Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

Has anyone been to Sunday brunch at Tavern On The Green. I understand they are fairly expensive.

Cheers

General Max

General, FYI, here is a listing of the HOURS for the Saturday and Sunday Brunch at Tavern on The Green:

http://69.0.173.64/tg1003/newsite/directions.asp?headinfo=visitingtavern&subhead=directions

AND, for the price list:eek: (in PDF format)

http://69.0.173.64/tg1003/newsite/pdfs/Winter%20Brunch%20Menu06.pdf

Enjoy, Martha

Brian,

What can you tell me about the Milford Plaza Hotel? From what I've seen it looks like a pretty budget place. Given the price they've quoted, though, I'm tempted to switch.

Greg--

Here's their website:

http://www.milfordplaza.com/index.html

Yeah, its more budget-y and not super-glam...

...but if it means we can arrive in the City a day earlier and still come out ahead ;)

I think Scotty found it and got the price via Expedia

Brian,

What can you tell me about the Milford Plaza Hotel? From what I've seen it looks like a pretty budget place. Given the price they've quoted, though, I'm tempted to switch.

Hi Everyone...... We are comparing "apples to oranges" here. The Milford Plaza is a 2 1/2 star hotel and the Rihga is a 4 star. MP's basic rate on hotels dot com was the same as the Rihga ($199.00 for 2/19), while Expedia shows the discount. (There were no rooms available at the Rihga on either of these sites.) The Milford Plaza may be exactly what fits the needs for some in the group. However, for myself, New York City is one of those places where I choose to try not to take chances, and I just feel better staying with the Rihga.

We are going to remain at the Rihga Royal. I just checked their website and Royal Suites 1 Br. are still available for 2/19; 2/20 and 2/21 for $190, $190 and $256 respectively. These are AAA rates.

Also, Martha, thanks for the links to Tavern on the Green. We may go there on Sunday, the 19th for brunch.

Cheers

General Max

Right now I am also planning on staying with the Rihga Royal. I AM shopping around, seeing if I can find significantly lower rates at a hotel that doesn't have "scary reviews." I was looking at the Park Central Hotel and its reviews were horrible ... some were ok, but a great many were just awful. I've looked at some others, and while I've found many that looked great and had good reviews, the price was the same or higher than the Rihga. Hence, I'm staying with the Rihga. IF I find something worthwhile for a significantly lesser price, I may jump, but I've not had much luck in this search. The ONE thing I wish the Rihga had was in-room high speed internet access.

Oh, well ... we're now under one month and counting!

Rev Neal

We are on the Noordam March 4 departure. This is also our first trip to New York. So needless to say I have been following all the threads about the Inaugural trip and New York with great interest! I had the same struggle to find a hotel without scary reviews or scary prices. I liked what I saw at the Righa but unfortunately it was booked for our dates. So after two weeks of searching I booked the Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square North. While its not at pretty as the Righa, it's 5 blocks from Central Park, was completely renovated last summer, has high speed internet and a hot breakfast. The price quoted online is the same as what you are paying at the Righa, but they offer AAA discounts as well. Pretty much every review on Trip Advisor has been positive, amazing. :D

Here is the link

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=X2UBX4Y1MWHCACSGBIXMVCQKIYFCVUUC?ctyhocn=NYCMTHX

Trip Advisor link

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93457-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Manhattan_Times_Square_North-New_York_City_New_York.html

The price I'm booked at in the Rihga Royal averages out to $219 + tax per person for three days. In my shopping I've found a lot of hotels that will undercut that price by $30, $40, and even $50 ... but for a MUCH smaller room in a hotel that is rated 1 or 2 stars lower and with VERY mixed (mostly poor) reviews. That bothers me, greatly, and hence I'm not going to book that direction. I've found ONE hotel that looked good, had mixed but generally decent reviews, and charged about $180 per night. I NEARLY booked with them and cancelled my Rihga Royal booking, but changed my mind as my research continued to range across the broad swath of Hotels.

It turns out that a number of the 4 and 5 star hotels have dropped their prices for the period of my stay. When I did my original research (in June of 05) and decided on the Rihga, the Waldorf Astoria (not the "Waldorf Executive Towers," but just their main Hotel) was quoting $359.95 per person for a Deluxe King room. I considered that a ridiculous rate and didn't even consider it. Yes, the Waldorf has history, style, and charm. Yes, it's a 4 star hotel with VERY favorable reviews. IF I were staying 1 night, it would have been agreeable without thinking twice. But not for 3 nights. Not on MY budget.

