Review- PG 7 Night Society Islands Oct 2012

Familygoboston

So now we get the reward..the ride down this 600 foot mountain! And it starts to pour, which of course make the roads slick, the brakes slick and did I mention we are supposed to go down this 600 foot mountain? Well, we decided that we should stop into the Agricultural School, which is about 1/2 way on the road from #1 to #2 on the map. This part of the school has a public area where they run tours and they also have a fruit smoothy bar and several covered picnic tables. So we decide to tuck the bikes under an overhang at the school and get ourselves something to drink and wait out the shower.

After the rain lets up we continue down the hill back to the main ring road. Our plan was to take the road around the back of Mt Rotui and end up in Cook Bay, but when we get to the turn off, we see the road is dirt, well, it was dirt before the rain shower, now it is mud. We decide to retrace our path back to #2 on the paved road, rather than chance a dirt road where we don't know how the conditions will be.

(more views along our ride)

146945951.jpg

Once back on the main ring road, we head toward # 6 on the map, knowing that we will pass a public beach (noted by the umbrella on the map between #2 and #6). We figure this will be a good place for a picnic! We stop at a little shop along the way and get some nuts and cracker and drinks and the public beach turns out to be a pretty little place with picnic tables a beautiful beach with a large lawn area and of course a view of the PG!

(our picnic)

146945955.jpg

146945952.jpg

(ship is like the moon)

146945954.jpg

With a little less than an hour left after our picnic and our swim at the beach, we saddle up for the ride back to the PG, passing a few more sights along the way.

(local shop)

146945956.jpg

(fruit vendor)

146945957.jpg

(fishermans gear)

146945958.jpg

When we return to the parking lot at the pier, the white van (the one with the bike/scooter guy) arrives within a few minutes and we return the bikes to him.

After returning on the tender we have a nap and clean up for dinner and the pre dinner lectures.

Ordinarily, the lectures would be spread across both Moorea days, but instead they were held sequentially at 5 PM and then 6 PM

First, Dr Michael Poole, discussing the whales and dolphins of Moorea. Mark is a captivating teacher and had incredible slides of his work and information about the animals in this area. His lecture was bilingual, but even this he does in a way that does not leave either listener feeling bored! During his talk he cautions us about the possibilities of weather affecting our excursion the next day.

(Dr Poole)

146945989.jpg

Then Mark Eddows discussed the Tahitian culture at the time of Captain Cooks arrival. This was illustrated by slides of water color paintings done during the time of Cook, on which he pointed out different cultural norms. This was more illustrative (like the photos of their time!) than looking at slides of fusty old artifacts would have been. The illustrations were an excellent way to bring the lives of the Polynesians of the time, well, to life. He also discussed his current work and since we had seen him at the dig earlier, we had a good sense of what was going on and where.

(Mark Eddows)

146945990.jpg

We found both of these men and their work fascinating. We were sorry to have to miss an excursion with one (and eventually both) and felt that they were excellent speakers who greatly enhanced our cruise. In the end, even though we were not able to take the tours, even our interactions with these men made our experience in FP more enriched! And of course we now have our second excuse to cruise PG again!!;)

After 2 very interesting hours, we made our way to the festive "Tahitian" night dinner. All the restaurants offer the same fixed menu.

On the way into L'Etoile, several mamas and dancers from the Moorean group "Te Mau Mamma No Faaatoai To'a" were making beautiful flower leis and heis and wrist corsages. You could also make your own, and one of the mamas gave me a needle and thread and I started making a lei from the pile of beautifully scented flowers piled on the floor and in baskets. About 15 minutes later I had made a beautiful lei and the mama helped me tie it off and I wore it to dinner.

(mamas making leis)

146945964.jpg

146945963.jpg

(me making my lei- and a better look at my anniversary earrings)

146945966.jpg

(one of the dancers working on heis)

146945967.jpg

Everyone dressed in their best " Tahitian" style dress, gents in colorful Hawaiian style shirts or Tommy Bahama style silk shirts, ladies in colorful sundresses from home or in a pareo that they have learned to tie on board this week. We choose to sit with others and everyone at our table of 8 is someone we have at least chatted with before, it's a very convivial group with only about 300 people onboard. We've met so many nice people and had a wonderful time.

(us a dinner, DH is still, but less, shocked at being married 25 years and a day)

146945969.jpg

Dinner was terrific, very festive and lots of Polynesian specialties, and of course Lobster! The same menu is offered in all the dining venues, but we chose L'Etoile for the very festive atmosphere there.

