Transfers Santiago - Valparaiso

Cosmic Rays

If anybody has this year made a transfer by private car (or other) how much can I expect to pay pleasefrom Santiago to the port at Valparaiso? TravelCube GTA Tours are mentioned.

Similarly transfers from Santiago Airport to the Galerias Hotel, and from the port in Buenos Aires to the Savoy Hotel.

Thanks

We used Juan Carlos Gonzalez for a transfer and tour. I can't really help with the cost because we used him to pick us up at the airport, stop at 2 wineries on the way to Valparaiso, we then stayed overnight at a hotel and he met us there the next morning for a walking and driving tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar before dropping us at the cruise terminal. There were 4 of us and we felt the price was very reasonable for all that we did. He can be reached at jcgonzalez65@hotmail dot com. We paid him when he dropped us at the cruise terminal.

He was great and can't recommend him enough.

• 3 months later...

The cheapest way, which is also easy, is to take the subway in Santiago out to the "Parjaritos" station. At the top of the stairs turn left and through an exit to the bus terminal where there are four companies running buses out to Valparaiso bus terminal. Costs $10-$12US.

In Valparaiso it is a ten to fifteen minute walk through hustle-bustle streets towards the water. When you get to the waterfront you might be able to see your cruise ship way off to the left. But don't head towards it! (That is where I made a huge mistake) Instead, go to your right. You should see some overpasses and if you walk under them you will emerge on the other side to a non-descript little security gate. The security guards won't even wave you over, but that is where you go. The terminal building is just past the little security office. There are shuttle buses that run you all around the bay and over to your ship.

I tried to look this up before I left and couldn't find a decent description so I hope this helps.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Remember that it is possible to make the most of your holiday time by using a transfer tour. Not many people realize that in between Santiago and Valparaiso you have the Casablanca valley full of vineyards and nice restaurants.

We used a company called "wine tours valparaiso" run by a British guy who has been living their for years.

A wonderful experience.

winetoursvalparaiso.cl is the website.

Hope this is of use

Bradshore13:

Did you do a transfer wine tour the same day as embarkation, or the day prior? My wife and I are looking into such a tour but aren't sure if its feesible to do it the same day as embarkation (we'd likely be getting in to Santiago between 8-10 am with the ship departure at 6pm).

I did the route that Salty Dave describes above some years ago and it was an easy and inexpensive way to get from the coast to Santiago.

And you get to experience being among the local folks and that's why I travel.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

If anybody has this year made a transfer by private car (or other) how much can I expect to pay pleasefrom Santiago to the port at Valparaiso? TravelCube GTA Tours are mentioned.

Similarly transfers from Santiago Airport to the Galerias Hotel, and from the port in Buenos Aires to the Savoy Hotel.

Thanks

Just returned, if you ride local transport you must go to town and transfer. I went ahead and used the "vanman" christian(highly reviewed) and shared with others it was less than $20pp, his website is "thevanmanadventures".

good luck

cruisinbob

We were lucky with our transfer recommended by our travel agent. We used Alwin (pronounced 'Alvin) Schuler Espindola (AlwinSchuler@hotmail.com). He picked us up at the dock in Valparaiso at 9:00, took the 2 hr drive to Santiago with only a rest stop) but provided Chile info on the way. When we got to Santiago we got off the bus several times -the race track, government area, main downtown square, the Central market (for lunch on our own), the hill overlook, a lapis store - and rode through many interesting areas. He was kind enough to pay for a rest stop for whoever wanted it in downtown (Banos are not free). His English is excellent, he loves his city and he was by far the best guide we had during our 3 week cruise. He dropped us off at our hotels before going on to the airport. The tour lasted until 4:00pm. He also gave us recommendations for what to do for the next day, places to eat and arranged for pickup the next day to the airport. I can't recomment him highly enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We arranged for AboutChile to collect us at the dock in Valpo in late February 2013 and provide a several hour tour of Valpo and Vina del Mar, then take us to a good restaurant in Vina for a late lunch, and finally drive us to our hotel in Santiago. For the two of us, the cost (excluding tip and lunch) was $115 per person. It would have been less per person if either we or AboutChile had enlisted additional riders. We were very pleased with the arrangements and the guide.

A return trip from Santiago to Vina several days later, with stops at two wineries, was $130 per person for the two of us. Again, it would have been less per person if there were extra people.

John

• 2 months later...

