Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Dinner looked like fun. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. I am enjoying your wonderful updates but, had a bit of withdrawal without your Saturday updates to our thread today. It was missed.

Rhonda

I feel bad that I didn't get around to doing it yesterday :(

Have a great time on your B2B, thanks for taking us all along with you through your blog!

So nice to see all our friends from the Navigator last year too. I look forward to reading all your posts.

Enjoy!

Susan

Hey :D Lovely to 'see' you!!

Look who's in town all turned around and ready to go!!

IMG_0209.jpg

Good Morning Linda!!!

I'm loving your blog!!. Great pictures of the AOS and the Sheraton. Did you make it to their amazing pool? Its beautiful! I read that the Convention Center had a Beer/Rum/Food festival yesterday!! Sorry I didn't find out earlier to let you know!! Will be glued to your blog and happy cruising!! Looks like we are going to have a beautiful day today!!:)

Good Morning Linda!!!

I'm loving your blog!!. Great pictures of the AOS and the Sheraton. Did you make it to their amazing pool? Its beautiful! I read that the Convention Center had a Beer/Rum/Food festival yesterday!! Sorry I didn't find out earlier to let you know!! Will be glued to your blog and happy cruising!! Looks like we are going to have a beautiful day today!!:)

Hey :D

The Convention Centre itself had just dog show as far as I am aware.

The hotel I believe had the festival..... place was buzzing last night but I believe the cost of joining in was something in the region of $80!!! We passed.....

So happy you are doing this live blog for us. We are sailing in January and also staying at the Sheraton. I love that we will be able to see the ship in port if we are on the upper floors. We are doing the 2nd leg of your trip. Have only been to St. Thomas out of the islands we are sailing to. So excited to see some different islands.

So happy you are doing this live blog for us. We are sailing in January and also staying at the Sheraton. I love that we will be able to see the ship in port if we are on the upper floors. We are doing the 2nd leg of your trip. Have only been to St. Thomas out of the islands we are sailing to. So excited to see some different islands.

A young couple from our roll call came to the Sheraton Convention to check in only to be told they were registered for Sheraton Old San Juan. That's 2 lots of cab fares in one hit....

You are going to have a ball! We've sailed out of SJ many, many times and it is the best. You will especially love the B2B.....best way to cruise! Glad to hear that DeDe is on board. If you can .......please find out if she will be on board for the Christmas sailing....Dec.23rd. Will be following along to see how you are doing. Have fun!!!

A young couple from our roll call came to the Sheraton Convention to check in only to be told they were registered for Sheraton Old San Juan. That's 2 lots of cab fares in one hit....

Haha Linda!

Yes we are dubbed the double cab couple ;) cya on deck

-rochelle & Greg

If you’re reading this and have cruised RCCL before you will get that I have logged into their WiFi network and am up and running!! Well I made it on board!! Lol.

We left the hotel soon after 1030. Patty is super organized and I have learnt that putting myself in her hands is no bad thing.

We arrived at the port soon after. I was bemused by signs that read ‘No solicitors allowed’. I wish I had taken pics of them…. In the UK a solicitor is a term for a lawyer. And soliciting is a term used for ladies of the night who verbally offer their services……

I digress.

There is a line for baggage drop off already (pre 11am) but the line isn’t moving. Maybe 50 people ahead of us. More and more people join the line. 1130 the start to take bags from us; I have labels in a holder attached already; they have plenty of labels for those who haven’t. We then join a new line.

More and more people arrive and we are handed a piece of paper with regards to the Customs inspection and US Coastguard inspection. It is exactly the same letter I had received by email from my TA. We know we may have to wait. Around 12 the line starts to move forward; there is now a 2nd line and people from the roll call who joined that 2nd line actually made it into the check in area before us….. you will get that organisation was not good. Many of those before us in our line are held up by security as their papers were queried. I passed this check swiftly. Not so the physical screening as again I bleep going through the arch thingy and have a personal search which is very professionally handled. In my carryon baggage I had bottles of water and a Nike water bottle filled with water. Nothing was said. 1230.

Many chairs have been put out and we sit in one particular area as people we know are there. This proves to be fortuitous as when boarding happens we are in the first group to board. There is a shop but I didn’t investigate what was for sale. There were samples of Hug-a-colada to be had…..take the rum out of a Pina Colada and replace it with Jagermeister. Delicious. They have bottles for sale but only for collection at the end of the cruise.

Fortunately the professional photographers are still setting up so I am able to bypass them..... you remember Monica's hair from F.R.I.E.N.D.S when she goes to the Caribbean and her hair reacts to the humidity.... that's nothing on what my hair is doing right now....

