Victor Bodden Tours

Cruiser-66

And then we reached Tabyana Beach! Apparently there are very few places remaining where you can access the beach for free. The beach itself is public, but private organizations are increasingly limiting access to the beach via their property. Tex brought us all the way to the end of the beach (almost right next to the Iguana Wall) and parked in a construction parking lot, since he knew the developers. It was perfect access to the best part of the beach for snorkeling.

Tabyana was truly amazing! The sand was soft, even after entering the water. It was a beautiful soft-sand beach, but just a short distance from the shore, the reef began and offered excellent snorkeling. The beach was so unlike any other that I've seen. Normally you have to choose either rocky beach and snorkeling OR soft sand and no fish. This location offered the best of both worlds.

Since the weather had been poor earlier in the day, the water was a bit murky somewhat rough. Tex described it after we left as being bad conditions; however, even under these "bad" conditions, the snorkeling was excellent.

My mom asked Tex about some of the fruits growing on the beach. One was a lychee. Tex was able to find one ripe one for my mom to try. There were also sea grapes, but they weren't ripe yet. Tex pretty much knew everything about this island. There wasn't a single question asked of him all day where he had to respond with "I don't know." What a bundle of information he was! At one point during the day, we brought up the House Hunters International episodes that were filmed in Roatan. Tex informed us that he was the driver for the last two episodes that were filmed. It's not surprising that he was selected as the guide for the filming...he is an amazing guide!

But I've gotten off topic here...back to Tabyana Beach. Here are some photos of the beach area:

543225_4649385239285_2142992437_n.jpg

603187_4649385799299_564561498_n.jpg

523180_4649386039305_766200304_n.jpg

47488_4649386439315_1621721273_n.jpg

And how can I talk about snorkeling without posting at least a few FISH photos!!! Keep in mind that the water was rough and murky. Add to that, the fact that I forgot to put my camera into underwater mode. Needless to say, these aren't my best underwater photos, but they'll give you an idea of the types of fish you might see. I also saw a lobster, but I only have him on video and I haven't cut a still-shot out of the video yet.

416924_4650391424439_649212973_n.jpg

375888_4650391864450_529083189_n.jpg

541101_4650392664470_639264606_n.jpg

62017_4650392864475_8915800_n.jpg

480354_4650393224484_809680433_n.jpg

522258_4650393464490_668699263_n.jpg

All too soon, it was time for our day in Roatan to end. We wanted to make sure that we had over an hour to make it back to the ship. We were 25 minutes from port, and I wanted to be certain that we had time for the car to break down and still find a replacement ride to get us to port in time lol. Don't laugh...my parents actually had their excursion vehicle break down the day before in Belize, so they ended up driving home from the ruins with 12 passengers squished into a 7-passenger van...but they made it with plenty of time to spare, so all was well. :)

Along the drive back to port, Tex pulled over to the side of the road and asked us if we had a dollar. We gave him a dollar and he ran out of the car and immediately returned with a bag full of Lychee Fruit (the kind that my mom tasted on the beach.) The fruit looks very odd. It's hard and hairy on the outside. You bit the hard outside and it cracks open. Then you eat the clear, gelatinous fruit on the inside. It was one of the tastiest fruits I have EVER eaten. There is also a nut in the center of the gelatinous fruit. Apparently it is used in Asian cuisine, but we were encouraged to not attempt to taste the nut raw. We didn't try it lol.

227540_4665754528507_267005009_n.jpg

420796_4665754728512_788884510_n.jpg

62562_4649387759348_1427351698_n.jpg

Tex was able to drop us off right at the port...no need for my parents to get the taxi to take them to the bottom of the hill.

Here are a few more photos taken at the port. Some are similar to those in the first post, but the weather was much better. :)

526040_4649388159358_1104340528_n.jpg

548836_4649388879376_1842000792_n.jpg

487086_4649389759398_1895946728_n.jpg

427972_4665753408479_314707048_n.jpg

And this last one is borrowed from a friend, since my photo of this sunken ship came out terrible!