Things change. Yesterday, when I was skimming past hotel price quotes, I noticed that the Waldorf Astoria has cut their rate for my three nights to $229 + tax. This caught my attention, so I went to their website and reviewed the rooms that have that price attached to them, the terms and conditioned, and discovered that their terms differ from the Rihga at all while also having many amenities that the Rihga doesn't offer (like high speed internet access). Yes, the room is smaller (it's not a suite for that price), but the trade off with the Rihga is that one gets a fully functional hotel with history and Victorian Charm. The Trip Advisor entries for the Waldorf are yet another mixed bag of reviews ... most are sterling, but a few just trash the hotel as being a dump. I suppose that's going to be true with most properties.

SO ... for $10 more pp/pn I can stay at the Waldorf, have none of the concerns present at the Rihga, and have history too. Hmmm ... decisions decisions. I'm going to make up my mind today about this. I'm leaning toward the Waldorf. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Things change. Yesterday, when I was skimming past hotel price quotes, I noticed that the Waldorf Astoria has cut their rate for my three nights to $229 + tax. This caught my attention, so I went to their website and reviewed the rooms that have that price attached to them, the terms and conditioned, and discovered that their terms differ from the Rihga at all while also having many amenities that the Rihga doesn't offer (like high speed internet access). Yes, the room is smaller (it's not a suite for that price), but the trade off with the Rihga is that one gets a fully functional hotel with history and Victorian Charm. The Trip Advisor entries for the Waldorf are yet another mixed bag of reviews ... most are sterling, but a few just trash the hotel as being a dump. I suppose that's going to be true with most properties.

revneal I'm not sure where the information about the Rihga not having internet access came from. However, I just got off of the phone with Rihga reservations.

My question was, "Do your rooms have internet access?"

Answer, "Yes"

Next question, "Is this high speed internet access?"

Answer, "Yes"

Next question, "Is this true for all the rooms?"

Answer, "Yes"

Next question, "What are the charges?"

Answer, "Unlimited access is $9.95 per 24 hour period."

The gentleman on duty was named Michael, and he had to look up the internet charges, so I am presuming that he knew what he was talking about?

Unless the Waldorf offers "free" internet, I am not sure this info. makes your decision any easier:confused:

Thanks!

The Rihga doesn't list Internet Access as one of their Amenities. :) It's good to know that they have this.

Does it help with my decision? I have no idea. My growing preference for the Waldorf has more to do with other factors, like general quality, than with details like Internet Access. I knew that they had Access there because it is listed in their list of Amenities on several websites and on their own website. As it currently stands I'm still booked at the Rihga and am only toying with switching to the Waldorf. Given that the Waldorf is $30 more for my 3 nights stay is a factor against it, but $30 is not much money. Given that the Waldorf will have dining facilities on-site, that it has an amazing track record as a top-notch 4-star hotel, and that it has "snob" value, speaks in its favor. The Rihga's large, all-suite character speaks in its favor, but their lack of a functioning restaurant (as of the beginning of January) hurts it.

I'll make up my mind here within the next couple of days. If nothing more pushes me toward the Waldorf, however, I'll probably end up staying with my booking at the Rihga.

I live here and I would stay at the Rhiga. The Waldorf is too large, too impersonal and not as good a location in today's day and age. You won't want to dine there either, so that is not a factor. The Rhiga is a great bargain for the suite and a great location. But you really can't go wrong with either. Depends on what you like. The Rhiga lobby can't compare to that of the Waldorf, but I wasn't staying in the lobby!!

You won't want to dine there either, so that is not a factor.

Why wouldn't I want to dine at the Waldorf in Bull and Bear or Peacock Alley?

The Rhiga is a great bargain for the suite and a great location. But you really can't go wrong with either. Depends on what you like.

I agree completely. I truly can't decide.

The Rhiga lobby can't compare to that of the Waldorf, but I wasn't staying in the lobby!!

LOL ... true.

Go Waldorf, Go Waldorf!

Rev-

Both the Bull & Bear & Peacock Alley are very good restaurants. They suffer in comparison because they are smack in the middle of twenty or thirty of the best restaurants on earth!

From Ducasse, to Le Perigord, to Jean George and Daniel, the Waldorf is within easy walking distance of the best of the best.

If I were, oh I don't know, say, a cleric from out of town, I might be tempted to revel in some of these epicurean delights ;-)

That being said, the Waldorf has the BEST bellstaff in NY, and Cole Porters Steinway Grand Piano in its' chic Cocktail Terrace......a pre dinner cocktail there is a must (they close at 8pm!).

Best of all, Stan and I are staying there! If you're going to the Mariners Brunch, we can share a van-cab to the ship on the 22nd!

:D

Best of all, Stan and I are staying there! If you're going to the Mariners Brunch, we can share a van-cab to the ship on the 22nd!