By 145 we’re in Windjammer for lunch. As we’re almost the first ones there the whole area isn’t open but there is no problem whatsoever with seating. I did bad. I had Honey Stung Chicken. It’s a ritual right? Me very bad. My stomach pretty much immediately rebels but I was sooooo happy!!

Managed to stick to the GF diet for dessert with fruit and Crème Chantilly.

Pool bar. Unofficial M&M.

I am wearing the pink boa and am frequently recognised by other CC-ers. The Pool Bar doesn’t serve Pimm’s (Google it) but the barman sends me to the Solarium bar where they have an unopened bottle! I proceed to teach the barman there how to build the drink…. Not quite the right fruit and no mint but he did a good enough job. I took a couple back for Patty and Scott as they had never tried it. Reggae music is being played by an excellent band and I’m feeling very mellow. Quite a few CC-ers appear including a couple who had been on the previous cruise and will be doing both these cruises too!

I take a walk around to stretch my legs and then force a double Bailey’s down.

I head over to Guest Services to get the info regarding WiFi hotspots. While I am picking up a leaflet there is an English family bemoaning the fact that they had been told they could have WiFi in their Owner’s Suite and they don’t. They then continue to complain that Adventure isn’t as good/ nice as Indy….. I mutter something about AoS being an older ship but don’t want to get into how come they hadn’t done their research properly before booking….. I scuttle off to register for WiFi at the RCCL Online area.

I take a wander down to our corridor and sure enough there are bags outside Patty’s door. Mine is nowhere to be seen but I tell the crew not to worry as I’m sure it will turn up. I return to my room and within minutes there is a knock on the door and my suitcase is presented. Glad I had some dollar bills handy. I have to admit with all the talk on the boards about power strips I was quite prepared to be called to the naughty room. But no; my power strip is intact.

I fetch Patty from the Pool Bar where she is still ensconced with others from the roll call and we retire to our rooms to unpack. She presents me with an amazing magnetic notice board for my door along with various other small identifiers….. she is extraordinary.

While I start writing up this blog there is an announcement in five languages (English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, French) that Muster will take place in half an hour. I carry on typing. There is a knock on my door; it is Bruce my room steward to remind about the Muster. I said I will go when the klaxon sounds and not to worry. (He had introduced himself when I was unpacking and I got some of his troubled back story…. We’d had a conversation about the minibar contents and the possibility of a robe. I followed something I’d read here on CC and tipped him up front. We’ll see how the week or two go).

Muster is sounded 545pm. All is going swimmingly until we realise that people are still boarding (all aboard was 530pm) And not just dribs and drabs but many people are still boarding (had a flight been delayed?) In fact whilst muster is going on people are having their pre-boarding professional pictures taken. Very bizarre.

We’ve reserved dinner for MTD at 630pm. We head straight there after Muster to be met by a HUGE crowd. The doors didn’t open until around 640pm. By then the crowd awaiting entry was truly vast.

Dinner was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Our waiter (Eddie) and assistant (Margaret) did their very best to guide us through it and assist our choices. It was delicious. Pics to follow. I’ve taken pics of the menu too but have no idea how they will come out as I’m still working out how to get the best from this Point and Shoot camera with varying degrees of success. Briefly : I had smoked fish rillettes (yum), followed by prime rib which was cooked to perfection but too much for me to eat. The dessert menu comes separately and apparently will always have BBB (Baileys Banana Brulee) OMG. That’s all I have to say about that. There is no glass of wine package on offer. I opt for a glass of Pinot Noir Estancia. Not bad. I'm shown tomorrow's menu (formal night) and make my choice of GF (2 starters and an entree) But more about that tomorrow!! ;)

Patty and I go to the helipad for sailaway. We can’t make out the name of the RCCL Ship that is in port with us. There’s also a Seven Seas vessel tucked in there too. We are first out.

So now my camera battery needs charging which is happening right now so I’m unable to upload the pics I took today of food and ship interiors and people mingling. Catch up with those tomorrow, St Croix day. Going to find a hotspot to log in now. Catch y’all later.

:D :D :D

So excited Linda, I found your blog. Have loved reading so far and will share with my group going in April. Give a shout out to my darling daughter Kristian if you get a chance to catch a show. Hugs and happy cruiz'n from MI.

My family and I will be on the Adventure for our first cruise in March.

It will be my daughters 17th birthday and I cannot begin to tell you how excited she is.

We are on the edge of our seat waiting to hear everthing about your trip.

:)

Archived