485674_10151188917202278_957874124_n.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

(1) I loved Roatan! I haven't been to as many ports as most CC members, but I've been to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Freeport, and San Juan (stayed there for 6 weeks!). So far, Roatan is my favorite.

(2) Roatan has areas of wealth and areas of poverty, but in some spots it really reminded me of the US (but tropical). We passed an area with lots of shopping and tons of American fast food chains.

(3) Tex lived up to every expectation and positive review I'd read about him. He played a HUGE role in making this a perfect day for us. He knows so much about the island and I completely understand now why he is Victor Bodden's most-requested guide. I feel very fortunate to have been able to spend the day with him.

(4) There is NO language/accent barrier with Tex. I don't believe he said anything all day that we didn't understand.

(5) I can't think of a single thing we did all day that I would have left out in retrospect. I enjoyed EVERYTHING we did. We basically saw and experienced the entire island in less than 8 hours.

WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY!!!

Enjoyed your pics and review very much !

I first visited Roatan on a cruise stop too...... on a girls cruise with my sister in laws, nieces, daughter etc...... 11 of us. I then came home and told my dh that we needed to go back for a visit so he could experience Roatan himself. We are both divers and I had done a dive while there...... what a reef ! I have dove all over including the Red Sea while on a trip to Egypt but Roatans diving blew me away !!!!

So finally this summer we made it to Roatan for a week stay. We stayed next door to Tabayana at Infinty Bay and had the condo right on the beach :D What a treat ! Well, long story short, he loved it too so we are going back for another week at Christmas and taking our grown kids too (they dive too)

I can't wait !!!! and your pictures just made the wait harder ;)

FINAL THOUGHTS

(1) I loved Roatan! I haven't been to as many ports as most CC members, but I've been to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Freeport, and San Juan (stayed there for 6 weeks!). So far, Roatan is my favorite.

(2) Roatan has areas of wealth and areas of poverty, but in some spots it really reminded me of the US (but tropical). We passed an area with lots of shopping and tons of American fast food chains.

(3) Tex lived up to every expectation and positive review I'd read about him. He played a HUGE role in making this a perfect day for us. He knows so much about the island and I completely understand now why he is Victor Bodden's most-requested guide. I feel very fortunate to have been able to spend the day with him.

(4) There is NO language/accent barrier with Tex. I don't believe he said anything all day that we didn't understand.

(5) I can't think of a single thing we did all day that I would have left out in retrospect. I enjoyed EVERYTHING we did. We basically saw and experienced the entire island in less than 8 hours.

WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY!!!

LOVE IT! I have Tex booked for my stop in November and glad to hear how good he is. Do you by chance have a picture of him? I'd love to be able to recognize him when we get there.

Thank you for the pictures. It was nice to see the island. We plan on doing the island tour, Monkeys and Tabyana too. My kids want to zipline. Did you by chance see anyone ziplining? I think its near the monkeys.

This is the day of my kids birthday so I want it to be special. Thanks to your review, I think it will be :D

thanks for the review... looking forward to our first visit in Feburary. Has anyone been to the Cameo Factory as well? we were thinking of doing both the Monkey Farm and the Cameo Factory and then spending time on a beach to relax and/or snorkel?

we will have about 6 hours touring time.....

FINAL THOUGHTS

WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY!!!

Thank you for posting your pictures. They brought back such great memories of our day with Tex back in 2009. I'm with you in that Roatan is my favorite Caribbean island. Granted I haven't been to nearly all of them but it will take something very special to make me change my opinion.

Had Tex as our tour guide in November of 2007. Such a fantastic day, answered every question without hesitation. Stopped and got lychees (best fruit ever). Planning a cruise for next November and already planning on booking another tour with Tex.

We'll be there in march and have also booked with tex!

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Yo right a great review, it is to hard to read one icture click at a time. Blogging is free and you can just post a link to it and you reviews will look like this:

https://mrvideo1949.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/costa-maya-mexico-2/

Click the above link, but great job, Brad

Tex was able to drop us off right at the port...no need for my parents to get the taxi to take them to the bottom of the hill.

