Need Help Choosing Ship!

Sandybeach16

I would appreciate any advice from experienced HAL cruisers on the following issues: I am travelling during the December holiday with my 11 year old son. We have cruised on RCI and Princess and enjoyed both but would also enjoy something more traditional. I would like to know which ship has the best facilities for kids, in paricular, video games and movies (for free). I know he will want to have an hour or so each day on his own for that purpose. I am trying to choose between the Maasdam, Noordam and either the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. We love classical music and afternoon tea and dancing so if you could suggest the best ship for us on that basis as well it would be helpful.

I would appreciate any advice from experienced HAL cruisers on the following issues: I am travelling during the December holiday with my 11 year old son. We have cruised on RCI and Princess and enjoyed both but would also enjoy something more traditional. I would like to know which ship has the best facilities for kids, in paricular, video games and movies (for free). I know he will want to have an hour or so each day on his own for that purpose. I am trying to choose between the Maasdam, Noordam and either the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. We love classical music and afternoon tea and dancing so if you could suggest the best ship for us on that basis as well it would be helpful.

I have been on the Noordam and the Maasdam during the holiday's. I have also been on the Eurodam but not during the holiday's. If I were taking my 12 year old niece, I would rule out the Maasdam. Maasdam is a very lovely ship but I think a youngster would get bored very easily. The Noordam on Christmas morning was beautiful. All the children were with Santa and fake snow was falling and carols were being sung. The Maasdam is lovely as well on Christmas morning but not as much as the Noordam. If it is a 7 night cruise there will be plenty to entertain a 12 year old. Whichever you decide, I wish you a great cruise and happy holiday!

Honestly, the HAL kids club should be excellent on all of those ships, so I would base it on which itinerary you like best. I believe all rooms now have a DVD player in them, i'm not sure about the clubs with games and such, they probably have Wii's at least. Normally, you find a low volume of kids to councilors on-board, but if you are traveling during the holidays, that number may be skewed much higher.

Thanks Hal Lover and Syran. I was leaning in favour of the Noordam so I appreciate the vote in its favour. Follow up question: can we bring our own DVDs for the room? How does one get DVDs on the ship? Do they charge for this? Are there movies on a larger screen shown daily on any of these ships? Other than the new specialty restaurants to try, is there anything significantly different for kids on the Eurodam or Niuew Amsterdam?

Thanks Hal Lover and Syran. I was leaning in favour of the Noordam so I appreciate the vote in its favour. Follow up question: can we bring our own DVDs for the room? How does one get DVDs on the ship? Do they charge for this? Are there movies on a larger screen shown daily on any of these ships? Other than the new specialty restaurants to try, is there anything significantly different for kids on the Eurodam or Niuew Amsterdam?

There should be a booklet in the stateroom that has the listing of available DVD's. You would order from the Front Desk. There is no charge for this. There are also movies shown multiple times during the day.

You certainly can bring your own DVD's. They will however have to go through the xray machines with all of your stuff. Should not be a problem at all. To my knowledge there is no larger screen to watch your own DVD's on. We have gotten a DVD or two and sorry, I can't remember if they charged us or not. I really don't know if Club HAL has a tv there or not.

X-rays shouldn't cause any issues with DVDs. Only question (which I will know in a few weeks) is what region are the DVD players coded to. DVD rentals are free iirc, I think you can rent more at a time in a suite over a regular room. They normally show late-run movies in during the day and at night. Typically while they are in-between Theater & DVD runs, but sometimes after they come on DVD already, normally a few on the TV, and then one in the Queens Lounge or somewhere like that on a larger screen with Free popcorn.

X-rays shouldn't cause any issues with DVDs. Only question (which I will know in a few weeks) is what region are the DVD players coded to. DVD rentals are free iirc, I think you can rent more at a time in a suite over a regular room. They normally show late-run movies in during the day and at night. Typically while they are in-between Theater & DVD runs, but sometimes after they come on DVD already, normally a few on the TV, and then one in the Queens Lounge or somewhere like that on a larger screen with Free popcorn.

The US DVDs run fine on the players on all HAL ships. Forget which region it is, but I bring mine from home in SC and they work fine.

The US DVDs run fine on the players on all HAL ships. Forget which region it is, but I bring mine from home in SC and they work fine.

Canada and the US are both region 1 in the DVD region code. Any DVD from home (Toronto) should work without a problem

I fully confess I lean towards the smaller ships - but have sailed the larger ones too (ok, it's HAL - they are NOT that big).;)

I don't travel with young ones - my DS who did - one a teenager and one approaching was thrilled with club hal on the Eurodam. Her one daughter had an absolute blast. The other daughter liked the teen club but met a friend and those two girls just 'hung out' for the cruise.

Both had a great time. My understanding (and was my DS was told and saw) is that if there are a lot young people on board they bring on more staff.

Suffice it to say she was BLOWN away and very pleased. She had to drag her daughter out of Club HAL.:eek:

HAL"s programs for young people (I refuse to call them billy goats - aka kids) is wonderful and I honestly think one of the best kept secrets of the line:):)

Thank you everyone! The wrinkle tonight is that my parents are now thinking of joining us, but if they do, the Zuiderdam is the only ship that will work for them in terms of date and itinerary. I am going to try to sort this out tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out...

Me again: My parents will be joining us (81 and 75) and it turns out we are not restricted by dates anymore to the Zuiderdam. They would like a cruise in the 10-14 day range and do not want to return to Ft. Lauderdale in the middle, which rules out the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. So I am left with the Noordam, Maasdam and am now also looking at the Amsterdam. I have your feedback on the Noordam and Maasdam and am still leaning in favour of the Noordam, but I am wondering if you have any advice with respect to the Amsterdam? We are looking for one ocean view cabin for my parents and the least expensive inside cabin for my son and me. I read that the least expensive Vista class inside rooms be signficantly smaller than those on the Amsterdam, so that could be a factor, but I am wondering if there are also any siginificant differences between the ships in terms of facilitities or level of service.

I've been on both the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam during New Year's cruises and there were a considerable number of children on those ships that all looked like they had a lot to do. These are the newest ships in the fleet and the largest.

We are looking for one ocean view cabin for my parents and the least expensive inside cabin for my son and me. I read that the least expensive Vista class inside rooms be signficantly smaller than those on the Amsterdam, so that could be a factor, but I am wondering if there are also any siginificant differences between the ships in terms of facilitities or level of service.

A general rule of thumb is that the cabins on Vista/Signature ships are smaller than the same category cabins on the S- & R-class ships. Therefore, you will usually find larger cabins on the Amsterdam.

However, for inside cabins, I would recommend you go up to the categories that are termed "large" inside, rather than "standard" inside. The "large" insides are quite generous, and are pretty much all the same---except for location (there are a few that are configured differently).

The Amsterdam is one of HAL's flagships, and looks it. She is a pretty ship, with most of the bells & whistles the Vista/Signature ships have.

I sailed her in September, and was quite pleased.

I wouldn't look at anything below Signature CLass ships (Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34280243&postcount=1

Hi again everyone: I have booked two cabins on the Noordam for the 27th of December!! So excited! There is a flash sale on ocean view cabins right now. The booking is being held until tomorrow at 6 p.m. Before we confirm, I would like to know what you think of ocean view Category E cabins on the Deck 1 - aft. Anything we need to know about this type of cabin/location?

Moderators: I posted this new question about cabins on the Noordam to a new thread because I was worried it would get lost at the bottom of this thread. I couldn't figure out how to delete the above post to avoid double-posting. Please help me out.

Archived