Failing in Falmouth

jonbgd

We did the trolley tour which originates inside the gates. It was $15 pp and took about an hour. Our guide was very knowledgeable and told us quite a bit about the history of Falmouth and the local culture. We went inside a very interesting little church. There were a few vendors outside the church whom I did not find pushy at all. We enjoyed it and didn't have to spend a whole lot. :)

"The pot is starting to boil and, trust me, it will boil over if things don't change around here," said Davy, who helped build the pier as a construction worker but turned to crafts vending a year and a half ago.

Oasis/Allure can always go back to docking at Costa Maya....then the locals in Falmouth wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore.

Are they going to build Margaritiville inside the gate or outside? If it is inside then it will mostly not help the locals to much. They need people to go outside and spend some money IMO.

......Hey Commander in Chief......If you assign me a M-16 then count me in.....unarmed....I decline.........Sir.......;)

It would be a shame, if no one tours around the town. We did when we were there last year and even bought something for our new great-grandchild. Everyone was very nice and they could really need the money.

It would be a shame, if no one tours around the town. We did when we were there last year and even bought something for our new great-grandchild. Everyone was very nice and they could really need the money.

O.K O.K. We all gotta' know........Boy or Girl?......;):D:)

In August we were there, our daughter bought a braclet and made sure she got it from the locals, they wanted to walk outside of the port but after getting to the gate changed there mines. In the past she had vacationed at a rented house and had a driver who helped keep the vendors in line, so she was scared in falmouth on her own so to speak.

Oasis/Allure can always go back to docking at Costa Maya....then the locals in Falmouth wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore.
Not too likely with the amount of money RCI has invested in Falmouth, but the point is well taken.

even inside theres a little begging.to access shopping area you walk through a building that acts as a security check point on return to ship. as soon as we got into courtyard there was 5 or 6 guys on stilts wanting to take your picture with your camera and ask for a donation.felt a little uncomfortable with 5 guys around you and your (ummm how shall i say this) eye to junk.we did a brief walkaround and went right back to ship

That's the normal reaction and it usually works... however, what about the girl that jumps in front of you while you're taking a picture and then demands you pay her for taking a picture of her. Or the guy that asks your name and when you unknowingly give it to him starts carving it into a piece of wood and says that you then owe him. That's just a couple of examples of the tactics that locals use in Jamaica. They don't bother me so much and I know how to deal with them, but I'm not your typical traveler. :confused:

Yep, something similar happened to friends of mine. Before they knew it, two local vendors who appeared to be father and son wiped some aloe (the plant, not a bottle) on their sun burned arms and demanded money for it. The money wasn't much but you bet it certainly left a foul taste.

After too many stories like this the end result now is that not Royal Caribbean or Carnival want to passengers away from the locals, it's that many passengers themselves don't want to venture out.

This past December while doing a 10-nt B2B on the Celebrity Millennium we docked at Falmouth. It was rather nice and sterile inside the RCI port facility (like a Disney World version of Jamaica) with the usual gamut of shops save for a few local vendors set up under high-roof stalls selling their handiwork.

However, once outside the gate you were harassed (and I don't use that term lightly) by every single person wanting to sell you a tour or whatever. They followed you even after you said 'No, Thank you" a dozen or thirty times. Then when they dropped off the next one would pick up and follow you. That first two block stretch outside the gate until you get past them all (and there where a lot of them) was very unpleasant. And it certainly did not entice me to look at their offerings.

The rest of the town was a typical painted up version of a very poor Caribbean town with really nothing much to offer other than knick knacks and t-shirts. Club Nazz had cheap (or free) WiFi so I trekked over there for some light refreshments and to check up on emails and update my Live blog. On the way back I ran through the same gauntlet of very aggressive sales persons. No matter how many times you said 'No, Thank You' they still followed you as if you would suddenly 'see the light' and change you mind.

I'm going on Allure of the Seas in December (primarily for the ship and not the ports of call) and Falmouth is on the itinerary. I truly dread the thought of going into town to be able to use the WiFi at Club Nazz again. I may even skip that to avoid the mob outside the main gate. We'll also be in port with the brand new Carnival Breeze (a tentative port load of over 9000 passengers) so I am sure it will be doubly crowded with even more pushy sales people out in town. Argh.