Here are a few more photos taken at the port. Some are similar to those in the first post, but the weather was much better. :)

526040_4649388159358_1104340528_n.jpg

548836_4649388879376_1842000792_n.jpg

487086_4649389759398_1895946728_n.jpg

427972_4665753408479_314707048_n.jpg

And this last one is borrowed from a friend, since my photo of this sunken ship came out terrible!

485674_10151188917202278_957874124_n.jpg

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Yo right a great review, it is to hard to read one icture click at a time.

Brad, I'm confused. Are the photos not showing up when you view the thread? For me, they all show up in the body of the text. I don't have to click on any photos.

OMG. Thank you so much for the pics. Because of you we've booked with Victor for our Princess Crown cruise Feb. 9th. Any other recommendations for the rest of the cruise? Belize? I'd like to see some Mayan ruins. Thanks for any info you may have.

... it is to hard to read one icture click at a time...

Per one of the Mod screens, you have Display Images turned off on your Cruise Critic account. That's why you see links when the rest of us see pictures.

If you want to see pictures instead of links, here are the directions:

• Click User CP
  • Click Edit Options
  • Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section
  • In the Visible Post Elements box, click the little box next to Show Images
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes

While you are in Edit Options, check around to see if there are any other Cruise Critic options you might want to change.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 50.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused about the price of the tour in regards to stopping at the monkey business place. Your said you did the fun-n-sun tour and paid 25.00pp plus 5.00pp for the monkey business entrance fee. The website states that the money business place is included for free on the 25.00 fun-n-sun tour. Just curious as to why you were charged the 5.00 entrance fee??

I'm a little confused about the price of the tour in regards to stopping at the monkey business place. Your said you did the fun-n-sun tour and paid 25.00pp plus 5.00pp for the monkey business entrance fee. The website states that the money business place is included for free on the 25.00 fun-n-sun tour. Just curious as to why you were charged the 5.00 entrance fee??

Fun-n-Sun is a group tour. It lasts for a few hours and you go to select places with your group. Cost is $25, including the monkeys.

Private tour lasts as long as you want (the entire time you are docked). You go anyplace you want and do anything you want. It is just your group...no strangers. Cost is $25 (if you have 4 or more people) and monkeys cost an additional $5.

Thanks for explaining the difference:) Yesterday I booked the Fun-n-sun tour being there is only the DH and I. Actually this tour was exactly what we were looking for. An island tour and beach stop (the monkeys are an added bonus). Didn't really want to go zip lining or anything like that so this tour meets our needs. Don't mind being with others either... sometimes it's more fun then just the two of us.

I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and especially the video of your dad with the monkey! Not sure if I want to do that or not. I don't want to be bit by one of them! I would be afraid of them carrying some kind of disease!! But they're soooo cute I don't know if I will be able to resist:)

Anyway thanks for all the info. Your posts are one of the reasons I booked with Victor Bodden!

Fun-n-Sun is a group tour. It lasts for a few hours and you go to select places with your group. Cost is $25, including the monkeys.

Private tour lasts as long as you want (the entire time you are docked). You go anyplace you want and do anything you want. It is just your group...no strangers. Cost is $25 (if you have 4 or more people) and monkeys cost an additional $5.

Rockbock, have you done the Fun n Sun tour? You mention it is a few hours. We are booked for that but I am having trouble finding out exactly how long the tour is. We are in Coxen Hole 8-5pm and want to make the most of our time in port, including snorkeling West Bay. The Fun n Sun tour leaves 1 hour after the ship docks but does not specify a length of tour. It sounds like there is a bit of an island tour, a stop at Victor's Monkey place and then 2 hours at West Bay. I would like to get a better sense of how long of an island tour is included and whether this tour will take our whole day. If it is only short, we may look at doing something longer or to leave the tour at West Bay before they return to the ship.

Archived