Complaints about not receiving personal attention from cabin stewards

zanzibargirl

Generally I don't really care if I ever see my cabin steward as long as they do their job. However, we just got off the epic and we were very disappointed in our steward. Our cabin was not very clean when we got there and we did not see her for 2 days. We brought Clorox wipes and quickly cleaned the room ourselves. There was hairs on the vanity and in the sink and we just didn't want to unpack without it being clean. Our refrigerator was locked and we left a note for it be unlocked, I like a soda every once in a while. It was unlocked for one day and then locked again. Left another note, same thing happened again. Just gave up on that one. Some days the coffee pot was cleaned and some days it wasn't. Some days the bed was turned down and some days it wasn't. Our friends were in the cabin next to us and received the same kind of service. They have different last names and despite leaving a note for the beds to be put together it took 2 days for that to happen. Everytime they would use the handle to go out on The balcony the handle would come off, just needed a set screw but despite telling her several times it never got fixed. No, this did not ruin our cruise! We are very self sufficient but it was noticed that the level of service from our room steward was not the usual. Everything else about this cruise was one of the most enjoyable out of about 20 cruises on all cruise lines and I would love to go on the Epic again even if I had the same cabin steward again!

Generally I don't really care if I ever see my cabin steward as long as they do their job. However, we just got off the epic and we were very disappointed in our steward. Our cabin was not very clean when we got there and we did not see her for 2 days. We brought Clorox wipes and quickly cleaned the room ourselves. There was hairs on the vanity and in the sink and we just didn't want to unpack without it being clean. Our refrigerator was locked and we left a note for it be unlocked, I like a soda every once in a while. It was unlocked for one day and then locked again. Left another note, same thing happened again. Just gave up on that one. Some days the coffee pot was cleaned and some days it wasn't. Some days the bed was turned down and some days it wasn't. Our friends were in the cabin next to us and received the same kind of service. They have different last names and despite leaving a note for the beds to be put together it took 2 days for that to happen. Everytime they would use the handle to go out on The balcony the handle would come off, just needed a set screw but despite telling her several times it never got fixed. No, this did not ruin our cruise! We are very self sufficient but it was noticed that the level of service from our room steward was not the usual. Everything else about this cruise was one of the most enjoyable out of about 20 cruises on all cruise lines and I would love to go on the Epic again even if I had the same cabin steward again!

I probably would have called the guest services about the door. I don't think the stewards would be the ones to bring tools and make repairs. I also would not expect them to expedite it, just as I wouldn't a maid in a hotel to do so.

First of all some people think their room steward is their "buddY" or worse think they are a butler.

My philosophy is that a great steward is one you rarely see and magically appears when you are gone and does their job. If I meet them, fine, if not, good by me as well.

To reiterate, I think some people want to see them, get to be "buddies" while the majority do their job well and the one's that show up too much are just fishing for $$$'s. It's a business relationship, not a personal one. If you want a butler, buy a suite.

Agreed, but worse, many of those "demanding" guests are the ones that never leave anything, and their cabins look like a "shipwreck" every day...

We did not expect for her to fix it herself but to at least report it to the correct dept. We did see an officer following her into several of the cabins so we felt like some people had complained about her and he was helping her. Maybe she was new and just didn't know. I don't know. We would have never complained to management, that is just not our style. There were many other small things during the week like despite leaving the dirty towels in the basket provided we did not get clean towels. We just took some off the cart that was in the hallway. Again, it did not ruin our vacation, it was just not what we were used to. I really think that she was new and having a very bad week and quite frankly we were not going to make it worse.

Take some time on your next cruise, learn the Steward's name, and learn something about them as a person (remember: they have lives and don't simply exist as automatons to serve us). Create that personal relationship and watch how different the service you receive becomes.

Then you'll understand why.

This, x100! We're sending a birthday card to ours this week, that's how amazing she was. We learned about her, her family, asked how her birthday party was (it was cancelled the first time because of how busy the ship was).

We did not expect for her to fix it herself but to at least report it to the correct dept. We did see an officer following her into several of the cabins so we felt like some people had complained about her and he was helping her. Maybe she was new and just didn't know. I don't know. We would have never complained to management, that is just not our style. There were many other small things during the week like despite leaving the dirty towels in the basket provided we did not get clean towels. We just took some off the cart that was in the hallway. Again, it did not ruin our vacation, it was just not what we were used to. I really think that she was new and having a very bad week and quite frankly we were not going to make it worse.

Whether she was new, or simply wasn't doing her job. The reason these things happen is because people don't report it to management.

I see the above statement all the time from passengers who have issues with a crew member. But I don't understand. The hotel director has a box up at the front desk. What really is the difference anonymously writing a little note to the hotel director letting him know that the service from this steward is not up to standard and why or writing on an internet blog for the whole world to see.

