Failing in Falmouth

jonbgd

thanks, I believe you gave directions to it already, but I lost them. Thanks once again. I am going to copy them and keep them in a safe folder this time. Just in case I decide to go.

You can just link the Post to your Favorites and print it out later. ;)

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who have been outside the gates, how far does the "gauntlet" go?

We are planning on running, and if it's only a few blocks, that goes by really fast, and it's quite easy to ignore people at a jogging pace. I was hoping to run around the town where it's a little more calm. If the area is too "thick"- then we may consider a physical excursion (we did a biking one in the past which was great).

I have seen the tactic of "try, and now pay me" and it failed badly a few times- people didn't pay for a trial of coconut water, and the guy was left with an unusable coconut. Bad for him- if he just sells it straight up, I'd buy one. But the whole baiting to buy is tough to live with.

Should start to look at real excursions, I suppose.

And I agree with you completely! There are some really good excursions you can take out of Falmouth.

However, the point of the original article was that Falmouth, the city, was not experiencing the anticipated per tourist spending of $100. And the primary reason for this, IMO, is that the environs outside the gates is not as friendly as that within the gates.

Unfortunately I don't know what the resolution to that problem is. I think, as a start, that the local gov't and the national gov't need to step up and put some of the port fees generated from Falmouth back into the city in some sort of revitalization effort. I don't blame the locals for wanting to make a living, but I'm not going to put myself into possibly dangerous situations to help them out. :(

When Royal devolved the port at Falmouth they always told the folks in Falmouth that it was up to them to develop the area outside the port as a tourist area....that simply hasn't happened...and until it does they wouldn't see the revenue gains they are looking for....no one wants to get off a billion $ ship and walk around a impoverished town on their vacation.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who have been outside the gates, how far does the "gauntlet" go?

We are planning on running, and if it's only a few blocks, that goes by really fast, and it's quite easy to ignore people at a jogging pace. I was hoping to run around the town where it's a little more calm. If the area is too "thick"- then we may consider a physical excursion (we did a biking one in the past which was great).

I have seen the tactic of "try, and now pay me" and it failed badly a few times- people didn't pay for a trial of coconut water, and the guy was left with an unusable coconut. Bad for him- if he just sells it straight up, I'd buy one. But the whole baiting to buy is tough to live with.

Should start to look at real excursions, I suppose.

With the way the roads and streets are there and the way people drive....I wouldn't ever think to go running in the area....simply not safe.

With the way the roads and streets are there and the way people drive....I wouldn't ever think to go running in the area....simply not safe.

I'd be surprised if it was that much worse than Nassau. We've run there- way back into the neighborhoods.

I just want to know how deep the "gauntlet" is, not if you feel safe if I should run or not.

It's can't be *that* bad, since there's a walking tour of Foulmoth as an excursion. If an organized tour can walk, we can run.

I'd be surprised if it was that much worse than Nassau. We've run there- way back into the neighborhoods.

I just want to know how deep the "gauntlet" is, not if you feel safe if I should run or not.

It's can't be *that* bad, since there's a walking tour of Foulmoth as an excursion. If an organized tour can walk, we can run.

Well you asked...I gave my opinion:)

I had an email from someone from Margaritavillen Corp a couple of weeks ago and she said the Falmouth location was due to open in January 2013. We will see......

And I suspect we will see January come and go with no official opening. The original articles from the Spring all stated the grand opening to be sometime in the fall of 2012 and obviously that will come and go with nothing to show. I keep hearing about this "Island Time" that everyone is on... maybe a good thing to be selling around those parts are watches :rolleyes: I'm curious though, has anyone even SEEN any construction going on at the Margaritaville? If there are actually some building in progress, then hey, maybe a January opening will happen. If not, then I say it's probably a fat chance. At this rate, I'm doubting if it will even be open when we sail in March

i often defend jamaica, and still will. it is a pretty country with good people. most tourism exposure to jamaica comes from cruising. and unfortunately all everyone remembers is the pushiness. do you want some ganja. do u want a taxi. do u want your hair braided. do u want your hair braided in a taxi with ganja. i always just say to say no thanks and keep moving.

for the record i have been to labadee, haiti and they are twice as pushy there.

Irie - that's exactly what I was going to say (only you said it better :)) Whenever I have been to jamaica, the residents made me feel uncomfortable. The pushiness and schemes have left me to decide to stay on the ships when in Jamaica.