This may sound silly, but am I correct in assuming that these Valparaiso - Santiago tour operators also work from Santiago - Valparaiso? Travelling alone, however, I think they might be a bit pricey for me, even though many of you say they're reasonable.

I'd like to arrive in Santiago (with a transfer to a good hotel), stay one or maybe two nights and then transfer to Valparaiso, preferably seeing a few worthwhile places on the way to the ship.

Thanks, Marie

I expect that all the Santiago/Valpo based operators do 1-way transfer tours from Santiago to Valpo; AboutChile certainly did. If you are travelling solo and do not want to take the inexpensive bus described by Salty Dave, your best bet may be to use the roll call thread for your cruise to seek others who would like to share the trip and the cost. When we booked transfer tours with AboutChile for Valpo-to-Santiago and (on a later date) Santiago-to-Valpo, they asked if they could add others (up to a max of 6) to our tours, and we said yes. However, in fact they did not enlist any others to go with us, so our tours with them were private, for the two of us. It may not be a good bet to assume that an operator with whom you book will arrange for others to join you and share the cost. Better to find others yourself via the roll call.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Taking my first cruise in South America. It's my first time in Chile, so I'd like to get a transfer from Santiago (hotel, I'm staying an extra day in Santiago) to Valparaiso that includes a tour of the city and/or wineries in the area.

I had found one at TURISTIK, but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. I was going to be about 79 $US for the trip, which seemed like a great price.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative transfer that includes a tour of Vaparaiso and/or wineries in the area?

Thank you,

Christian

We used Christian the Van Man on our two trips also and I highly recommend him and! He picked us up at the airport, took us to our hotel and then toured the city that afternoon. Picked us up the next morning and toured the wine country, had a nice lunch in Vina Del Mar and on to the port! :)

Hi, Christian,

Peter, who has posted on one of our cruise threads, is arranging a few shore excursions, including a transfer tour from Santiago to the ship, and I think it includes a city tour and a few scenic stops on the way to Valparaiso. Vina del Mar, I hope! Don't think it includes any wine stops as we plan to be at the ship by 1 p.m. I think it's $99 (???). He and his wife are away for a few weeks, but I can send you details if you write to me at kits59@yahoo.com.

Marie (in Vancouver)

Hi again, Christian,

Peter's posts are on the 'rollcalls' thread for our cruise. Here's a copy of his latest post (and the transfer tour is $65, not $99!):

Hi all,

I have details now for three of the tours I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Briefly they are:

Transfer to the ship from Santiago and a tour of Valparaiso. Includes pickup from our hotels in Santiago. We will be at the ship around 1:00 pm for lunch. The cost is $65.00 pp for 8 persons or more. Higher if less than 8, but in January 2013 there were 24 persons on that tour because it's a nice way to get to the ship.

Santiago city tour and High Andes. This is an 8-hour tour with a cost of $70.00 pp for 8 or more. Again, a higher cost if less than 8 persons. One of the people on that tour in January sent me photos of this trip and it looked great, especially in the Andes.

Those two tours are run by Al Ramirez at http://www.AlRamirez.cl or http://www.tourguideschile.com. Al has been extremely helpful in arranging the tours and has a good reputation.

Puerto Montt tour. This is a 6-7 hour tour and includes all entrance fees and lunch with wine etc. Cost is $99.00 pp. There may be a reduction if enough people are interested, but don't hold me to that! Again, an excellent response from the January crowd for this tour. Run by http://www.gvtours.com (Gail Stein and Annie Yeiter).

I should mention that in South America most tour operators need payment in new or nearly new bills. They can't accept old, ripped, stained, or written-on bills. Apparently their banks won't accept imperfect bills. Payment is at the end of the tours, of course. Start collecting new bills!

I contacted Patrick Watts in the Falklands regarding his penguin tours, but his tour is full. I am trying to contact other tour operators but without success. If I do get a response I will post again. I wish the ship's tours here were a little less expensive.

If you want more details or would like to add your names to any of the tours, contact me directly at peter.micropress@gmail.com.

Peter

(From Marie - Remember that he's away on holidays for a couple or more weeks starting Aug. 9!)

Thank you for that information, Marie- VERY helpful! I'll definitely look into them.

Do you happen to have the link to the roll call for our cruise? I was having difficulty finding it.

Thanks again!

It's as hard to find as this thread. You have to get into the board for Golden Princess on January 18, then click on Community, and you should see 'Rollcalls'. Let me know if this works or not. And thanks for your inquiry as it might help other on this thread. M.