(menu- this is a keepsake menu you can take home)

147065109.jpg

(dinner- lobster)

146945970.jpg

(Chocolate Fondant desert)

146945971.jpg

After dinner, the Te Mau Mamma No Faaatoai To'a group performed traditional Polynesian dances. I have to say that my expectations were low for shows onboard. Most mention them in reviews in passing and it seemed as if I could expect them to be just " something going on", in fact I found them to be a highlight!

The local dance troupes were spectacular and as Mark Eddows pointed out the young people are embracing their Polynesian culture after decades of their parents and grandparents being told to give up the old ways for Christianity. While most people on Moorea are Christians today, the young are area also rediscovering some of the old culture, especially around the dance, tattoos, chants and history. This is lovely to see and their energy and enthusiasm is infectious! Sadly, DH did not bring his camera to the show, so I don't have any photos to share.

After the show we went back to the cabin to find the dreaded debarkation instructions, though even here it's done better than other ships- discreetly tucked into an envelope where you can ignore it until you get over the horror!:eek:

(up next...Moorea day 2)

Edited by Familygoboston

I don't know we never used it! But we never saw a staff person in there. But There might have been the first day. The instructions are pretty clear I've reposted the photo of them. I think if you follow the steps, it's pretty simple! And Im sure if you have an issue you could stop at reception to get some advice.

[jpg]http://www.pbase.com/jklofft/image/146946116.jpg[/img]

146946116.jpg

Yes, I remember your question...I was the idiot who thought the internet cafe was there:rolleyes: But this spot is v quiet, the corridor on 5 by L'Etoile and the bars (and the internet cafe) is busier. But honestly, the whole place is so quiet anyway and I think you will be fine! Maybe if you were trying sleep right below the Tahitian dancers and drummers in Le Grand Salon, you might hear some noise, but again, for maybe 45 minutes at 9 at night...overall it's very peaceful!!

Don't be so hard on yourself. This review has been awesome and the pictures are so helpful as we have lots of time to wonder and plan. So Thank you!!!!

Day 9 Oct 12 Moorea

Moorea 2 Ia Orana

146946090.jpg

146946091.jpg

146946092.jpg

146946093.jpg

We were up early and had room service delivered. We were ready to go on our whale and dolphin excursion at 8:15, and tender at 8:30 over to the dock. Once there we meet Michael Poole and the rain is coming down in buckets, visibility is bad, he's willing to wait 1/2 hour to see if conditions improve, but this is not like the other rain showers we've had, it's clear this pattern is staying around for a while. After a half hour of question and answers, Michael calls off the tour and we tender back, to take a few ship photos for CC (our loss is your gain!;)) This is the down side to a short time in a place, things are scheduled so tight, and there is not time for bad weather.

There is name that tune in the piano bar with Dan and DH decides to participate. This one is TV theme songs.

OH, OH!

I grew up in a household with one 18 inch black and white TV until I was 18 YO, and we only got a color TV after that because my 16 YO brother bought one with his McDonalds money. We watched very little TV growing and did this crazy thing called reading...and even weirder...a book!

My DH on the other grew up with the TV on like most people use light bulbs; on if you are in the room, sometimes even when you are not. So I know that DH will know every single title to every single TV show theme Dan plays. And worse, since Dan is not making teams, he's on his own- and did I mention how competitive he is? He's a completely low key, mild mannered guy, until there is a contest- then watch out!

SO I know how this is going to go...I beg him to "let someone else guess one!" When that fails to work I beg Dan to play TV themes from before 1950 (well before he was born). This fails too, because, you know, reruns! :rolleyes:

Fortunately, the other 2 - 3 other couples playing think he's charming, or that it's funny or are just being polite.Fortunately, there are no prizes, just bragging rights, so we all leave laughing. (I, ruefully) Interesting that today we have no less than 3 giant TV's and we rarely watch them...so there is hope for a competitive TV theme song "Name that Tune" in about 20 years!!

We have lunch in La Verandah and then hung out on the pool deck from 1:30 - 3 PM. The sun would come out blazing hot, but then the clouds and high winds would blow in again. The low clouds are gone and the peaks of the mountains are all in plain view and looking great!

But most afternoon excursions were canceled due to how quickly the conditions change from hour to hour. The divers said things were pretty rough on their morning dive, and friends on the jet ski tour were pulled in shortly after starting due to the rain and complete lack of visibility. We also hear the afternoon whale and dolphin watching with Michael Poole is cancelled, and while I'm sad for those folks, I feel like I'd be doubly disappointed if the afternoon group went and saw sights and we just missed it by the time of day we booked.