I'm going on Allure of the Seas in December (primarily for the ship and not the ports of call) and Falmouth is on the itinerary. I truly dread the thought of going into town to be able to use the WiFi at Club Nazz again. I may even skip that to avoid the mob outside the main gate. We'll also be in port with the brand new Carnival Breeze (a tentative port load of over 9000 passengers) so I am sure it will be doubly crowded with even more pushy sales people out in town. Argh.

9000 people in that small area...good luck !:eek::eek:

We are stopping there with MSC. This is the first port ever that I'm really not looking forward to.

Even in Roatan we ventured off on our own, traveling on local buses but would never try that in Jamaica. They are just all too PUSHY for me.

I have said this dozens of x's already.... book an excursion for Falmouth and you will have a fun day to look forward to. The area inside the port is very nice...but will only occupy you for maybe 45 minutes....the town outside the gate unfortunately has nothing to offer.....and they wonder why people are getting on tour buses being whisked away...this shouldn't have to come to any surprise to the locals.....the reason Royal choose Falmouth as a new port is because it was centrally located between Mobay and Ocho....offering Royal an opportunity to sell dozens and dozens of excursions to both places.

However, once outside the gate you were harassed (and I don't use that term lightly) by every single person wanting to sell you a tour or whatever. They followed you even after you said 'No, Thank you" a dozen or thirty times. Then when they dropped off the next one would pick up and follow you. That first two block stretch outside the gate until you get past them all (and there where a lot of them) was very unpleasant. And it certainly did not entice me to look at their offerings.

The rest of the town was a typical painted up version of a very poor Caribbean town with really nothing much to offer other than knick knacks and t-shirts. Club Nazz had cheap (or free) WiFi so I trekked over there for some light refreshments and to check up on emails and update my Live blog. On the way back I ran through the same gauntlet of very aggressive sales persons. No matter how many times you said 'No, Thank You' they still followed you as if you would suddenly 'see the light' and change you mind.

this is exactly what I had planned, but now after reading I am little turned off. I think the internet is really just not worth it if I have to go through that experience. I will make my decision once I am there, but not sure that I will venture.

As for the 9000 in port that day, that might actually be good for you. There might be more brave souls thinking about venturing into town. That way the sellers will be more sparse.

BTW can you give me directions to club nazz from the gate?

Thank you

I have said this dozens of x's already.... book an excursion for Falmouth and you will have a fun day to look forward to. The area inside the port is very nice...but will only occupy you for maybe 45 minutes....the town outside the gate unfortunately has nothing to offer.....and they wonder why people are getting on tour buses being whisked away...this shouldn't have to come to any surprise to the locals.....the reason Royal choose Falmouth as a new port is because it was centrally located between Mobay and Ocho....offering Royal an opportunity to sell dozens and dozens of excursions to both places.

And I agree with you completely! There are some really good excursions you can take out of Falmouth.

However, the point of the original article was that Falmouth, the city, was not experiencing the anticipated per tourist spending of $100. And the primary reason for this, IMO, is that the environs outside the gates is not as friendly as that within the gates.

Unfortunately I don't know what the resolution to that problem is. I think, as a start, that the local gov't and the national gov't need to step up and put some of the port fees generated from Falmouth back into the city in some sort of revitalization effort. I don't blame the locals for wanting to make a living, but I'm not going to put myself into possibly dangerous situations to help them out. :(

I do believe that the local government should provide the locals with some basic education and maybe a more organized way to be setup outside. it would be a small investment, but it would let them realize why the tourists are not venturing into the city.

I would also really enjoy walking through the city, there are so many picture opportunities in old cities. It offers an entire new kind of perspective to the world.

Agreed -

We booked an independent excursion to Montego Bay, so while the port has nothing to offer, at least at Falmouth we had a chance to get to Mobay. All other times we stopped at Jamaica – it has been Ochos Rios.

M

We visited Falmouth last summer. With no excursion booked we went off the ship to go for a walk. The dock had nothing to offer us so we left the fenced in area and were quite chocked once we got outside.

