Maybe I'm the only one, but I doubt it....

macruisefan

I wonder as well. I never really cared to meet the Captain, CD or any of the senior staff. So I also wonder about those that make it a point to meet them or ask who the officers are before they even set foot on the ship.

Some posters mention that the officers' performance affects the cruise overall and I agree with that as well. But I don't think that was the OP's point. Would meeting them make them perform their job better? Would getting to know them make the vacation more relaxing?

Some people ask who the officers are in a particular sailing before they even cruise. I wonder what they do with that info. Would they cancel a cruise if an officer is not to their liking? I myself sometimes like to look at the list of senior officers, but I usually wait til I get on the ship.

OP here. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that the CD, Hotel Director and captain don't have important jobs. Of course they do. And I agree that how they perform as supervisory staff, is reflected in the performance of the staff under them. This is true with any organization. I was just saying that I don't care who they are, as long as they do their job.

I agree with the OP. I want my captain to be capable and safe. That is where my interest ends. I enjoyed the M'aitre d' on Millie, Sasha, but only in the sense that he was a wonderful, friendly personality who made a point of getting to know every guest in the dining room. My only interaction with the CD has been in his/her role as emcee in the theater for nightly shows. I have NEVER seen the CD anywhere else on the ship, but that may be because I don't join in shipboard group activities.

OP here. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that the CD, Hotel Director and captain don't have important jobs. Of course they do. And I agree that how they perform as supervisory staff, is reflected in the performance of the staff under them. This is true with any organization. I was just saying that I don't care who they are, as long as they do their job.

I agree...as long as the do their job well, it doesn't matter to me who they are :)

...where is the like button? Would be really handy on these forums!

Our last cruise was RCCI - met the captain at one of the "frequent pax" events -- he seemed like he knew what he was doing. Whew! :)

The few times I did encounter the CD he seemed either preoccupied or self-important; but the rest of the CD staff (the ones I did keep bumping into at the M&M, trivia, other activies) were all great -- friendly and accommodating.

I like the staff to be friendly/helpful and to do their jobs (whatever they may be) and beyond that have few expectations. I've never had a concern as to who the captain is, who the CD is, etc.

I agree. I've noticed a difference in the lunch buffet between the ships I've been on. I have to assume the Food and Beverage manager is responsible for that.

The Asian delights, my favorite station was TERRIBLE on the millennium.

As for the Captain, just don't crash into anything. Ours did on the Millennium ,fortunately it only delayed us 8 hours while they fixed the hull.

Archived