(View of Moorea)

146945962.jpg

146945991.jpg

146945993.jpg

We head back from the pool at 3 PM to pack, and by 4 PM we've got it pretty well sorted. We've cruised a lot and have a very keen sense of what's needed on debarkation day and how to sort it all for putting luggage in the hall and leaving stuff in the carry on. (and not forgetting to leave out clothes for debarkation day, so you don't have to get off the ship in your pjs!)

We gift shopped carefully, trinkets and pareos for the girls and even the one nice piece of jewelry I bought, I leave the big fancy jewelry box it came in behind, and just carry the earrings home. Although it looks elegant in the box, I know it's bulky to take home thousands of miles, where I will most likely just recycle it anyway!

I do take every piece of printed matter I get my hands on, so I can scan them for all of you...if you have a question about the price of laundry for ladies workout clothing, or what spa specials are offered, I probably have a piece of ephemera with it here somewhere!

The early packing gives us plenty of time to enjoy the sail from Moorea to Tahiti on our balcony. Which we do, and because we are on the starboard side, we have a view of Moorea the whole way. The ship leaves Moorea at 4:45 PM, this is a bit early, but since most afternoon excursions were canceled everyone is already on board. We enjoy the sail taking photos of the sunset and just soaking up our last day on the cruise.

Sailaway Photos

(the Hilton)

146945994.jpg

146945995.jpg

146945996.jpg

146945997.jpg

(our picnic beach from the ship)

146945998.jpg

(The reef)

146945999.jpg

A couple more photos of the sunset during the sail to Tahiti:

(Sunset)

146946000.jpg

146946001.jpg

After watching the docking proceedings in Tahiti (the gang way is again set up on the starboard side) we clean up and dress for dinner.

Edited by Familygoboston

We dine in the L'Etoile again, this time meeting a few new people. After dinner there is another Tahitian dance show, this time with O Tahiti E.

(Evening entertainment:O Tahiti E)

146946002.jpg

146946003.jpg

146946004.jpg

146946005.jpg

146946006.jpg

After the show we return to our room to put our evening clothes into our bags and get them into the hallway before 11:30 PM.

(coming up tomorrow...the sad part...no wait! It wasn't sad...it was really a great day!)

Just want to say how much I'm enjoying your review and photos. My mouth has been watering from the menus that you posted as well. Thanks so much for the detailed information.

Just over 2 weeks until we board. I can't wait. :D

How big is your suitcase? Will we fit?;)

Thanks! I think you will have an incredible time! Hope you give us your take when you get back!

I did post all the menus ( that I have) in the thread...Recent Menus by Emdee .

I will post the rest of the week at the end of this thread too, but unfortunately, they were not dated and since I didn't eat at L'Etoile 2 nights to know what was on them, I can't tell which day each was offered!:confused: But it's safe to say I never had a bad meal, not even just a blah meal and my favorite part of the meal- dessert, :o was the part I thought they do best!

Maybe you can post the "missing" menu when you get back!

Edited by Familygoboston

I just ordered a new lightweight suitcase for myself today....guess I should have ordered the bigger one lol. ;)

For some reason, some of my memories from our PG trip a couple of years ago are vague....may have been one too many glass of champagne. :o I do remember the service being incredible. I also remember the incredible panna cotta at lunch one day. I had eaten the last one at the buffet and then asked if there was another because it was so good. After about 5 minutes, two more were brought to the table and put in front of me. It was still warm so I'm sure they had whipped up some for me during that short wait. I also fell in love with the lamb chops at breakfast. My nickname towards the end of that cruise and months afterwards was "lambchop". Needless to say I've been hitting the gym on a regular basis for the past couple of months just in preparation of this trip.

I don't recall a lot of the entertainment but I think it was because we ate dinner late each night....or maybe the bottomless glass of wine at dinner.

Since we have some sea days, I'll try to use some of that time to sketch out a report that I'll be able to post on my return.

Shucks!:(

I was definitely a victim of the bottomless glass of wine! I'm not much of a drinker, but I would joke with our onboard friends that I only had one glass of wine with dinner:p

I always write down notes about what we do each day, because I have such a good time that I forget! This trip was also relaxing and romantic, it was so nice...sigh, I'm jealous!;)

Edited by Familygoboston

Great report and pictures. Yours is definitely the definitive report on the cruise.

Will wait patiently for your report of your future Marquesas/Tuamotu cruise. I definitely see it in your cards - probably with your kids. Got to show them FP.

Day 10 Oct 13 Debarkation Day Papeete, Tahiti

Ia Orana Tahiti and other paperwork

146946094.jpg

146946095.jpg

146946096.jpg

146946097.jpg

146946098.jpg

What I had expected to be a let down turned out to be a wonderful last day in French Polynesia, thanks to the seamless and dignified way PG runs debarkation.

