USD on VOS??

bazzaw

I know that the currency used onboard VOS is USD - but is this also what they charge against your CC for onboard purchases?. We have often discussed the problem where some ships try to convert your onboard charges to AUD. Anybody had any problems in this regard with any of the RCCL ships in Australian waters??

Barry

Royal Caribbean charge your onboard account in USD. You can then select for either them to do the conversion to AUD and charge the card in AUD at their exchange rate, or for them to charge your card in USD and your bank to do the conversion at their own rate.

Royal Caribbean charge your onboard account in USD. You can then select for either them to do the conversion to AUD and charge the card in AUD at their exchange rate, or for them to charge your card in USD and your bank to do the conversion at their own rate.

Well, the second option there is the way to go -- but how do you .."You can then select ...."

Barry

Barry

When you print off your set sail pass/cruise ticket contract which you sign there is the tick box option at the bottom of the form

Thanks for that. We haven't received notification of our Set Sail pass being ready to print yet. I was wondering about that because some in our Roll Call already have theirs. We HAVE been allocated a Cabin Number ( even though we are only "guaranteed") - maybe that is the reason why we haven't received the pass yet?? Plenty of time yet anyway until end January.

Barry

Barry

If you go onto the website and to the online check-in it will be in there. You can complete most of the online checkin information required (passports numbers, emergency contacts, etc) but don't necessarily have to print the set sail pass. You can wait until your cabin allocation is finalised??? (sounds like you have already have your guarantee allocated?) or print it now, then reprint once think you have your final cabin allocation???....choice is yours :D

Barry

If you go onto the website and to the online check-in it will be in there. You can complete most of the online checkin information required (passports numbers, emergency contacts, etc) but don't necessarily have to print the set sail pass. You can wait until your cabin allocation is finalised??? (sounds like you have already have your guarantee allocated?) or print it now, then reprint once think you have your final cabin allocation???....choice is yours :D

Part 4 of the online checkin ( Set Sail Pass) says that they will email me when the pass is "ready to print" ?? Will have another look at it, just in case I am reading it wrong.:o NOPE - that's what it says.

Barry

Maybe it depends if you booked through a TA or direct with RCL :confused: Not sure about that Barry. I don't normal print mine off until the last minute :D It's not until January, so I wouldn't worry too much :) At least you know the booking is there!

Just be sure to check that they are sticking by your selection.

I work for a financial institution so of course wanted my bank to charge the conversion ( which is luckily 0 for me) but one cruise they still did the conversion and charged. I did manage to have this changed and my funds refunded but it took a week or two.

I work for a financial institution so of course wanted my bank to charge the conversion ( which is luckily 0 for me) but one cruise they still did the conversion and charged. I did manage to have this changed and my funds refunded but it took a week or two.

How would you know that had happened ? -- until after you get home and get your CC monthly bill??

Barry

How would you know that had happened ? -- until after you get home and get your CC monthly bill??

Barry

If its the same as Princess it will be on your final statement...

It will either say we carged $USxxxx to your cc

or Your charge of $USxxxx has been converted to your home currency and your cc is charged with $Auxxxx.

Part 4 of the online checkin ( Set Sail Pass) says that they will email me when the pass is "ready to print" ?? Will have another look at it, just in case I am reading it wrong.:o NOPE - that's what it says.

Barry

Ours said that, they will email when the pass is ready to print, but we never got an email. There are 2 sections, the bit where you put in your passport and all your personal details which is under Online Checkin and then there is Cruise Documentation. Under Crusie documentation, it will either say Status: Not issued, or Status: Issued. If it says Issued, click on it and you can download.

I think the pass is really only ready to print about 4 weeks before your cruise. But I am not 100% positive about that.

Barry

Barry we are on your cruise, & received the email about 2 weeks ago from RCL that it was all ready to print off. We booked through an agent & our final balance was due earlier on the 1st of Nov. Maybe thats why.

Ours said that, they will email when the pass is ready to print, but we never got an email. There are 2 sections, the bit where you put in your passport and all your personal details which is under Online Checkin and then there is Cruise Documentation. Under Crusie documentation, it will either say Status: Not issued, or Status: Issued. If it says Issued, click on it and you can download.

I think the pass is really only ready to print about 4 weeks before your cruise. But I am not 100% positive about that.

Yes - it says "Not issued". The online Checkin also says "in progress", even though all first 3 steps of the Online checking are checked.

Will keep an eye on it - the cruise is still a long way off. I think that what is happening is that they know of us and really want to upgrade us to a Suite, however they don't want to be accused of favoritism, so they are waiting until the last minute to give us the upgrade :D

Barry

Yes - it says "Not issued". The online Checkin also says "in progress", even though all first 3 steps of the Online checking are checked.

Will keep an eye on it - the cruise is still a long way off. I think that what is happening is that they know of us and really want to upgrade us to a Suite, however they don't want to be accused of favoritism, so they are waiting until the last minute to give us the upgrade :D

Barry

Also keep an eye out for those flying pigs as well Baz when you check in for your upgrade:D:D:D

Barry

Shh, you've worked out the secret!

This happened to us as well. When I realised after a couple of days onboard I went to the desk to sort it out but was told, the only way they could change it was if we had another CC. We just had to wear it.

This time I am taking USD cash, and the cc as a backup. Hopefully we won't have to use it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe it depends if you booked through a TA or direct with RCL :confused: Not sure about that Barry. I don't normal print mine off until the last minute :D It's not until January, so I wouldn't worry too much :) At least you know the booking is there!

As a TA I know that it doesn't make any difference whether you booked with a TA or direct with RCI, with regards to online check in or set sail passes.

Once you have all the information completed on the RCI online check in and your booking is fully paid, that is all you need it do.

You will be notified when your set sail passes are ready to print. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're getting close to the three weeks before departure time.

Barry

Once you get onboard and have, like Debsta said, chosen the option on the form for RCI to charge to your cc in USD, after a few days go to Guest Relations and ask for a print out of your room account.

As long as the total at the bottom says USD $xxx it will be charged in USD.

If you take US cash with you, there is nothing to stop you paying for the charges in cash and the letting RCI charge any remaining charges from the balance and last day on board to your nominated cc.

I highly recommend allowing your credit card provider to do the conversion as if you allow RCCL to do it they charge you a 3% service fee on top of what is a very ordinary conversion rate that is favourable to them.

Just recently got a 28 degrees card as it has no fees for currency conversion, overseas transactions and the exchange rate is actually competive.

Archived