Felow Cruisers, join me in this message.

saturnsc

In regards to the declining quality on Carnival Cruise lines and ever increasing prices.....join me in this message.

Gerry Cahill, you say you want to lead, you want Carnival to lead the world in cruise vacations. Well dammit, lead! There are 36 million repeat cruisers waiting to hear your voice!

He's net even re-branding the product. He's just trying to keep it profitable. If you want elegance, cruise Regent. If you want affordability, which I do, cruise Carnival.

It's not about elegance. It's about what you get for your $$$ and since first cruised in 2007, I can tell you that you're getting a lot less.

In regards to the declining quality on Carnival Cruise lines and ever increasing prices.....join me in this message.

Gerry Cahill, you say you want to lead, you want Carnival to lead the world in cruise vacations. Well dammit, lead! There are 36 million repeat cruisers waiting to hear your voice!

The information I've seen doesn't agree with the increasing prices comment: overall, isn't the average cruise fare about where it was ~20 years ago, before adjusting for inflation (so relatively, cruising is much less expensive than it was)?

As far as quality - at least food quality, isn't it much better on Carnival than years ago? I've only been cruising since 2005, but it was my understanding that Carnival had a reputation as lacking in food quality, but that the food quality had improved. As far as the past couple of years has gone, I can't comment as I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2010.

Sure there are some cutbacks, but I've been very happy with my Carnival cruises. I've actually been a bit disappointed with RCI - they've been great cruises, but I expected more since RCI charges a bit more in general for a similar experience IMO.

Really? I have been cruising Carnival for 7 years now, and have not seen the prices go up. You can still get a 7-day Caribbean cruise out of Florida for less than $400 pp.

Really?? Not everyone lives in Florida and can book and cruise the same day. And prices have risen if you account for everything, fare, drink prices, excursions, etc. On top of that, quality has stagnated.

The information I've seen doesn't agree with the increasing prices comment: overall, isn't the average cruise fare about where it was ~20 years ago, before adjusting for inflation (so relatively, cruising is much less expensive than it was)?

As far as quality - at least food quality, isn't it much better on Carnival than years ago? I've only been cruising since 2005, but it was my understanding that Carnival had a reputation as lacking in food quality, but that the food quality had improved. As far as the past couple of years has gone, I can't comment as I haven't cruised on Carnival since 2010.

Sure there are some cutbacks, but I've been very happy with my Carnival cruises. I've actually been a bit disappointed with RCI - they've been great cruises, but I expected more since RCI charges a bit more in general for a similar experience IMO.

Really? no increase in prices? Perhaps you don't buy anything on board, you don't drink or go on excursions. And perhaps you've magically skirted all the increased nickle and diming.

I guess I will be the only one to agree with you. They need to up their game a bit. Bring back the Lido bands. Jetison the meattloaf. Not many changes are needed. just a few could help out alot.

Thank you! I would prefer carnival went back to Carnival 1.0 before 2008 when it was Carnival 10.0

Really? no increase in prices? Perhaps you don't buy anything on board, you don't drink or go on excursions. And perhaps you've magically skirted all the increased nickle and diming.

I'm going by statistics I've read (and since it's on the internet, I know it's true lol).

There might be more nickel and diming going on, but I'd rather have as little in the base fare and choose what to spend my money on. If everything is included, I might be paying for a lot of products/services that I don't use or want.

Not always possible. And you have to admit, if you cruised prior to 2008, you know that carnival has slipped markedly on their game.

At least on our cruise in 2010, we saw no significant drop in overall experience from our first cruise in 2005. That's why we're going back to Carnival next year after giving RCI another chance this past summer.

Ever since fru-fru coffee became the norm it has been charged for, and I can't ever remember soda being offered as a normal item. I can remember drinks being cheaper but then I can remember them being much cheaper "on land" too. Excursions may be more expensive but when I remember the old rickity school buses that broke down and the brown bag lunches I ain't complaining.

I still find "cruising" much less expensive than most "land" vacations and a lot less worrisome than trying to pick where I'm going to be, where I'm going to stay, or where I'm going to eat for 7 days once I reach my destination.

Once upon a time cruising was only for the fur and cuban cigar set with their dinner jackets and bryl-creamed hair. Now most middle Americans can afford to go...keep up the good work Carnival and others.

I always compare the price of a Carnival cruise with the price of a land-based vacation. Carnival will always win. If I want MORE, I'll expect to pay more accordingly. I'm satisfied with the product that's currently offered.

Same here... actually, I used to. Don't usually anymore since every time a cruise came out less expensive.

My first cruise was in 1995. It was a honeymoon cruise. Our stateroom had a port hole and two twin beds that couldn't be moved together. The nightstand in between was bolted down. That cruise was the highest fare I have ever paid with Carnival. The ship was old, the drinks were pricey. You know what?? That was the best trip I have ever had!! I'll take Carnival anyway.

CCl used to be a lot more elegant, styleish and had much better food.

What folks want now is a cheap fare, generic beer and all the troughs in the buffet full.

Carnival used to be elegant and stylish? I had no idea. lol

That wasn't exactly their reputation...and when I started cruising, people told me how bad Carnival's food used to be but that they had improved it markedly. Again, I can't speak for prior to 2005 or after 2010, but the quality of my meals has always been at least satisfactory.

If I were used to eating at Morton's on a regular basis, then I'd be disappointed. But a nice meal out to me is more like Outback Steakhouse or similar.

CCl used to be a lot more elegant, styleish and had much better food.

What folks want now is a cheap fare, generic beer and all the troughs in the buffet full.

And there is nothing more enlightening than an over generalization of the Carnival customer base [/sarcasm]

As a frequent cruiser of many lines I will point out that the Carnival brand has a variety of ships offering different levels of what people love. If you want elegance then choose one of their other lines or find another brand (as a stockholder in CCL, NCL, and RCL it doesn't matter which brand you select, I will benefit regardless). Have you tried one of their newer ships or are you referring to perhaps the Fantasy class offerings. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I am doing 3 sailings in November aboard Carnival on 3 different ships, cruising solo, and still paid under $1,600 for ALL 3 CRUISES including port fees and tax. Your vague assertion carries no merit without pointed evidence. In addition to the prices, one of the ships offers a 'drink all day' program for around $45...

Carnival is known as the 'Fun Ships' for a reason. They are a lower cost brand that focuses on packaged fun... If that brand does not fit your style PICK ANOTHER BRAND. Whining about it will not do a thing.

Say what?!??! Ummm... don't include us in that, so decrease your figure by two cruisers. We haven't noticed any sort of declining quality, OR increased prices. The prices have been amazing, & we always book balconies. :D

I guess I will be the only one to agree with you. They need to up their game a bit. Bring back the Lido bands. Jetison the meattloaf. Not many changes are needed. just a few could help out alot.

Well, they don't need to do any of that and still fill the ship.

This is where shorts and T-shirts for dining has evolved to-they don't need to care.

Elegent, the style of the ship and the people on it.

I like Costa much more thatCCl. But Costa only sails in the winter from Fla.

CCL had a style, it might have been tacky but it was a style.

I have been sailing on CCL since 1974.

I'm not a grey beard.

The cheapening of CCL is a good thing, it opened my cruise choices to other lines.

So I guess its good that carnival has cheapened their product, for me at least.

My last cruise was on the Freedom (09-12), real plain, generic cruisemates.

If you don't think other guests don't affect your cruise (good and bad), you must never leave your cabin.

Archived