Well you asked...I gave my opinion:)

I asked how far the gauntlet goes, not whether you think I should run or not- I can make that decision.

And the distance is a objective answer- a block, two blocks, 1/4 mile- a real distance. Not a subjective answer- aka- an opionion.

I appreciate you trying to look out for us, but I just want to know how far the people go.

It is sad that this isn't working out for the people of Falmouth. The desperation bred by poverty seems to cause people to shoot themselves in the foot. If they weren't so desperate, they wouldn't push and they would get customers. Instead, they drive away the very thing they need: tourists. But how do you break that cycle?

As a police officer up here in Michigan (suburb of Detroit) and just recently went to Falmouth & ocho rios I can safely say I felt very unsafe. Locals are way to pushy and aggressive. In June my family and I ventured outside the gates, was stopped by a local cop who gave us a friendly warning "you know where your going?" We were immediately locked onto and saying a polite friendly "no thank you" fell on deaf ears. Constant in your face sales where if I was back home probably would have resulted in a physical altercation. The whole time there I was thinking to myself that if the locals would chill out a little their income would increase. They are their own worst enemy. We still had fun there but out of all the Caribbean ports we have visited Jamaica has been the worst. My advice , booked and excursion and avoid the locals (outside the gates).

Yep, something similar happened to friends of mine. Before they knew it, two local vendors who appeared to be father and son wiped some aloe (the plant, not a bottle) on their sun burned arms and demanded money for it. The money wasn't much but you bet it certainly left a foul taste.

After too many stories like this the end result now is that not Royal Caribbean or Carnival want to passengers away from the locals, it's that many passengers themselves don't want to venture out.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I LOVE your signature!! Everything comes back to Star Trek! Where did you find that?

We have been there twice. Once in the early construction phase and another when it was nearly complete. Frankly, any port, anywhere, is what you make of it!

Both times we truly enjoyed ourselves...One time, simply sitting and listening to a local band, drinking Red Stripe and kicking back with a few crew members. The other time, checking out the local vendors, ignoring the pushy ones and keeping a smile on our faces.

If you go with a fixed mind that you will not enjoy the port....you won't!!!!

Our next visit on 6 weeks, will be a beach....

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I LOVE your signature!! Everything comes back to Star Trek! Where did you find that?

That is too cool! I wonder how the buffet is? If I recall you could tell the computer what you wanted and it appeared in a little door.

Until you get a reply you might try the link that's on the picture: cruise-ships.com

I asked how far the gauntlet goes, not whether you think I should run or not- I can make that decision.

And the distance is a objective answer- a block, two blocks, 1/4 mile- a real distance. Not a subjective answer- aka- an opionion.

I appreciate you trying to look out for us, but I just want to know how far the people go.

That's fine....enjoy.

And just for the record...I am a daily 5 mile runner and have been to Falmouth several X's. I have also been to Nassau dozens of X's...and Nassau makes Falmouth look like a luxury resort town in comparison.

That's fine....enjoy.

And just for the record...I am a daily 5 mile runner and have been to Falmouth several X's. I have also been to Nassau dozens of X's...and Nassau makes Falmouth look like a luxury resort town in comparison.

so, then, how far do the people go?

Sorry. Been busy. I picked up a port map from the main entrance building when I was there (labeled Terminal on the second map, this is also the ONLY way to enter the complex and get to town) and since I don't have a scanner took a picture of it just now and downloaded it.

The town is quite small so the gauntlet, although seems like it lasts forever, mainly runs from the complex main exit gate for one solid block (highlighted in yellow). There are also some 'sales people' on the stretch up past the blue Clock Tower building near the Albert George Market but no where near as aggressive.

I also indicated on the first map where Club Nazz is located.

The ship will back in and dock starboard side to the West Wharf (see second map).

8080041414_4c339f1987_c.jpg

Detail of area around RCI port complex and downtown Falmouth

8080002112_76a7e8deb4_c.jpg

LARGE SIZE

PA120636

More Sizes

PA120636

City of Falmouth, Jamaica

8079998133_2b49380dc8_c.jpg

Large Size

PA120637

More sizes

PA120637

Hope this helps! :D

We have been there twice. Once in the early construction phase and another when it was nearly complete. Frankly, any port, anywhere, is what you make of it!

