New to Disability Cruising

sheridan88

I am new to this forum. My dear friend who is completely disabled will try to cruise for the first time in February. He is paraplegic. Is there any website or place on CC where I can research port activities that he may be able to participate in? We'll be visiting Cozumel and Falmouth Jamaica. We'll also be visiting Grand Cayman but I believe that this is one location where he will not be able to leave the ship. Any advice where we can research?

Also he is having a hospital bed delievered and set up in the ship. Does anyone have any hints or advice about this?

Thanks so much!

Does your friend use a manual or electric wheelchair? Can he transfer to a taxi or does he need accessible transportation when on an excursion? Has he reserved an accessible cabin on the ship? Which ship is he travelling on? Does he have a companion/caregiver travelling with him? As far as the bed is concerned, the rental company will have it set up in the room. One of the beds will be removed to make room for it.

I am a paraplegic and enjoy cruising as a accessable vacation

As posted above, if you could give us some more information. Definitely get a HC room and make sure it is a HC room not a HC modified room. I have not done the western carribean but the eastern ports that I have been to have been all wheelchair friendly to an extent. Ask away and I will try and help

Hi Katisdale,

The room is taken care of (HC) We'll be on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. My friend has an electric power chair and cannot transfer to a taxi - he needs accessible transportation. It's hard to believe that with all the travelling that disabled people do now there isn't an easy resource for finding accessible excursions. I'd love to see a resource for those partially disabled (can walk enough to take a taxi, car or van) and those that are chair bound completely. Thanks for any assistance.

Archived