. You will need to find a room for four with pulman beds connecting (or atleast next to) to a room for two. One parent will need to be listed in each room and then switch when you are on-board. make sure everyone undertands the rules and expectations before you make the reservations because you will be responsible for all of the boys. :eek::eek::eek:

You can book the children into their own room either next door to, or directly across the hall from, your own cabin.

No need to book one adult into each room because two of the kids in the other room are your own children. (If they all were nephews or grandchildren, etc, then it's a problem, but as long as it's a mixture of your own kids and their friends, it's fine)

Now I am getting concerned....I have taken my granddaughter on 22 cruises.....I always have the consent form from her parents. This NYE I am taking her and her friend (both 13), no connecting cabins were available so I got 2 adjoing cabins (I may have the terms wrong....side by side balconies....no connecting interior door).

I booked myself alone and my gd and friend together so we could both get the D+ disount....I also had a senior discount. Now I am concerned that this will be a problem. I am going to call my PVP but as everyone knows you can get as many different answers as people you talk to!

Yes....I do have consent forms for both girls parents as well as copies of the parents driver's license.

This is why you have a good TA and they make it all work out. I am booking a Thanksgiving cruise for 2013 and will need six cabins with a mix of 2,3, & 4 per cabins (all ages and some direct family and some not) and one connecting.

TA said, "no problem just need names and dob." Oh, I also want the cabins all next to each other so we can open the balcony dividers. TA, "OK not problem."

Thought I would give a quick update....It looks like Royal cannot accomadate a grandmother, granddaughter and her friend in 2 seperate cabins. Does not matter if the cabins are connecting. Looks like I will have to cancel my NYE cruise fast, before final payment is due on Monday. I have already put a deposit on Carnival Magic....they can and will accomadate us.

I have 200+ nites and my granddaughter has 90+ nites with Royal....If I was the parent or court appointed guardian it would not be a problem.

The rules are the rules......but I booked directly wiith Royal and always had my 13 year yr old granddaugher booked in a seperate cabin.....not a problem booking. I probably would not have given it a second thought until I saw this thread.

The most disappointing thing is the way it has been handled.....I have emailed and left numerous messages (all nice!) and not response.....

Thought I would give a quick update....It looks like Royal cannot accomadate a grandmother, granddaughter and her friend in 2 seperate cabins. Does not matter if the cabins are connecting. Looks like I will have to cancel my NYE cruise fast, before final payment is due on Monday. I have already put a deposit on Carnival Magic....they can and will accomadate us.

I have 200+ nites and my granddaughter has 90+ nites with Royal....If I was the parent or court appointed guardian it would not be a problem.

The rules are the rules......but I booked directly wiith Royal and always had my 13 year yr old granddaugher booked in a seperate cabin.....not a problem booking. I probably would not have given it a second thought until I saw this thread.

The most disappointing thing is the way it has been handled.....I have emailed and left numerous messages (all nice!) and not response.....

Sorry to hear of your problems but glad you found out BEFORE being denied boarding. There are a lot of complainers here, but every once in a while a thread actually helps someone.

What a nice thing to do for yor granddaughter and friend, have a great cruise.

We took our niece and her girlfriend on a cruise in July. Because she is not our daughter and even though they were both 18, (have to be 21 if not your own child) we booked me in one cabin and hubby in the other. Cabins were next door to each other. When we got on the ship we got extra keys so the girls could stay in one cabin and we could stay in the other. No problems at all.

Thanks to everyone for your help. We have traveled with the friends before on Carnival and haven't had any problems. They are good kids...mostly quiet.

We are trying to decide between Carnival Valor and Jewel of the Seas, and were leaning towards Jewel of the Seas. Hopefully Royal Caribbean can accomidate our party in staterooms that are nextdoor to each other as most of the connecting cabins are sold out (at least ones that connect with a stateroom that accomidates 4 people).

Have you called and asked about connecting staterooms or just looking on the web? They often have cabins available that are not listed on the web. We booked connecting E1's back in Jan--no connecting Es were on the web but when I called there were a bunch.

We had 2xD1's on Radiance booked for a NYE cruise. We are a family of 4 with 2 daughters 15 and 19 at time of boarding. The TA had to book my wife and 1 daughter in one cabin and me and the other for the 2nd. We are sailing from Sydney Australia so everything adult related is based on 18 yrs not 21 yrs like Northern America. We then upgraded to 2 connecting JS's and still had to keep the reservations the same. We'll do the guest services thing to get more keys so we have the right access (or should I say more convenient access). But point is the policy and what happens in practice are usually two different things. Surprised me since we had a local RCI office that the TA deals with who should know local laws and regulations and certainly be aware of cruise line policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 2 problems.....I am only the grandparent of 1 and no relation to the other......and I travel solo.....RCI get's 4 cruise fares out of me, but policy is policy.....I am currently on hold with RCI to see if there are any family cabins available.....I do not think my sanity will allow 2 teen girls and 1 regular size cabin!

Archived