late night snacks

domino1230

Never been on Holland America, but super excited about our cruise next year. We've been on other cruise lines, and one silly question I have is what if we want a late night snack (pizza, etc.). Lido (or anything other than room service) open at 10pm in case we want a late-night snack before bed. Thanks.

stupid question - but just curious - if you don't mind me asking?

WHY wouldn't you use the room service menu to augment your cruise experience??? it's got some nice choices and most of us can force that club house sandwich down pretty well:rolleyes::):p

Personally, I'll take the smoked salmon and request the bagels and all that goes with it - yes - you can get smoked salmon on the room service menu:) suggest you take a good look at it when you get on board. Not a lot of choices - but there is usually something most of us can eat one or two time;)

HAL has a late night buffet every night usually from 11 - midnight but it can vary. Check the daily program for times.

They change the menu each evening and one night will be Italian, another Tex Mex etc

Ice cream bar will be open and pizza available.

The other cruise line I've been on, the room service menu was pretty limited. Plus I ordered breakfast one morning which was pretty much a continental breakfast with fruit, and it was not good. What kind of things does HAL have on their room service menu?

stupid question - but just curious - if you don't mind me asking?

WHY wouldn't you use the room service menu to augment your cruise experience??? it's got some nice choices and most of us can force that club house sandwich down pretty well:rolleyes::):p

Personally, I'll take the smoked salmon and request the bagels and all that goes with it - yes - you can get smoked salmon on the room service menu:) suggest you take a good look at it when you get on board. Not a lot of choices - but there is usually something most of us can eat one or two time;)

In my case I sleep very little, 3 maybe 4 hours a night. If I have room service knocking on my door at 3 AM I will never get the opportunity to finish the cruise. The DW can change to an ogre in less than .02 seconds if you wake her up. So my reason is fear and common sense. :D

Room Service

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Previously posted by KK.

My favorite is the steak sandwich. It is really good.

I love having breakfast in my room. If there is something that I like and they run out, the person will keep an eye out when they restock the ship (longer cruises). For the world cruise the same person delivered my breakfast all but a couple of days. On one of them, and item which I liked was on my tray, I was told he had put it there. I did not have to put down unavailable items, he would keep an eye out for them. I did tip him everyday, and wrote him up as well.

I love HAL's room service.

Just to mention that when ordering room service on the Veendam (Aug 19 cruise), we were told that the wait period was 45 minutes to an hour, and that proved true.

The "breakfast card menu" order was delivered close to the time requested every morning.

Also the "All American Burger" on the menu was something I wouldn't feed to my dog - I really wish that title on the menu would be changed. Holland America can call it what they want, but please don't call it "All American":eek:. -S.

Another vote for the club sandwich, smoked salmon and apple tart. DH and I have made that kind of a tradition on our cruises. We order before bedtime as we eat dinner pretty early and get a DVD from the front desk. Always good. Enjoy!! The late night buffet always has something but we like to relax in our room watching a movie.

Also the "All American Burger" on the menu was something I wouldn't feed to my dog - I really wish that title on the menu would be changed. Holland America can call it what they want, but please don't call it "All American":eek:. -S.

The "fluff style" pre-packaged ground beef in tubes that comes from packing houses? That's All-American.

In my case I sleep very little, 3 maybe 4 hours a night. If I have room service knocking on my door at 3 AM I will never get the opportunity to finish the cruise. The DW can change to an ogre in less than .02 seconds if you wake her up. So my reason is fear and common sense. :D

A very smart man:D:D:D

Some posters have indicated you could order from the dinner menu and have it delivered at a certain time. Does anyone know how late it can be delivered?

You need to order early (either 1/2 hour when the dining room opens or at 6 pm - seems to depend on the ship). In any case - we have requested it for both 7 and 7:30. I believe it matches the MDR serving times but 7:30 is the latest we have done - otherwise might as well head down to the MDR:D

JThe "breakfast card menu" order was delivered close to the time requested every morning.

I have written in eggs benedict on the breakfast card and it has always been delivered. :)

We ordered burgers one night when we missed dinner in San Juan and the burgers were great!

Thanks, KK. I didn't know about the "Ship Flicks" snack package. Is the DVD rental available to every cabin category on every ship? I often take a "day off" during a cruise, and I'd very likely take advantage of this.

Is the DVD rental available to every cabin category on every ship? I often take a "day off" during a cruise, and I'd very likely take advantage of this.

Every cabin on every ship can get the DVDs at no charge. Just check the booklet on your desk (or on the TV shelf), call the Front Desk, and they will be delivered. Or, you can pick them up there yourself.

Thanks, KK. I didn't know about the "Ship Flicks" snack package. Is the DVD rental available to every cabin category on every ship? I often take a "day off" during a cruise, and I'd very likely take advantage of this.

The ships have a surprisingly lengthy list of titles.

Archived