Q. Victoria Q3 Penthouse

hallsuk2

Whilst not new to Cunard and plenty of other cruises with differing cruise lines under our belt in December we are sailing on Q. Victoria’s Xmas and New Year Voyage to Madeira and the Canaries.

This is to be our first experience of the “Grills” having held a booking for some time in a Princess Grill, P3 stateroom.

In midweek our agent contacted us to see if we could be tempted to upgrade to a Q3 Queen’s Grill Penthouse. There would be a cost involved.

On the premise that we might never get the call again and judging it worth the money we have taken them up on the offer.

Somebody once said “ This is not a rehearsal, you only pass this way once”

I have gleaned lots of knowledge regarding the merits etc between both Grills from the wealth of information on this forum. However can somebody with experience of the Queens Grill tell me a bit more about the in room bar set up. How flexible is the content? Is it replaced as you go?

Officially it is 2 litre bottles from a list of standard spirits, nothing exotic but there may be some flexibility depending on your butler. Beers and mixers are replaced FOC as you use them.

As you may have read, the Q3 is essentially a Q4 but situated nearer to the lifts, they are fabulous cabins and far larger than a PG. They are not however penthouse or suites as Cunard insist on calling them, but if the price is right go for it as you will not be dissapointed.

On our recent QV cruise in QG we met another couple that had been offered a Q7>Q2 upgrade for a small consideration by their TA, they deemed it worth every penny.

Whilst not new to Cunard and plenty of other cruises with differing cruise lines under our belt in December we are sailing on Q. Victoria’s Xmas and New Year Voyage to Madeira and the Canaries.

This is to be our first experience of the “Grills” having held a booking for some time in a Princess Grill, P3 stateroom.

In midweek our agent contacted us to see if we could be tempted to upgrade to a Q3 Queen’s Grill Penthouse. There would be a cost involved.

On the premise that we might never get the call again and judging it worth the money we have taken them up on the offer.

Somebody once said “ This is not a rehearsal, you only pass this way once”

I have gleaned lots of knowledge regarding the merits etc between both Grills from the wealth of information on this forum. However can somebody with experience of the Queens Grill tell me a bit more about the in room bar set up. How flexible is the content? Is it replaced as you go?

First off, what's the upcharge? Cunard converted quite a few Q-5 suites to penthouse suites some time ago. The rooms are pretty much the same. The location is a bit more favorable,however. As to the bar setup..Beer/Wine/Soft drinks are replenished as needed. The more expensive liqueursusually aren't. This can vary by your butler.we were able to get a finer brand of vodka, rather than what's on the list. I got Caviar daily, while some folks we know with a different butler didn't. To quote from "Chicago" "Take good care of Mamma, and Mamma will take good care of you!" Our butler, Lily(QM2) was top drawer. We took good care of her at the voyage end. We find that if you are very polite to your butler, they can do wonders. Some pax just look at them as mere servants. That attitude won't get you far. As to the food..well, outstanding! Don't be shy about going off menu. There are standard items you need to "order by lunch at the latest"(menu brochure)but feel free to order something you don't see..Sweet breads/Foi Gras etc. They have many items not on the menu. Here, however you'll need to give a full day's notice. Just see the Maitre D for your choice. Have a ball & let us all know how it went.

Keith has pretty much nailed it with his advice.

I too would be interested in what the charge was. Our last cruise, we went from a Q7 Gty to a Q4 allocation then the phone rang and we had the option of a paid upgrade to a Q1. Like you, the deal was good and the opportunity one that wouldn't come up again so it was a no-brainer.

The Q3s are nice cabins and you get the advantage of tender priorities that you don't get with Q4 and below. They are midships by the lifts, so good for mal de mer if that's an issue.

Don't forget to make your request for table choice in QG. With a Q3, you should score a window if you want one, which is nice if the scenerey is good.

The Q3s are nice cabins and you get the advantage of tender priorities that you don't get with Q4 and below. They are midships by the lifts, so good for mal de mer if that's an issue.

No, Q4 upwards get tender priority, worked really well for us in Norway.

Hello,

and Thank You for the input. We look forward to the experience in a little over six weeks.

On our return I will post of our thoughts and musings of the voyage.

Could it be the start of something new and might we think this is the only way to travel,

Iain

We are booked on the QE for two weeks in early January. Given the fact we still have to be allocated a cabin number(Q7guarantee) and the cabins still available, I would also be interested in the charge offered for an upgrade, just so I'm prepared in the unlikely event they call......

We are booked on the QE for two weeks in early January. Given the fact we still have to be allocated a cabin number(Q7guarantee) and the cabins still available, I would also be interested in the charge offered for an upgrade, just so I'm prepared in the unlikely event they call......

If you track which cabins are still available you will see the remaining QGs disappear then reappear several times, apparently with no consistent pattern. Worry ye not!

From a flurry of correspondence here on the forum when several of us booked Q7 Gtys last year, I realised that probably the upgrade fairy is sitting with a load of cabin numbers on cards, deciding what to do and ocasionaly she knocks the lot of them on the floor so it needs a bit of a rethink. Every time they show up again, at least one has disappeared from the availables.

QE only has 4 Q7 cabins (one of which is accessible), but loads of Q4s, so your chance of scoring a free upgrade to that grade is quite good. Above that, chances are slimmer and you might get the phone call asking for money. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra to go Q4 to Q3 (pretty much just a better location), but I'd always be interested if the phone rang with a deal for a Q2 or Q1.

It is only an empirical feel with no hard and fast evidence, but chatting among a bunch of us who all did the Q7 Gty / free upgrade dance last time out I came to the conclusion that your best chance of getting the best cabin upgrade is to have booked in on line with all your insurance and contact details as soon as you get the chance. That way, everything is there for the fairy to consider your worthyness and wave her wand. If you tarry, you might only get what you paid for, which in itself is still pretty darn good for the money.

There are currently some outstanding Q7 deals on offer for early December too. My DW is waiting for a hospital op, otherwise I would have booked on line yesterday.

Good luck!

Archived