Cruise ship for sale!

So with all this tooing and frowing of thomson ships how credible will the new brochure be?

Somebody needs to clarify what is happening to Thomsons Cruises. I would be very unhappy to book with them at present:(

I'm guessing they'll bring out a new Thomson Cruises and Island Cruises brochure as both haven't been updated since April, which is unusually. Apart from IE cruises, I'd expect all Thomson Cruises to remain the same for 2013, and then see some changes in 2014. They definitely need to make some clarification next week regarding where the ships are actually going to be. It's wrong that people who are booked on IE are finding out through crew on board that their cruise will be changing, and not from Thomson themselves.

I'm guessing they'll bring out a new Thomson Cruises and Island Cruises brochure as both haven't been updated since April, which is unusually. Apart from IE cruises, I'd expect all Thomson Cruises to remain the same for 2013, and then see some changes in 2014. They definitely need to make some clarification next week regarding where the ships are actually going to be. It's wrong that people who are booked on IE are finding out through crew on board that their cruise will be changing, and not from Thomson themselves.

Yes I agree - it really does undermine passenger confidence. I've written before about the Thessaloniki and Skiathos itinerary which we booked when the brochure came out only to find they had both disappeared when the Sept brochure came out. My friend texted me to ask what had happened to our cruise! It was the first I knew! 3 out of 5 ports had changed in a one-week cruise - 60% change!!!!

Now I know that's different from booking one ship and getting another but it all smacks of the same thing. Can you book with confidence and expect to get what you signed up for? (I for one would be livid if I'd booked any of the other Thomson ships and was moved without a 'by your leave' to Majesty although I'd accept movement between the others - that's just personal choice).

But you book a ship as part of your cruise (you choose the one you like to travel on - it's your holiday - your choice) and it's wrong to change them unless for unavoidable reasons. I don't want to have a go at Thomson but in their interests as well as ours it is vital that they get the situation clarified for passengers so there is no confusion and worse still disappointment or sheer fury at having important aspects of your holiday changed after booking. It just leads to terrible public relation disasters and the loss of goodwill from customers.

I went to my local Thomsons today (booked up six months ago Island Escape 23 April and took out their insurance at the same time) to let them know that my husband had a sudden heart attack two days ago - had to be "shocked" and now has a stent in an artery but doctors are saying he should be able to do 99% of things he has always done. This came totally out of the blue and I needed advice about special extra insurance. It's been an awful two days for us both to say the least and of course we are so fortunate that he is ok, he was near hospital giving his friend a lift to work when it happened and got to A&E just as his heart stopped. Another half mile behind and it would have been....well I can't bear to think... I just can't thank the staff enough! I suppose I shouldn't be concerned about other things but I needed to get out and sort various things...bills, pick up a few things etc.

I tried to find out what might be happening regarding IE next year but as you say the people at Thomson are saying nothing and appeared puzzled and unaware of things. Can't believe they don't know anything.

If they change from the Dream for our itinerary next Oct I would be deverstated, poss would not want to go!

We've chosen the ship we want over the itinerary, if we had wanted another ship we would have chosen one so can see why anyone this happens to would be furious :mad:

Doubt it would happen to us as can't really see all this effecting the Dream but with that's happening at the moment I suppose nothings certain !!! :confused::confused:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I went to my local Thomsons today (booked up six months ago Island Escape 23 April and took out their insurance at the same time) to let them know that my husband had a sudden heart attack two days ago - had to be "shocked" and now has a stent in an artery but doctors are saying he should be able to do 99% of things he has always done. This came totally out of the blue and I needed advice about special extra insurance. It's been an awful two days for us both to say the least and of course we are so fortunate that he is ok, he was near hospital giving his friend a lift to work when it happened and got to A&E just as his heart stopped. Another half mile behind and it would have been....well I can't bear to think... I just can't thank the staff enough! I suppose I shouldn't be concerned about other things but I needed to get out and sort various things...bills, pick up a few things etc.

I tried to find out what might be happening regarding IE next year but as you say the people at Thomson are saying nothing and appeared puzzled and unaware of things. Can't believe they don't know anything.

Barnowl 1950, so sorry to hear of DH heart attack but pleased he received the appropriate treatment in time. My advice is to contact the insurers to advise them of DH medical treatment. Without updating medical problems your insurance could invalidate. Fingers crossed all continues well with DH :)

Yes I agree - it really does undermine passenger confidence. I've written before about the Thessaloniki and Skiathos itinerary which we booked when the brochure came out only to find they had both disappeared when the Sept brochure came out. My friend texted me to ask what had happened to our cruise! It was the first I knew! 3 out of 5 ports had changed in a one-week cruise - 60% change!!!!

Now I know that's different from booking one ship and getting another but it all smacks of the same thing. Can you book with confidence and expect to get what you signed up for? (I for one would be livid if I'd booked any of the other Thomson ships and was moved without a 'by your leave' to Majesty although I'd accept movement between the others - that's just personal choice).

But you book a ship as part of your cruise (you choose the one you like to travel on - it's your holiday - your choice) and it's wrong to change them unless for unavoidable reasons. I don't want to have a go at Thomson but in their interests as well as ours it is vital that they get the situation clarified for passengers so there is no confusion and worse still disappointment or sheer fury at having important aspects of your holiday changed after booking. It just leads to terrible public relation disasters and the loss of goodwill from customers.

