Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

6 of us are taking the Maiden voyage of the Noordam on Feb. 22. None of us have ever been to New York so we feel a bit lost. What airport do we fly in to? What is the name of the port we sail from? And finally, we are flying in the day before and haven't a clue where to stay any recommendation's? Thanks so much for all your help. Pandora 85345

Since you have never been to NYC before I would discuss the entire trip with my travel agent and let her give yoiu advice and make all the arrangements for you. You would be flying in to LaGuardia or Newark; it would depend on the flight arrangements she makes. As for hotel- there are a million choices, so I would let your TA give you the locations, cost, amenities of hotels, etc. from the Waldorf on down.

Have a great trip. Any chance you could go to NYC 2 or 3 days pre-cruise. It's a shame to be there just one night.

We have been to NYC several times, both for cruises and just for fun. We have used Newark, LaGuardia and JFK, but prefer LaGuardia because it is closer to where we stay. We like the Novetel in mid-town Manhattan. The first time we were there HAL was using the Sheraton but we did not care for it. Try to stay longer if you can. It's an exciting place to visit and one night is just not enough time. We always see as many Broadway shows as we can fit in when we visit and the Novetel is an easy walk to the theatre district.

We are having a week in New York in 5 weeks time - can't wait - before we go to Boston and board the Maasdam for our Transatlantic cruise.

We have read all the comments from Tripadvisor and have made our decision based on location, ambience, price, neighbourhood, etc. There are so many hotels to choose from and coming from another country, it is even harder to decide which one will suit us, not knowing how big the average hotel room is etc.

Here is the link to Tripadvisor which I think will help you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-New_York_City_New_York-Hotels.html

Jennie

We've always had good results using cruiseportlodging.com.

We had an excellent room last summer at the Omni Berkshire in Manhattan. It's not very far to the pier and the hotel concierge arranged for a van as we were sailing for 34 days and had a lot of luggage.

The hotel is in the center of everything and close to all the sights.

You'll see the Statue of Liberty on your way out of the harbor, best viewed from the Starboard side of the ship. Liberty Island is quite a walk from the center of manhattan, so unless you want to see it up close, you can concentrate on the downtown sites and see Lady Liberty from the ship.

If you're also returning to NY, the Statue will be on the portside entering the Hudson River.

How wonderful that you'll get to sail the new Noordam, Congratulations!

GN

We are staying 5 nights at the New York Marriott east side prior to the cruise. The hotel is 8 miles or a $35 cab ride from La Guardia Aiport. You can take the subway for $2 from the airport. The docks are located in mid-town Manhattan just west of the hotel.

Don't be shocked by the price of hotels.

Cheers

General Max

Don't be shocked by the price of hotels.

Cheers

General Max

Which is one of the many reasons I advised her to consult a TA. Look at the advice just on this thread, plus the Hotel board on CC, plus the myriad of travel sites.

Her head must be spinning with all this advice and nobody has a clue (nor probably does she) what her budget is going to allow her to do in NYC. This is exactly what the services of a TA are for. When she is more experienced with the NYC locale and goes back for a 2nd visit she will be better equipped to plan her own trip.

Right now she would have no idea what advice to take and what to ignore. I say this as a native New Yorker. ;)

For one night does it really matter, that much beyond it is convenient and clean and safe?

I hope the OP and others going will try to find the time to stay for a couple of days at a minimum. A trip to NYC is an amazing experience and you can justify a vacation just to visit NYC. IMHO

jc

We got a nice package deal including the Waldorf Astoria and good seats at a Broadway show (a short walk away) through the internet. I think there are a couple of outfits on the internet that offer them.

The Statue of Liberty will take up a whole morning or afternoon, but is absolutely amazing to see from both the outside and inside and worth the trip. You should book tours on the internet, as they fill up months in advance.

For one night does it really matter, that much beyond it is convenient and clean and safe?

I hope the OP and others going will try to find the time to stay for a couple of days at a minimum. A trip to NYC is an amazing experience and you can justify a vacation just to visit NYC. IMHO

jc

Of course is matters. Budget can play a big part in choosing the hotel.

And the budget needs to be rather large for those New York City hotels.

Cheers

General Max

Yes, one city that the cheapest hotel, would not be my first choice. Some of the nicer hotels are kind of rough. :D :p

jc

There are so many great boutique hotels and restaurants all over Manhattan and so many great things to see and do...

Just be aware that late February in Manhattan is going to be very cold - if you plan on making your visit to NYC for longer than an overnight, you'll probably want to work w/ your TA to put yourself in a central/midtown location so that you are within a short walk of some of the theatres for the shows that you'll want to see as well as the major sights to like the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, MOMA, etc.

