like to hear from Norweigian Gem passengers RE: being at sea during Sandy

JAYRAY1259

I would like to hear passengers experiences while onboard the Gem during the week that Hurricaine Sandy was causing major problems in the Atlantic. One passenger was talking to one of the news stations last night during the storm via phone. She talked of huge waves, but felt all was well on the ship. It would be great to hear more comprehensive reports on how the crew reacted and how the ship handled during a rather unique experience. Thanks!

I would like to hear passengers experiences while onboard the Gem during the week that Hurricaine Sandy was causing major problems in the Atlantic. One passenger was talking to one of the news stations last night during the storm via phone. She talked of huge waves, but felt all was well on the ship. It would be great to hear more comprehensive reports on how the crew reacted and how the ship handled during a rather unique experience. Thanks!

I'm sure we will when the cruise finally disembarks passengers.

My husband & I were on that trip. We left St Thomas on Thursday and were at sea until Wednesday when we docked in Boston.

Two nights it was like trying to sleep on a roller coaster. They shut down the elevators (they kept getting stuck) and we dealt with 15 - 40 ft waves during Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. It was interesting to see nature like that. Programs during the continued and they tried their best to keep everyone happy. They closed the upper decks (above the pool area) for 3 days and deck 7 promenade as well since it was dangerous to be out by the railings.

All in all it wasn't bad. They closed some of the pay restaurants to accommodate the passengers since the elevators weren't working and some inpaired people couldn't get down the stairs and there were those that just wanted to stay in the middle of the ship (being in the Grand Pacific was hard with the movement at times). I did see every morning people in the Atrium who it seemed never moved from those chairs.

I did find out that Bonine really works! My husband and I had no problem with sea sickness. A lot of other people didn't fare as well. On our last day at sea (Tuesday) the 11am bingo had a lot of sick people (it was in the Spinnaker), at the 4:30 bingo it wasn't as bad.

I never felt that we were in danger.

Thank you very much. That was most interesting.

I did see every morning people in the Atrium who it seemed never moved from those chairs.

In my experience, the atrium is ALWAYS full of the same people.

I swear two middle-aged couples I seen on the Star didn't even have a cabin. No matter what time I walked through the atrium, day or night, sea day or port day, rain or shine, day in and day out, they were there at the same table. They never even seemed to be talking among themselves either, nor were they drinking. They just sat there.

I didn't hear anyone say they wouldn't cruise again (but there will always be someone;)).

We have 2 other cruises booked for next year and one the following January (2014). I still like cruising, but I really don't like more than 2 sead days. The activites offered during the day aren't things I do so I usually work out & read on those days. That said, thankfully I had a lot of books on my Nook - I read 3 this trip!

What happened was a fluke. I refuse to let one thing that was a rare occurance change the way I live my life.

We weren't on the Gem, but were on a different line on a ship that crossed the Bering Sea in May, 2011. We spent almost 3 days in seas of 45'!! Many folks stayed in their cabins for duration, but we continued all activities and meals. And we are looking forward to our next cruise which will be on Sun thru Panama Canal.

I know it doesn't compare, but we were on the Majesty when we had to go back to Bermuda to rescue someone on a sailing vessel in 27' seas and arrived back a day late, so I have a small idea of what people went through. The ship only had one stabilizer and one of the engines was down.

There were a lot of barf bags used up on that trip, I can tell you!

We had our car in Charleston, but had friends who had to change flights to Houston, TX twice (as the arrival time changed from mid-day on Saturday to late Saturday to Sunday morning!). Had tickets to see the Police in Atlanta Saturday night, so I obviously missed that.

Archived