We generally look at itinery first ship second,( We have fantastic cruises with Thomson until this year) but if we cant be sure a Thomson ship will sail their itinery as quoted in the brochure... there are plenty more fish in the sea:rolleyes:

Barnowl 1950, so sorry to hear of DH heart attack but pleased he received the appropriate treatment in time. My advice is to contact the insurers to advise them of DH medical treatment. Without updating medical problems your insurance could invalidate. Fingers crossed all continues well with DH :)

lilys gran thanks for that, yes I will be speaking to them on Monday to keep them in the picture, and also to discuss the special insurance needed for Thomson package to Spain in August (giving grandchildren a treat, booked three months ago) also with insurance taken out with them at the same time.

Regarding what barn owl put about thinking the Ta's must know something about what's happening just wanted to say they def will not know I'm afraid.

I was a ta and worked in a First Choice / Thomson franchise. You never find out anything till the same morning as the main press release on these occasions.

They just can't tell staff and say keep it to yourself as quite a few would not.

Things are kept top secret and no matter how hard you try you can find out nothing. We worked on the same systems as the main Thomsons shops and had the same internal internet etc.

Really hope barnowl's hubby is on the mend. :)

barnowl - so sorry to hear about your DH but what a blessing he was able to get treatment so quickly - and effectively. My very best wishes to you both. :)

Thanks kruzseeker it's the usual "furred arteries" i'm afraid. Have been looking on here in between looking up low-fat recipes. It's completely knocked me for six as he's always on the go ...it really kicked in last night, couldn't sleep thinking it can't be happening... wondering about possible complications, and I scared myself thinking that if he had left the house just one minute later Thursday what the outcome would have been, and relief. Now it seems he's in better shape than before and it looks like he'll be home as early as tomorrow (and has been given orders to climb the stairs several times a day).

So sorry this is off topic everyone... think it must be me that's a wreak at the moment. Will get a grip very soon.

Wonder if something like this has happened to others and if they went ahead with cruising or not a few months later.

Thanks kruzseeker it's the usual "furred arteries" i'm afraid. Have been looking on here in between looking up low-fat recipes. It's completely knocked me for six as he's always on the go ...it really kicked in last night, couldn't sleep thinking it can't be happening... wondering about possible complications, and I scared myself thinking that if he had left the house just one minute later Thursday what the outcome would have been, and relief. Now it seems he's in better shape than before and it looks like he'll be home as early as tomorrow (and has been given orders to climb the stairs several times a day).

So sorry this is off topic everyone... think it must be me that's a wreak at the moment. Will get a grip very soon.

Wonder if something like this has happened to others and if they went ahead with cruising or not a few months later.

Don't worry about going off the topic you must be beside yourself with worry. Sending you both a big hug and my very best wishes x

Back to the topic.....I do hope Thomson will put an end to all this confusion soon!

Going off topic again as I just want to wish ur hubby all the very best , it must have a traumatic few days for u both . Hope he goes from strength to strength

Mrs.C

Do we think they'll be any IE info tomorrow? My bet is on Tuesday. Still being sold on the Thomson website so it doesn't look like they'll be pulled anytime soon.

Poss still selling it as they will just change ship and move people over onto that do you think ?

Poss still selling it as they will just change ship and move people over onto that do you think ?

I'm guessing so. Will probably pull them for a night, like they did with Destiny/Majesty and then try and start sorting out the cabin swaps. That is all of course if IE is definitely not sailing next year. Evidence would all say yes, but I suppose things could change.

Another day, and another with no more info from Thomson regarding IE. I am wondering if, now that they have sold IE at the end of the season, maybe there won't be any news now for a while as they might not have finalised a replacement yet. They only told everyone about Majesty two months before its sailing, so perhaps something will be similar again with IE. :confused:

lilys gran thanks for that, yes I will be speaking to them on Monday to keep them in the picture, and also to discuss the special insurance needed for Thomson package to Spain in August (giving grandchildren a treat, booked three months ago) also with insurance taken out with them at the same time.

Very sorry to hear about your husband, I'm sure you have other things to think about, but when you are looking at your travel insurance I found insureandgo where the cheapest for travel insurance for people with heart conditions. My husband had a heart bypass in January, and we found that as long as the latest medical procedure was more than 6 weeks ago it only cost an extra £10 to insure him because he had a heart problem. They don't charge any more for cruises either. Good wishes to you both

Very sorry to hear about your husband, I'm sure you have other things to think about, but when you are looking at your travel insurance I found insureandgo where the cheapest for travel insurance for people with heart conditions. My husband had a heart bypass in January, and we found that as long as the latest medical procedure was more than 6 weeks ago it only cost an extra £10 to insure him because he had a heart problem. They don't charge any more for cruises either. Good wishes to you both

Hi Mower Lady, Thanks for taking the time to help, we will definitely keep insureandgo in mind as it sounds very good from what you say. Can I just ask if your husband recovered well after the bypass with no complications at all?

Well its tuesday and escape is still on the Thomson site so prhaps the whole business is a figment of the imagination or wishful thinking.

On the other hand if the Island forum post is accurate maybe TUI have sold the Escape to Louis. In which case the exising crew will have been made redundant as Louis will provide their own crew and may well tender the old ferry back to thomson for next summer?

Archived