First, we didn't need to be out of our rooms till 9:30 AM, so we could enjoy a more leisurely morning. We woke up at a reasonable hour, dressed and went to L'Etoile for breakfast. After breakfast we brought our hand luggage to the Grand Salon, where a staff member tagged it and added it to the other hand luggage.

Then we were able to go into Papeete unencumbered, which we did from 9:30-11 AM. We first stopped at the large park in the center of town where some kind of triathlon seemed to be going on. We were fascinated by the event and the locals who were there to watch.

Bikers came in on mountain bikes, then grabbed a partner and a paddle in the holding area and ran down to the waterfront where they paddled a course and ran back to the finish, this time with 3 men or women. We couldn't quite figure it out, but it was fun to be immersed in an event with the locals. It appeared to sponsored by the police and fire officers, and there were activities for the kids where they could try the fire hoses and such. We much preferred watching this to shopping!

(PG at the pier)

146946044.jpg

(this circle is right at the end of the pier...go right to find the markets)

146946027.jpg

(on your right, just on the waterfront, you will see the Tourism Office)

146946042.jpg

(If you want to rent a car in Papeete- Avis is located at the end of Rue Gauguin, about 1/2 mile walk from the ship)

146946032.jpg

(triathalon)

146946029.jpg

(firefighter activities)

146946028.jpg

But we did eventually make it to the market. I bought another pareo, as there was a much bigger selection here. Also, the market has both crafts for tourists and a variety of food and clothing items for locals. So in addition to picking up a few more trinkets, we were able to see a slice of life. I did buy some Tiare oil - this is the oil of the gardenia, which so many of the leis are made of and I now have a scent memory of FP when I smell Tiare.

There is a large fine arts vendor upstairs if you are looking for more intricate carvings or ukuleles or other art. Downstairs the food, vanilla, straw and flower vendors are all set up together in sections. Had I had room in my luggage, I would have bought a large rigid palm market basket to carry things at the farmers market.

(market)

146946040.jpg

146946039.jpg

(Fish)

146946033.jpg

(market- we picked up food here to take to IC rather than buy dinner there)

146946034.jpg

146946035.jpg

146946037.jpg

(flower market)

146946038.jpg

(straw market)

146946036.jpg

After shopping, we took a few photos of the city of Papeete and returned to the ship.

(and we spot out teeny weeny bags, standing all by themselves! We were hoping against hope, that this means we had won some kind of sweepstakes to cruise the next week, and maybe they'd been singled out to go back on board...but no such luck:()

146946045.jpg

A nice buffet lunch was offered in L'Etoile and then we made our way to the Grande Salon to listen for our group number. This was pretty funny, because they kept calling groups till there were exactly 7 of us left; ourselves, another couple, and a young family with the only child onboard (an adorable and well behaved 3 YO who charmed and was entertained by all the "grandmas and grandpas" on the ship, his favorite game was chasing Verity around poles on the ship- she was so incredibly attentive to him, it was sweet to see!) The funny thing is when we got to the bus, the prior 3 or 4 groups called were already on it, so I guess the groups were called in that order mainly to make sure that the luggage got on the luggage trailer in the correct order. We were the first ones off the bus because the IC was the closest to the port.

Edited by Familygoboston

TIPS: Something to consider when choosing whether to upgrade day rooms:

We thought the pre and post nights or day rooms at IC had some advantages. Of course we didn't stay at the other places, which may have been perfectly fine, but this was our experience.

-closest to airport, we were the first stop after our flight in and it took less than 5 minutes to transfer from the airport

-closest to the port so we arrived to the ship and from the ship, last on the bus and first off the bus (shortest bus ride)

-this also meant we were last to depart the ship, and had more time to enjoy the ship till the last moment

-by upgrading to IC as our post cruise day room, we already "knew" the resort and didn't need to learn a new place

-we were not required to vacate our dayroom until it was time to transfer at 9 PM. Whether this is a regular policy or just a lucky break I don't know, but I heard that folks at the Radisson had to check out at 6 or 7 PM.

-the only down side was that the Tahiti Nui rep at IC was not available and had not left any information about what time to check out or catch our bus. We needed to ask at the front desk and hope they had the right information based on their experience rather than getting the info from TN who was actually running the transfer.

Once at the IC, we used the transfer rooms (ask for the key at the front desk) to change into our bathing suits and found some nice loungers at our favorite pool- the infinity pool near the panoramic rooms. We relaxed in the pool chatting with other people waiting to transfer to the cruise. Others from our cruise were doing the same thing- giving hints, explaining what they enjoyed on board. After the lucky people just starting their cruise left for their transfer, the rest of us from our cruise relaxed in the pool, sharing drinks and taking photos of each other and the sunset.

