July 23 - Med Cruise Weather

We will be on the Splendour on July 23. I've seen web sites with average high temps for Barcelona, Marseilles, Villefranche, Florence, Rome and Naples. We're from Florida and are use to high, muggy weather. How do these cities compare? Is it not as humid (that "dry heat")? Also, we are spending one evening in Barcelona and one in Paris. Are the evenings cool? The answer to this will help with packing. THANKS!!! :eek:

We will be on the Splendour on July 23. I've seen web sites with average high temps for Barcelona, Marseilles, Villefranche, Florence, Rome and Naples. We're from Florida and are use to high, muggy weather. How do these cities compare? Is it not as humid (that "dry heat")? Also, we are spending one evening in Barcelona and one in Paris. Are the evenings cool? The answer to this will help with packing. THANKS!!! :eek:

The weather in the Med is NOTHING like that sauna you call summer in Florida...

Most of the Mediteranean is in a climate identical to that we have here in Southern California...Summers are hot, but exceptionally DRY...You will have ZERO rain and VERY LOW HUMIDITY...It may get hot, like up into the 90s, but a very livable hot...Evenings will cool down a little, but not that much that you need a sweater or jacket or even long pants...nights are conmfortable...like in the 70s maybe...The sea is a tempering body which prevents wide temperature swings...

Pack light clothes...100% cotton...shorts, t-shirts, comfortable walking shoes, hat, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen...

I packed an insulated water bottle (find something with a good thick insulation) with a nice wide mouth and screw cap and every morning, before leaving the ship to go into port, I filled it with crushed ice at the buffet...

I agree, low humidity is the general rule. However, one day last July on the Amalfi coast the humidity was over 60% and the natives found it difficult. It i still nothing compared to the July humidity in the Midwest around the Great Lakes.

I have been in these places in the summer and I sort of disagree with the other posters...I found Rome and Florence to be very hot and HUMID especially Rome so I can only guess about Naples.I was in Naples last Sept. and thought it very hot and humid.The southern part of France is not to bad,and Barcelona can be quite HOT as well.Paris weather is so changable,but with light clothes you should be fine.You will not have to worry much about sweater's in the evening.Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with Cberge. It can get extremly hot and humid in Rome ,Florence or Naples. In 1998 Europe had a horrible heat wave in late June and early July. It hit 105 in Rome with extreme humidity. The difference between Florida and the Southern Med is that in the summer Florida is always humid and hot wheras the Med in summer can go in streaks with high temps and humidity More than half the time you can get average humidity and temps in the low 80's. Also this is more common in southern Italy and Greece. The Northern Med (The French Riviera)is rarily very hot and humid. Another note is that if you are right on the coast (Amalfi coast) you will get some relief during a heat wave but not inland (Rome,Florence).

As far as evenings in Barcelona it will be comfortible (70's) but Paris it can be cool (60). Western Europe (Paris) has summers where daytime temps of 80 is average but also summers with day temps in the high 60's. Bring a sweater or light jacket for Paris to be safe.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

We're on your cruise and we're from Florida too! I don't know for sure but I'm thinking that we won't be able to rely on any forecasts until just before we leave. I have heard that it can vary tremendously (sometimes they get cool fronts - and we should be so lucky since it would be a nice break from the rain & humidity we're having!). Let's cross our fingers...

What dinner seating are you?

Weather will be hot and dry most places although I do agree it may be more humid in Italy. do take a sweater as it can get really cool on the ship at night. Or anytime for that matter. They really crank up the airconditioning.

Paris could be sweltering or cool. very changable. Plan for layers incase of the latter.

It does cool down when one is in the shade and in the evenings.

Sunny Day -- Finally! Someone that's on our cruise! :) We're scheduled for the early seating (I'm going to see if we can get the 7 pm). My in-laws are also traveling with us. Weather-wise, at least there won't be any hurricanes for us to worry about over there! I am hoping that it's not sweltering in Rome and Florence (since they are inland). But we live in Tallahassee and I think this is the hottest and most humid spot in Florida (and I'm originally from Miami). E-mail me at debbierpof@comcast.net if you'd like to talk more about the cruise.

harrodsfan - thanks for the reminder that there is a/c on the cruise :D. I almost forgot I would be spending time there!

The last time I was in Naples and we were in Pompeii..It was so humid and hot you could barely breathe! We had a great time, it did eventaully rain and then it coled a bit! Capri was wonderful, but in Paris the heat and humidity were extreme. I guess it depends on the day.

By the way Debbie are you going to be in Naples on Aug 4th? We are on the Galaxy and are looking to share a tour with Francesco. He has the time, but I want to see herculaneum and do Positano/Ravello. Wouldyou consider a share?

Karen Queenk2@aol.com

Queenk2 - wish we were still traveling on August 2nd :( . I'd love to share a driver, but we will be in Naples on July 28. Have you started a thread asking for someone to share? I've seen those work before. I think we will be doing the RCCL shore excursion of Pompeii and Sorrento. I'm a little nervous about missing the ship (the next day is the day at sea):eek: . Good luck!

Karen - I'm so glad to meet some fellow cruisers pre-boarding! What tour guide are you using? We have made our reservations for the Vatican for that day, but I can find out from the rest of my party if they'd be interested. You can send me any info at debbierpof@comcast.net.

I had started a thread in the Roll Call for anyone traveling on the Splendour on July 23 and there were no hits. I don't think that we would have enough for a mix and mingle, unless more cruisers respond. Any idea on others out there?

Archived