The locals nearly attacked us with their offers about all and nothing. We said "no thank you" to all, but were followed by vendors who could not accept a no.

I know it's a cultural thing. I'm from Sweden where we do not deal about prices. We pay what the sign says. When people say "no thank you" we accept and let people browse peacefully.

I understand that's not the way to do business all over the world. But with that said I must add that I still don't like the Jamaican way to push their business.

If the vendors outside the fence took a couple of steps back and let the guests stroll around in peace I think the would be more successful in their business.

We ended up back at the ship after just 45 minutes off. We ha a simulated sea day on board. I would love to sit at a local bar to have a couple of beers. Maybe chatting with some locals.

Maybe I could have had that if I had pushed my way through the gauntlet. But I wouldn't know since we felt offended and turned back for the ship.

Next time we will have an excursion planned, as we did in 2008 in Ocho Rios. Back then we had a great time riding ATV:s and talking to the local staff.

BTW can you give me directions to club nazz from the gate?

Thank you

Club Nazz has free WiFi if you are dining there, or $3 per hour if not dining. The place is not air conditioned though. Even in December it was very hot in Falmouth.

Directions:

- At the end of the long walkway leading to the main exit for the RCI port complex exit through the compound gates, then walk ONE full block straight once you are out of the port gates.

- Turn right and head for Water Square.

- After passing the light blue clock tower building on your left and before hitting the center of the square turn left.

- Head for a grey-blue building at the back of the square. The street veers right and Club Nazz is on the next corner with blue awning.

It will take you maybe 10 minutes to walk there once you exit the RCI port complex.

Blue clock tower building

43e63d3a-e8d4-2dac.jpg

Club Nazz

43e63d3a-e8fa-7313.jpg

More pictures from my visit Dec 2011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31542051&postcount=219

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31542057&postcount=220

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/72157628396779075/with/6503083049/

Even in Roatan we ventured off on our own, traveling on local buses but would never try that in Jamaica. They are just all too PUSHY for me.

Roatan was actually really great, wasn't it? The vendors were very nice, not pushy at all, and the town, although very poor, was quite safe to walk around. I think it is one of the best kept secrets in the Caribbean.

...9000 people in that small area...good luck !:eek::eek:

In Falmouth, I'm sure it will be nothing short of a nightmare...:cool:

Club Nazz has free WiFi if you are dining there, or $3 per hour if not dining. The place is not air conditioned though. Even in December it was very hot in Falmouth.

Directions:

- At the end of the long walkway leading to the main exit for the RCI port complex exit through the compound gates, then walk ONE full block straight once you are out of the port gates.

- Turn right and head for Water Square.

- After passing the light blue clock tower building on your left and before hitting the center of the square turn left.

- Head for a grey-blue building at the back of the square. The street veers right and Club Nazz is on the next corner with blue awning.

It will take you maybe 10 minutes to walk there once you exit the RCI port complex.

Blue clock tower building

43e63d3a-e8d4-2dac.jpg

Club Nazz

43e63d3a-e8fa-7313.jpg

More pictures from my visit Dec 2011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31542051&postcount=219

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31542057&postcount=220

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/72157628396779075/with/6503083049/

thanks, I believe you gave directions to it already, but I lost them. Thanks once again. I am going to copy them and keep them in a safe folder this time. Just in case I decide to go.

I wonder if more people will stay around the Falmouth port once the Margaritaville is finished. I heard it's supposed to have a pirate ship, water slides, pools, etc, so that's sure to attract people who don't relish being stuck on a bus. By reading CC, its seems Margaritivilles have quite a following, so by my math... more people hanging locally would mean more people spending money locally. However, I kind of doubt the Margaritiville will open on its expected November date when we haven't heard nary a word around here on its progress or even if construction has started on the buildings :confused::confused:: November is just a few weeks away :confused::confused:. I guess it must be falling into the "no worries mon" mentality and typical Jamaican scheduling :confused:

I had an email from someone from Margaritavillen Corp a couple of weeks ago and she said the Falmouth location was due to open in January 2013. We will see......

Archived