(View of Moorea from IC)

146946049.jpg

146946051.jpg

146946052.jpg

146946053.jpg

146946054.jpg

146946055.jpg

The big excitement at the hotel today is the Mr Tahiti event being planned for the evening. We learn this is "pageant" and the winner will make his way onto France to compete for Mr France. One needs tickets to get into the event, which is televised and shown on a big screen that we can see from the lobby while waiting for our transfer bus. This is event was hysterical...with these guys parading around to booming hip hop music, a panel of local business ladies to judge (and of course Miss Tahiti!), and a restaurant full of young ladies with big hair, tight dresses in high heels, screeching their appreciation, full throat. It was like Tahiti Idol!! We checked the web later to see if we could figure out who was "crowned", but best we can tell, it wasn't one the guys in our photo!

(Mr Tahiti)

146946127.jpg

146946047.jpg

Our transfer was at 9 PM, there were TN reps to assist us and we arrived at the airport before 9:12 PM, and waited in line for passport control, then again to check bags, then again for security. You really do need the better part of 1 hour - 90 minutes to negotiate all of that.

Once past security, I was surprised at how nice the lounge was. Everyone complains about this airport, and it is open to the outdoors and has no AC, so I can see if it's hot how it could be uncomfortable, but the lounge had many cozy couch groupings and ceiling fans, and was more comfortable than the typical plastic chairs in most airports. There was only one small food kiosk, and a pretty long line for refreshments. There are also a few duty free shops around the perimeter.

We lucked out during check in; the woman at the desk took pity on my tall DH and assigned us the 2 bulkhead exit row seats. This is a huge amount of room and feels so much more "private" for sleeping since no one is in front of you at all. The downside is it is cold by the door. Luckily I had a sweater, wool socks and my pashmina, so I was comfortable. I took a melatonin and slept so well that I had to ask my DH if they ever served dinner. Usually, I am so bothered by the dinner and beverage service (Usually all I hear is those dang soda cans opening all night! Psht, Psht, Psht!) but this time I slept very soundly until about 1 and 1/2 hours until we landed in LA.

Upon landing in LA at 10 AM, we took the free shuttle to the Hilton LAX (blue shuttle) and checked into our day room. We met a young fellow on the shuttle who was wearing a Patriots shirt so we asked if he thought the game might be on the TV at the Hilton. He told us he travels here frequently and always walks one block over to the Marriott where there is a Champions sports bar and they will put any game on the TV you want.

If you have a long lay over in LA- I would recommend the Hilton, unlike other hotels, you can pre book it as a day room right online, there is a free shuttle, the room was perfectly adequate and at the very end of the hallway, so very quiet for day sleeping, and we were offered a flexible checkout.

So we napped for a about an hour, cleaned up (as much as you need to for a sports bar) and headed over. We found our new friend there already waiting for the game to start. He waved us over and we shared a table and bought him his beer and dinner because he had forgotten his ipad on his plane and with the Pats loss- he was already having a bad day!

Interestingly he works for Homeland Security (we knew better than to ask what he does) but he couldn't get any better help with his ipad than calling and leaving a message on the airline 800 number! Good to know we ordinary folks are not the only one getting crummy service from the airlines! I teased him that he should have flashed a badge and just barged right back onto the plane;-) Luckily, he had, as many people do, the ability to lock the device and wipe it remotely if it's lost, and it was a personal item, not government property!

Our American flight to Boston left at 10:40, but one runway was shut so it took us 30 minutes to take off. (aren't you just sick and tired just reading this stuff- It's almost worse than the actual flying! I always feel this way when I see people watching "Amazing Race"- I don't like to spend time in airports- why would I watch people in line at the airline?? But then I get sucked in by all the cool places they go!)

Our seats were exit row seats, but were hard and had a terrible recline, I literally felt like I was sleeping upright in a kitchen chair. The only thing that prevents this kind of travel from being called torture is the klieg light and a big snarling guy with a gun. Anyway, we made it home and because we could carry on our bags to AA, we were able to roll straight to our car and go home to our own beds with out the bleary wait at baggage claim in Logan (which is among the worst for luggage speed!)

So, I cannot end this boring section with a story about stumbling out of an airport bleary eyed...so I will leave you with some more photos of our last beautiful sunset in Tahiti!

Is this desire to go back that I have the FP flu??

146946060.jpg

146946057.jpg

146946058.jpg

146946056.jpg

(not quite done...I'll post the menus and a final "review" of what we thought of our cruise. I'll bet you can guess we liked it;))