Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

I just got off the phone with the Rihga reservations and they just advised me that, as of August 15th (2005), the Prime 54 Restaurant is closed for rennovations. It will NOT REOPEN until September 2006. Therefore, any of us planning to stay at the Rihga will have service only from the Lounge menu AND only continental breakfast.:eek:

I just got off the phone with the Rihga reservations and they just advised me that, as of August 15th (2005), the Prime 54 Restaurant is closed for rennovations. It will NOT REOPEN until September 2006. Therefore, any of us planning to stay at the Rihga will have service only from the Lounge menu AND only continental breakfast.:eek:

Perhaps I should make reservations at 21?

;)

Hi All,

A suggestion for a new Hotel in NY. Some rates I checked under $200 a night, AAA , or AARP rate. Rate includes full buffet Breakfast, It is in Midtown, and very convinent to the Cruise Port,Times Square Area

It's a Hampton Inn, A hilton Brand.

Here is the Link---- http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=NYCMTHX

Diane G

You know I'm only bustin......

BTW ...

I suggested a good eatery on the Noordam rollcall.

It's a nice French bistro with great food. (You won't leave hungry ... kinda like having those great diner meals!)

Not sure if I'll be sailing that day, but would still love to partake in your crews sailaway feast. Since I live in the area, I'll be in and out of the city to join Greg on a few excursions we have planned.

But, if luck will shine on me, I'll book the cruise.

Til then, I'll be around regardless.

Not trying to 'pry myself' into crashing everyone's plans here.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

:)

You know I'm only bustin......

BTW ...

I suggested a good eatery on the Noordam rollcall.

It's a nice French bistro with great food. (You won't leave hungry ... kinda like having those great diner meals!)

Not sure if I'll be sailing that day, but would still love to partake in your crews sailaway feast. Since I live in the area, I'll be in and out of the city to join Greg on a few excursions we have planned.

But, if luck will shine on me, I'll book the cruise.

Til then, I'll be around regardless.

Not trying to 'pry myself' into crashing everyone's plans here.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

:)

Vic - I know...

;)

Feel free to crash all you want - just keep the icebergs, rogue waves and Donald Trump away from our ship! :D

• 3 weeks later...

calm seas, we aren't planning on eating at the Rihga Royal hotel while we stay there. from what I have read, there are a lot of restaurants and delis in the area.

Cheers

General Max

calm seas, we aren't planning on eating at the Rihga Royal hotel while we stay there. from what I have read, there are a lot of restaurants and delis in the area.

Cheers

General Max

General Max - I've been to DelFrisco's many times for business. They have a pre-fix at lunch that is reasonable but at dinner it can be very pricey. I wouldn't spend my own money there. If you are looking for a Steakhouse, I would recommend Smith and Wolensky's or Morton's (also on the East side, not far from Grand Central Station). If you are looking for a fun place for a group, you might want to try Carmines. It's red sauce Italian, but very reasonably priced and good for a group because you can share. They serve everything family style on huge platters and of, course, lots of red wine. If you are looking for Asian, there is always Chinatown (taxi ride) or IMHO the best Chinese on the East side of town, Chin Chin which is on E. 49th not far from Smith and Wolensky's. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time.

General Max, regarding your pick-pocket question I haven't seen or heard a lot of that but I am sure it happens. I wouldn't walk around with my wallet in an open tote bag, or leave my bag hanging on the back of a chair. Keep pant pockets buttoned and purses close (Mrs. Max) and you should be fine.

Has anyone been to Del Frisco's Steakhouse in New York City?

Cheers

General Max

General Max..... I have not eaten there, but was also considering it during the Feb. trip. I have been going through the "ZAGATSurvey: 2006 New York City Restaurants" and have found the information quite helpful. Del Frisco's does have a good rating from them, but also warns of the "king"-size tabs. There were also some other restaurants that I thought I wanted to visit, but after reading more "inside information" in the Survey, I will now postpone my visit to them:rolleyes:

Regarding pick-pockets..... This is a big city, so all the usual precautions that CateW mentions are certainly in order. Common "tourist-sense" is my rule of thumb for visiting this (or any tourist) destination:)

Thanks CateW and calm seas. We have gift cards from our children that we are planning to use at Del Frisco's. We have a Del Frisco's in Orlando and have eaten there several times. Yes it is easy to run up a $100 tab for two but the dining experience was excellent.

Cheers

General Max

What, General ... dancing? Doing the Hustle? ;)

Hey ... do you have any remarks regarding the negative review of the Westerdam elsewhere on this board? What was your experience on the Transatlantic regarding the food in the main dining room?

What bad reviews, Reverend Neal.? What threads are they on? Our transatlantic cruise was fantastic including the weather which HAL has no control over.

We ate in the main dining on 12 of the 15 nights and did not have any complaints about the quality of food served. We were early seating upper dining room which could be advantageous to food preparation but I would have my doubts about that.

Looking so forward to the Noordam.

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal, I found the thread with the less than favorable reviews. We certainly didn't experience any of the sewer odor smells on our cruise. Yes, the lobster tails were small but if you asked your waiter for enough of them, you wouldn't leave the table hungry and have to go up to the Lido restaurant.

Cheers

General Max

If I may make a suggestion

If you really want a nice steakhouse , I would have to say Sparks

Yessssssss its where Big Paul Castellano got whacked *LOL*

But seriously, It is a beautiful restaurant and the steaks are superb. I enjoyed it much better than Mortons, although Mortons wasn't bad either.

Archived