7.7 Earthquake - Tusnami Warning for BC, Alaska, WA, and HI

vickie_bernie

A tsunami warning has been issued for coastal British Columbia following a magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck near Haida Gwaii on Saturday night, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said no destructive tsunami was expected from the quake but the West Coast-Alaska Tsunami Warning Centre issued a warning for coastal sections of British Columbia and Alaska. To the south, the warning extended south to Washingon, Oregon and Northern California.

The quake was felt across a wide area of north-central B.C., including Prince Rupert, Sandspit and Kitimat, and was felt as far away as Quesnel, Houston and Kamloops. It was followed by multiple aftershocks as high as 5.8 in the following minutes.

There have been no reports of damage.

The quake was centred 198 kilometres south-southwest of Prince Rupert at a depth of 10 km, the USGS said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said there was the possibility of “widespread dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents.”

“A major earthquake occurred in the Haida Gwaii region (formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands). It was felt across much of north-central B.C., including Haida Gwaii, Prince Rupert, Quesnel and Houston. There have been no reports of damage at this time,” Natural Resources Canada said in a statement issued Saturday night.

Thanks for the heads-up Vickie - am going to turn on the TV and see if there are any updates! Hope the warning is just that a WARNING and everyone and their property remain safe and sound. They keep saying we have to prep for the big one . . . Gloria

Just this week I had a look at my earthquake emergency kit (wind up radio, wind up flashlights, etc).

In the Vancouver area .... didn't feel this one, but, friends and relatives that are closer to the epi centre felt it.

I am in Coquitlam and didn't feel anything but friends downtown felt it but they are in a highrise.

44cm wave was noted hitting Langara Island - out of the norm.

Haida Gwaii is a long ways away, and thankfully it is not hugely populated. No reports of injuries.

Thanks for the heads-up Vickie - am going to turn on the TV and see if there are any updates! Hope the warning is just that a WARNING and everyone and their property remain safe and sound. They keep saying we have to prep for the big one . . . Gloria

watching CBC

Sitka has just lifted their warning

Yes, I heard... I hope everyone aboard is safe... I understand that in a tsunami/earthquake situation, the safest place to be is on a ship!

I hope everyone is ok. Between this and Sandy... :(

We, in Southern California, are very watchful. There are many of us who think we are overdue for an earthquake... They have been happening all around us.... but we have escaped, so far.

Vickie, I had booked the 3-day LA to Vancouver, but my husband is making me cancel it... I was hoping to have lunch or drinks before our flight.... Maybe we will meet one of these days.

Can't wait for your next cruise! If we are lucky, we may be able to translate the Mexico cruise into a Hawaii one... Just waiting on the State of California!

Yes, I heard... I hope everyone aboard is safe... I understand that in a tsunami/earthquake situation, the safest place to be is on a ship!

I hope everyone is ok. Between this and Sandy... :(

We, in Southern California, are very watchful. There are many of us who think we are overdue for an earthquake... They have been happening all around us.... but we have escaped, so far.

Vickie, I had booked the 3-day LA to Vancouver, but my husband is making me cancel it... I was hoping to have lunch or drinks before our flight.... Maybe we will meet one of these days.

Can't wait for your next cruise! If we are lucky, we may be able to translate the Mexico cruise into a Hawaii one... Just waiting on the State of California!

that would of been fun to meet up.

We often head to LA, will let you know.

that would of been fun to meet up.

We often head to LA, will let you know.

Please do! My email address is ninawilliams2010 at gmail.com.

What is so funny is that I mentioned earthquakes for our region yesterday and, lo and behold, we had one this morning. I had to argue with my husband who did not feel it...

It wound up being a very small one... 3.9, but the epicenter is located about 2 miles from our home.

Anyhoo... I will be following your adventures. Please make sure to have a martini for me!

You folks who live in earthquake zones are hearty souls. They scare the bejeebers out of me. Moving to the west coast was never an option for us...because of me. Hope this one resolves with no major damage or loss of life.

Thanks! This one was a small one... This should not cause any damage thankfully.

I am looking forward to your next cruises as well! When are you going next and where?

Happy and safe cruising to all.

Archived