For a unique NYC wintertime experience, you may want to try ice skating at Rockefeller Center, or even better at the larger less crowded Wollman Rink which is in Central Park very near the Plaza Hotel (which is closed for renovations)

Personally, I wouldn't do the Statue of Liberty or the Circle Ferry in Feb. It will be very cold and windy out on the water and you'll see Lady Liberty on your way out of NY Harbor on Noordam anyway.

Bring warm coats, pants and boots of course, but while on the streets of NYC you may want to dress better than you might at home. New Yorkers on the whole dress very well and you want to look street savvy instead of like a tourist (and therefore a target for thieves & pickpockets) If you're adventurous, try not bringing hats, gloves or scarves - it's kinda fun to buy new ones from the street vendors for cheap!

Before you leave, I'd suggest going to the bookstore and getting two things to read on the plane:

• A good laminated map of Manhattan which includes subway routes - you'll always be within a few blocks of the subway. The subway is relatively safe and easy to use as well as being far cheaper than taxis for getting around to dinner and shows.
  • A Zagat's NYC Restaurant guide - it's invaluable for helping you get ideas for finding great reasonably-priced eateries that the locals love

If you have more NYC questions, feel free to ask!:)

To all you New Yorkers,

We will be in New York in 5 weeks time and I was interested to read that you mentioned that one can do a tour of the Statue of Liberty. Can you please give me the website for the booking of this tour. That and Ellis Island are amongst our list of "must do's" whilst we are there for our 7 days.

Thanks for any information you can pass on. We can't wait to see this vibrant, big city! :)

Jennie

Try booking a Circle Line cruise that will take you around Manhattan including going close to the Statue of Liberty (I can't recall if they have a tour that goes out to the Statue and let's you get off on the island). For hotels, I'd recommend something right around Times Square and you'll be able to walk to many, many attractions. I've stayed in both the Marriott Marquis and the Crowne Plaza several times each and like them both - probably both in the $250 range per night, which for NY is not terrible.

I am in the process of researching for a couple of nights stay in NYC before this cruise too. :)

Still not sure if I'm going to fly in or take Amtrak.

:)

Being a train buff, I highly recommend the train trip from texas. Several choices but the run up to Chicago follows the big river to St. Louis great fun. Then you have a short layover in Chicago before taking the NYC train. Or you could go to New Orleans and pick up the old Southern run up the East Coast. The other route is less expensive as fewer people use it so Amtak has hammered the bedroom fare through the roof as they have for the Atlantic Caost routes.

I am staying a few days in NYC before embarking on the QE2 to LA in January. The Sheraton Russell Hotel on Park Ave South at 37th Street. is upscale at a mid range price of just $209.00 per night. Have booked in the opera and plan to catch a broadway play with tickets from the mid-town same day booth after having tea at the Pierre Hotel. Since the Plaza is closed, the Pierre is the best show in town for high tea.

tumeroll,

We are also booked into the Sheraton Russell for our 7 nights in July and are also going to a Broadway show. Unfortunately the Opera will not be on as it is the summer break.

Thanks bebopper for the info about the Circle Line cruise. We had intended to use this to see the two sights but thought there might have been a special tour instead.

Jennie

I am staying a few days in NYC before embarking on the QE2 to LA in January. The Sheraton Russell Hotel on Park Ave South at 37th Street. is upscale at a mid range price of just $209.00 per night. Have booked in the opera and plan to catch a broadway play with tickets from the mid-town same day booth after having tea at the Pierre Hotel. Since the Plaza is closed, the Pierre is the best show in town for high tea.

What opera did you book tickets for?

Circle Line will take you near Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, but when we go we prefer to take a cab down to Battery Park. From there you can get tickets for the ferry that will take you to both sites. Then you can get off the ferry and walk around at your leisure. I believe the charge was around $10 per person. Just ask your cab driver to point you toward the area where the tickets are sold. Maybe the New Yorkers on the board can fill in more details. We are from California and I'm working on memory from our last trip back there.

If you choose Wolman rink for skating, or are in the Central Park area, Serendipity 3 is a few blocks off (just like the movie).

Haven't been to Serendipity 3 in many years but if the owner is the same gentleman as was there long time ago, he is worth the visit. Total hoot.

singerbj,

Thanks for that information re the taxi to Battery Point and then catching the ferry as we definitely want to go to Ellis Island. We had read that one cannot now climb the Statue of Liberty.

Jennie

Where do you want to stay??

How much do you want to spend??

The other posting for tripadvisor.com gives a good review on hotels in the immediate area. (Thanks wandb!) Totally forgot about that site...

If you stay in the midtown area, it's good for convenience to the theatre district, and other area attractions.

Heading downtown, there are a few nice establishments that 'might' be less expensive, but you'll give up the convenience of being closer to Rockefeller Cn, Empire St Bldg, etc.

Hilton..Best Western..Marriott have locations both midtown, and downtown.

Even NJ, and the other outlying boroughs have something to offer. A little research will produce a bounty of choices.

If you have any questions, drop me a line.

:)

Archived