Both times we truly enjoyed ourselves...One time, simply sitting and listening to a local band, drinking Red Stripe and kicking back with a few crew members. The other time, checking out the local vendors, ignoring the pushy ones and keeping a smile on our faces.

If you go with a fixed mind that you will not enjoy the port....you won't!!!!

Our next visit on 6 weeks, will be a beach....

This has been our experience exactly. We're going to be there again in December, and I'm actually looking forward to some jerk chicken and a Red Stripe in the dock area.

I have also taken the trolley tour, and felt completely safe. The Guide was knowledgeable, and did their best to present the area in a good light. Would I venture out on my own into town? No. However, I've been to many other ports and countries where I felt the same way.

Getting back to the article, I have to say I disagree with the picture it

presents.

"An additional $270 million went to shore excursions, which are typically sold by the cruise lines. Just $87 million went to local crafts and souvenirs, according to the report."

The dock is providing jobs to locals, and the shore excursions are run by locals. Even if you pay your fee to RCCL for shore excursions, they are contracting with locals. The dock is pouring money into the economy, without a doubt.

Unfortunately, the country is terribly poor, and I don't know how much money you would have to pour in, to turn around areas like Falmouth. Unfortunately, like many tourist towns, if entrepreneurs see an opportunity to build outside the gates and it becomes more tourist friendly, it's just going to chase out the long time residents. So, they still will not benefit from the influx of money generated from the dock.

Irie - that's exactly what I was going to say (only you said it better :)) Whenever I have been to jamaica, the residents made me feel uncomfortable. The pushiness and schemes have left me to decide to stay on the ships when in Jamaica.

Short and sweet, you said it all right there, and I agree!

My first trip to Jamaica (not on a ship) was in '78, the next was in '79, both at all inclusive resorts. We learned in '78 not to venture outside the resort. I was there again in '90 (at the Grand Lido), and nothing had changed; stay within the resort. Even then, while on the beach you had the locals coming to sell you pot.

The last time I went to Jamaica was in the late 90s, on Regal Empress. We did not get off the ship!

If the locals want business, they need to learn to change their act, as it mostly does not work. Sadly, they have yet to learn this. :confused:

It's not just Jamaica either, but Jamaica is notorious for this. Why they cannot figure this out is beyond me.

Now, let's go to Grand Cayman, totally different. Same with St. Lucia, Barbados and Aruba (all on a ship). While not Caribbean, Bermuda is in a class by itself.

When the locals figure out that you get more with "sugar" than "spice", then perhaps they will make some money. Sadly, they have yet to learn this after decades. Sad, but true.

Lots and lots of very good information!!!

:D

that is very awesome data!!! Thanks you so much for the information- moreso that you added the walking tour! That is very helpful!

I will review it with DW in the next few days.

As a police officer up here in Michigan (suburb of Detroit) and just recently went to Falmouth & ocho rios I can safely say I felt very unsafe. Locals are way to pushy and aggressive. In June my family and I ventured outside the gates, was stopped by a local cop who gave us a friendly warning "you know where your going?" We were immediately locked onto and saying a polite friendly "no thank you" fell on deaf ears. Constant in your face sales where if I was back home probably would have resulted in a physical altercation. The whole time there I was thinking to myself that if the locals would chill out a little their income would increase. They are their own worst enemy. We still had fun there but out of all the Caribbean ports we have visited Jamaica has been the worst. My advice , booked and excursion and avoid the locals (outside the gates).

...I bet you were really thinking "boy I wish I had my side arm"......;):cool:

We were there last January. My dh insisited we go outside the gates. We only had one person actually pursue us vigilantly. My guess is about 2-3 blocks and you're outside the initial "gauntlet" if you're referring to "gauntlet" as the people crammed around trying to sell stuff. That was walking straight out from the gates. We didn't go to the left or right, but I did wonder if we had went away from the crowds would it have "felt" safer.

Could not agree more! I found Labadee to be extremely pushy :eek:

We were swarmed by vendors in the straw market in Labadee. A security guard had to come and rescue us. They were not going to let us go. We would have spent more money if they hadn't been like sharks in a feeding frenzy. We also won't return to the straw market there.

Needless to say, but I will say it anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised in Coco Cay.

Archived