Whether she was new, or simply wasn't doing her job. The reason these things happen is because people don't report it to management.

I see the above statement all the time from passengers who have issues with a crew member. But I don't understand. The hotel director has a box up at the front desk. What really is the difference anonymously writing a little note to the hotel director letting him know that the service from this steward is not up to standard and why or writing on an internet blog for the whole world to see.

Correct. And "reporting to management" does not mean yelling and screaming, or getting someone fired. If you ask te employee to do smething, especially more than once, you nee to escalate it. Take it to guest services. As a ormer housekeeping manager for a large hotel, we can't know everything unless people tell us. Then they write long complaining letters after the fact and expect money back, often over exaggerating the facts and "simmering" for months after their vacation

It takes more facial muscles to produce a frown than it does to make a smile :D. A simple smile and a "hello" will never ever ever hurt anyone, but will always bring a smile to another face.

Try it ...... it's contagious. I promise it won't hurt you.

cheers...the Ump...:D

It takes more facial muscles to produce a frown than it does to make a smile :D. A simple smile and a "hello" will never ever ever hurt anyone, but will always bring a smile to another face.

Try it ...... it's contagious. I promise it won't hurt you.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks alot , I just tried that and now my Temporomandibular joint is stuck.

Just great .....;)

People are different.

I assume that every time you meet someone, in a shop, a restaurant, a hotel etc. you ask about their name because they are people. I don't.

People are different and I think that's a good thing.

I actually do ask the names of people I meet in those places. In a very hurried and impersonal world, I think it's good to put a name to a face. I also leave a note for the housekeeper in the hotel with her name, a thank you and a tip. It's just common courtesy.

I've worked in hospitality, and I know that people behind the scenes appreciate when someone recognizes them as people and not servants. The only celebrity that treated our security people poorly was Diana Ross and they never forgot it. Christopher Reed was the total opposite and we never forgot him either. Se la vie.

However, sverigecruiser, you are absolutely correct that people are different. I always say as a metaphor "I'm glad we are not all in love with the same man." ;)

When we met the Captain & senior officers at our most recent CC Meet & Greet on the Gem, it was again mentioned that guests are encouraged to speak up to one of the staff or officers if there is a question, issues with services, etc. onboard while sailing - instead of posting afterward - and give them the chance to address it and get it right. We're given a nicely printed handout card of their ship extensions to use.

If the services is done satisfactory and/or crew member is not performing as expected, it is reasonable to try to resolve it by speaking to her/him first - perfect discretely without sounding the general alarm or attention of the entire deck. Or, try leaving a nice note inside the cabin & be reasonable on what to expect by when. Then, escalate it to the next higher up - way before going YouTube & viral about it.

Once upon a time, I recall NCl room stewards or stateroom attendants working in pairs, teams - one as an assistant to cleaning the cabins, I am not sure this is true these days as I believe they are assigning the block of cabins & doing it by themselves - doing more with less (it's happened in our place of work too)

When the plumbing for our Gem stateroom stopped flushing (along with the blocks of cabins served by the same lines) in our recent sailing - I don't blame our stateroom attendant for the sewer odor afterward, but I curse at whoever that was responsible for clogging it by flushing something down into it when it should've been disposed of differently.

Our last room steward was absolutely great! We were on the Jewel to Alaska, and before we even entered our room, he stopped us in the hall, introduced himself, and called us by name. I honestly don't know how he knew who we were!

He brought me a blanket when I mentioned that I enjoyed sitting on the balcony early in the morning watching the sunrise, made us towel animals every night, and kept our cabin spotless. Our next-door neighbor also mentioned to me one morning, as we were watching the sunrise, that he'd brought her hot chocolate packets when she mentioned she'd prefer them to the coffee in the room.

We've also had room stewards who weren't so friendly but kept the room clean. I prefer the interaction like we had with our last steward, but we usually tip them unless they clearly aren't doing their job. It doesn't make or break my cruise.

I do agree that it's very interesting to talk with them. Our last steward (whose name is escaping me at the moment) was from Bali, and had the cutest little 3 year-old boy that he enjoyed showing us pictures of and talking about. I can't even imagine having to be gone from my family for the length of their contracts.

Our last room steward was absolutely great! We were on the Jewel to Alaska, and before we even entered our room, he stopped us in the hall, introduced himself, and called us by name. I honestly don't know how he knew who we were!

He brought me a blanket when I mentioned that I enjoyed sitting on the balcony early in the morning watching the sunrise, made us towel animals every night, and kept our cabin spotless. Our next-door neighbor also mentioned to me one morning, as we were watching the sunrise, that he'd brought her hot chocolate packets when she mentioned she'd prefer them to the coffee in the room.