Sadly, I'm not invited to the Mariner's Brunch. I don't live in the area and haven't received an invite. And ... that's on the 21st, isn't it? The 22nd is the day we board for the cruise.

I'm still on the fence.

Reverend Neal. We booked the Rihga based on your recommendation and your input that your parents stayed there several years ago. We are sticking with it because we will be there 5 nights and most everything we want to do and see is relatively close (if the walking weatheris good).

You have a point about the hotel' s restaurants, however, we do not intend at eating at our hotel. Too many delis and philly cheesesteak places to visit.

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal. We booked the Rihga based on your recommendation and your input that your parents stayed there several years ago. We are sticking with it because we will be there 5 nights and most everything we want to do and see is relatively close (if the walking weatheris good).

Gee ... no pressure. :)

I'm still on the fence about changing. As of right now I'm sticking with the Rihga because, despite all the positive things to be had at the Waldorf -- and especially their lowered price -- I suspect I'll be more comfortable with the larger suite at the Rihga.

Sigh ... choices and decisions. GRRR. I have a church member who is thinking opening a restaurant named "Idon'tcare" or, perhaps, "Whateveryouwannas." :D

You have a point about the hotel' s restaurants, however, we do not intend at eating at our hotel. Too many delis and philly cheesesteak places to visit.

Cheers

General Max

General I couldn't have said it better myself:rolleyes:

Rev Greg & General Max-

Decided it was time to bite the bullet and get ourselves together about our precruise hotel. To that end, I walked over, at lunch today, to the Rihga,

Talked to the concierge (John) who, because the lobby was otherwise deserted, took me up to see a sample room.

I was very dissapointed.

Don't get me wrong, the rooms are lovely and spacious with beautiful furnishings and linens, but the hotel, itself seemed to be in flux.

Although the hotel is remaining open for business during the so called "London Makeover", there is a great deal of construction going on in that building.

I was advised that, in order to avoid the debris, noise and upset of the construction, one should insist(their words, not mine) on a suite below the 38th floor.

As General Max had advised us to ask for a room with a renovated bathroom, I inquired at the front desk if they had a room available, "below 38 with a new bath". They did not.

They also claimed, not to have any suites, available, with a view of the river (even if I was willing to accept a construction floor)

Stan and I, therefore, will be staying at the Waldorf Towers (as he predicted).

FYI: The feedback I'm getting from Hal is that the Mariners Brunch is on the 22nd. I believe that the Noordam is doing an overnight cruise to nowhere with a passenger load of travel agents on the 21st.

Rev- I'm going to see if I can hook you up for the brunch.

FYI: The feedback I'm getting from Hal is that the Mariners Brunch is on the 22nd. I believe that the Noordam is doing an overnight cruise to nowhere with a passenger load of travel agents on the 21st.

Rev- I'm going to see if I can hook you up for the brunch.

Won't be we busy boarding and attending the Naming Ceremony on the 22nd?

I was very dissapointed.

Don't get me wrong, the rooms are lovely and spacious with beautiful furnishings and linens, but the hotel, itself seemed to be in flux.

Although the hotel is remaining open for business during the so called "London Makeover", there is a great deal of construction going on in that building.

I was advised that, in order to avoid the debris, noise and upset of the construction, one should insist(their words, not mine) on a suite below the 38th floor.

As General Max had advised us to ask for a room with a renovated bathroom, I inquired at the front desk if they had a room available, "below 38 with a new bath". They did not.

They also claimed, not to have any suites, available, with a view of the river (even if I was willing to accept a construction floor)

That is MOST unfortunate to read. I've been afraid that the renovation work would spell serious problems for the Rihga during our stay there. This is a shame.

General I couldn't have said it better myself:rolleyes:

Indeed.

However, when we originally booked the Rihga -- when my parents last stayed there -- we were not aware of all this construction being done during the time of our projected stay. :)

If one has booked but not forked over money for the room one can always cancel and not lose anything.

I think I'm going to call the Rihga tomorrow and ask a few specific questions:

1. What is the status of the renovation?

2. Have they assigned a specific suite for my reservation?

a. If they have, what floor is it on?

b. If they have, what is the status of the bathroom?

3. Does the hotel still offer room service, even though the Restaurant is closed.

If they have not assigned a suite for me, I need to get them to and make sure that it's below the 38th floor. If I can't get any acceptable response from them regarding what room I will be assigned, and/or it looks like I'm going to be put on a floor where renovation mess and noise will bother me, I'm going to cancel my reservation and move to the Waldorf. IF the Rihga can satisfy my concerns, I will stay with them.

Archived