DCL Fantasy vs NCL Breakaway

ashleyt

Hi,

We are trying to decide between a DCL Fantasy Caribbean cruise and an NCL Breakaway Caribbean cruise in early 2014. We would be traveling in concierge and the haven respectively.

Our kids will be 9 & 7. We have only cruised once before, a Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream.

Cost is a nonfactor.

Any thoughts?

I see that you are in Canada, so you'll have to fly to either ship. Since cost is a nonfactor, I guess it depends on your kids. At those ages, they will probably spend a lot of time in the kids club, so DCL may be your best bet. You've already been on the Dream -- it looks like the Fantasy is almost identical -- so you/they already know what to expect on the ship. On the other hand, the Breakaway will be a new experience for the kids.

Regardless of your choice, I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

If cost is a non factor, of course Disney falls into a different catagory of ships, the cabins are bigger and the kids are still at an age where they should enjoy all the kids activities. As much as I am a loyalist to NCL, but we cruise all lines, I think this is almost a no brainer. I would choose Disney. After another year or so the kids will be getting too old for Disney. That is when you might want to try some other cruise lines...

That is a tough one. The Fantasy is almost identical to the Dream so you know what that ship is about. We've been on the Dream but for March 2014 we are going Breakaway. Only 584 days to go I think. I think the Haven has an edge vs. DCL and if it is the spring out of NYC, the Haven has a retractable roof to cover any colder days into/out of NYC.

On DCL you do have the kids club and Castaway Cay though. As the other poster said, as your kids get older DCL becomes less enticing.

We have sailed in concierge suites on all four Disney ships and in Haven suites on the Jewel and twice on the Epic. If it's for the most entertaining experience for the kids, I would choose Disney but if you are looking for the best concierge experience... NCL's Haven and perks, IMO are so much better than the concierge experience on Disney.

Our kids have loved their experiences on Disney but they also have had just as much fun on the NCL. My kids just love to cruise.

We've done a couple of DCL concierge suites and a couple of Epic Haven suites with DS, who is currently 9. He asked for our next cruise to be on DCL Dream, mostly because we were parked next to it in a port last time we were on Epic and he saw the water-coaster. :rolleyes: I will tell you that we absolutely love both-- Epic has a great kids club and many of the shows are very kid-friendly, including the early Second City show, which our kid loves. I don't know about NCL's smaller ships. I agree with others who suggest doing Disney now, simply because your kids will age out of it soon, and then you can enjoy NCL for a few years after that!!

Thanks for all the advice. I was leaning toward DCL, but my husband does not like cruises like the rest of us to do. He wants to do other things with our vacation time. So I don't know if there will ever be another time after this one.

DCL was excellent, so going with what we know can't be a bad thing, I suppose.

We've done a couple of DCL concierge suites and a couple of Epic Haven suites with DS, who is currently 9. He asked for our next cruise to be on DCL Dream, mostly because we were parked next to it in a port last time we were on Epic and he saw the water-coaster. :rolleyes: I will tell you that we absolutely love both-- Epic has a great kids club and many of the shows are very kid-friendly, including the early Second City show, which our kid loves. I don't know about NCL's smaller ships. I agree with others who suggest doing Disney now, simply because your kids will age out of it soon, and then you can enjoy NCL for a few years after that!!

I remember last year being in Nassau on the Dream and the Epic being docked next to us. I don't think you can go wrong with the newer DCL ships or Epic and Breakaway.

The Aquaduck was busy at times with waits as long as 45 minutes but during the first dinner time (actually around 4:45) the pool area would clear out and the line was a max of 5 minutes so you could ride and ride.

I remember last year being in Nassau on the Dream and the Epic being docked next to us. I don't think you can go wrong with the newer DCL ships or Epic and Breakaway.

The Aquaduck was busy at times with waits as long as 45 minutes but during the first dinner time (actually around 4:45) the pool area would clear out and the line was a max of 5 minutes so you could ride and ride.

On our recent Fantasy cruise, they kept the Aquaduck open until 11:00 pm a couple of nights. DD and I went one of those nights after early dining and there were about 4 other people... no wait except the time it took to climb the stairs.

I would pick NCL over DCL for the Haven, butlers, and overall suite service. Now, you will not have fireworks at sea or a pirate deck party, but you will not have rotational dining (a big plus for us).

I think NCL offers a more well rounded vacation experience for the whole family. We loved our Disney trips, but we loved them because the kids had a blast. Our NCL trips are fun for everyone and our children can join us in the specialty dining venues.

Happy planning,

Cherie

DCL seems like a much better fit .. theres just so many different activities that they offer .. and the shows were amazing!! The show on the last night actually made me cry .. The different bars/nightclubs were so gorgeous and just fun to walk through.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, IMO you are never too old for Disney. I disagree with the OP that said this could be the last time your children will find Disney magical. My daughters are 18 and 21 and just love DCL and so do my husband and I. I have met couples on their honeymoon having a great time along with other couples with grown children. The Fantasy not only has great entertainment, service and food, but the adults only areas (and there are a lot) are a lot of fun. The Breakaway I'm sure will be a really good cruise and we are planning a cruise on her Dec 2013, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the Fantasy hands down. The Epic is nice, but I hope the Breakaway will be better.

I am currently in the same dillema...not sure which to choose! I am a huge Disney fan and know that the Fantasy would be a dream come true...on the other hand, I love NCL and know that the breakaway will be amazing and really fun too...I guess the main difference we have is that money is a factor and we don't have kids. :D In the end I think that no matter which cruise you choose, it will be an awesome trip. Doesnt seem you can go wrong with these two ships!

How do your kids feel about rotational dining? That would be the deciding factor for me. DH and I are HUGE disney fans- our honeymoon was 18 days of Disney bliss (land+sea).

That being said, we HATED the Dream because of the 2.5 hour dinners :eek:, and probably won't sail DCL for a long time again- we are spoiled with freestyle on NCL.

Hi,

We are trying to decide between a DCL Fantasy Caribbean cruise and an NCL Breakaway Caribbean cruise in early 2014. We would be traveling in concierge and the haven respectively.

Our kids will be 9 & 7. We have only cruised once before, a Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream.

Cost is a nonfactor.

Any thoughts?

Both lines have great children clubs. Do you and spouse want to spend a week with the mouse and listen to Disney songs all week, or do you want real adult times when they are in the club. My vote, NCL. How many times can you listen to "It's a small world"? Just my opinion

Archived