We've also had room stewards who weren't so friendly but kept the room clean. I prefer the interaction like we had with our last steward, but we usually tip them unless they clearly aren't doing their job. It doesn't make or break my cruise.

I do agree that it's very interesting to talk with them. Our last steward (whose name is escaping me at the moment) was from Bali, and had the cutest little 3 year-old boy that he enjoyed showing us pictures of and talking about. I can't even imagine having to be gone from my family for the length of their contracts.

I think the more personal moments with staff makes the trip more memorable. I will never forget our waiter on my first cruise. His name was Bing Bing, and he performed tricks at our table every evening. His service was amazing, and we were impressed that he remembered our likes and dislikes and catered to those. I can't remember the room steward's name, but remember his face like there's no tomorrow. He called us by name everyday and was able to give us tips on Nassau as it was our first time there (and first time out of the country for that matter). I have several other staff members from our cruises that I remember. All of this great service started with a simple introduction. They may have initiated it, and if not, hubby and I would strike up a conversation to learn more about those who would be helping us out for the duration of our trip. I don't doubt that they provided great service to other passengers, and my trip wouldn't have been ruined if I hadn't gotten to know the staff. It just made for a more memorable trip with all of the personalized service. Just my preference.

I did not think much about it when I first started cruising, but over the years I've come to have some understanding of what these crew members ( and their families at home ) go through. It's almost like being in the military with their months long absences. They work long and hard for their low wages and those extra tips we leave mean the world to them.

On our last cruise, we only had a chance to talk to our butler for a few minutes, but he told us about his 12 year old daughter who has aspirations for college someday and his wife who takes care of a small business they started while he is away. They are working hard and sacrificing to make a better life for themselves. He teared up when he told about his daughter asking when Daddy was going to able to stay home with her.

No, I don't have conversations like that with my hotel maid ( maybe we'd be better off if we did ), but she goes home to her family at the end of the day. Do what you are comfortable with, but I just think it makes a big difference to most of these people to know that we acknowledge what they do. I know it makes me a better person to hear their stories.

Having read tons of NCL ship reviews on this forum, I just don’t get the complaints about cabin stewards not introducing themselves right away. Really? Considering the average per day cost of an NCL cruise can be as low as $100 or less – including lodging, food, entertainment etc…this is still less than a land-based Days Inn or Super 8 hotel! I don’t know about you guys, but I sure wouldn’t expect my room attendant at one of these hotels to introduce himself or herself– let alone refresh ice buckets twice a day, and be at my beck and call for every little whim! Hey as long as my room is clean and tidy, I feel I am getting what I paid for. Yes, any personal introduction is nice, but not a must – let alone a major issue to rant and rave about! J

For some reason it always makes me feel better when they call me by name but it is not necessary. If they do a great job i still leave an extra tip. However, i was once on the Pearl for 26 days straight and did find it unusual that the steward never learned our names!

Having read tons of NCL ship reviews on this forum, I just don’t get the complaints about cabin stewards not introducing themselves right away. Really? Considering the average per day cost of an NCL cruise can be as low as $100 or less – including lodging, food, entertainment etc…this is still less than a land-based Days Inn or Super 8 hotel! I don’t know about you guys, but I sure wouldn’t expect my room attendant at one of these hotels to introduce himself or herself– let alone refresh ice buckets twice a day, and be at my beck and call for every little whim! Hey as long as my room is clean and tidy, I feel I am getting what I paid for. Yes, any personal introduction is nice, but not a must – let alone a major issue to rant and rave about! J

Absolutely! A rant about not getting an introduction quickly enough is one of the most idiotic complaints I have read about. Good Grief! :(

I have to say that we were on the Jewel on 11/25 and our cabin steward ( Rosita) was great. She introduced herself to us when we arrived and always called us by name when she saw us. She would make it a point to stop what she was doing to ask how our day was and to remind us of shows for that evening.

Although some people do not find it important, I like when they do it and make me feel comfortable.

Both of our cruises this year we kept an eye out for the steward and have small talk to break the ice during the first day. On the Dawn Renato was great, and on the Gem Rosairo was Fantastic. We always leave them little notes, and a few extra dollars a day and try to have a fun relationship with them during our time to let them know we truly appreciate all their hard work!

I have to say that we were on the Jewel on 11/25 and our cabin steward ( Rosita) was great. She introduced herself to us when we arrived and always called us by name when she saw us. She would make it a point to stop what she was doing to ask how our day was and to remind us of shows for that evening.

Although some people do not find it important, I like when they do it and make me feel comfortable.

The problem is that everytime she "stop what she was doing" she had to rush things after the small break. Is that good or bad?

Archived