What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Gum. I have to have it on the plane and I like to have it on the ship and it costs twice as much in the shop on board the ship.

Small, flat air freshener that hangs from the rear mirror in the car. Takes up no space in the luggage and will help keep the bathroom smelling fresh. Don't unseal it before packing it.

Downey Wrinkle Release (travel size). It's amazing at getting out the wrinkles.

Zip Lock bags in all sizes have a million uses, from a damp swimsuit to your jewelry to shoes and complete outfits. Great for packing your clothes and great to have when leaving the ship. The 2-1/2 Gal are great to put your photos in to keep them from getting soiled in the luggage, and for your shoes.

Travel size of gel caps of cold meds and advil, tylenol, pepto, benedryl, (always the pills, not liquid) etc. Nothing is worse than a cold, headache or stomach ache late at night when the ship is moving and the shops are closed.

Nail clips/nail file. Nail clip will open the plastic cable ties or take care of a hangnail.

Antiseptic wipes for when you get to the cabin (remote, counters, etc).

Foldable cube. Folds flat and weighs nothing because it's cheap cardboard, but unfolded it will hold the hair dryer, brushes, flat iron, make-up bag, deodorant...everything you need to grab and carry to the bathroom. All organized and easy. You can get them for $1 at the Dollar Tree.

A flashlight if you are in an inside cabin with no widows..... Going to the bathroom could be hazardous in the dark if you don't want to wake up your roommate turning the light on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know what works better than a flash light? Battery powered tea lights. They're cheap and 2 lasted the whole week of being on all week. They also cast a nice lights that won't wake you all the way up. Just turn them on and leave the door cracked.

a shower curtain, to use to close off the open closest area on some ships, which is near the cabin hallway door. This way our personal belongings are not exposed if the cabin steward leaves door open while cleaning.

We also bring air freshner spray for the bathroom.

You know what works better than a flash light? Battery powered tea lights. They're cheap and 2 lasted the whole week of being on all week. They also cast a nice lights that won't wake you all the way up. Just turn them on and leave the door cracked.

Great idea! Creates a better mood too...whereas a flashlight makes me feel like I'm camping! LOL.

I think Bed Bath and Beyond sells night lights with freshener in them....or so I read in an older post.

Forget the sprays, get a cardboard little tree air freshener. Something tropical like coconut!

That's a really good idea! Thanks :)

Happy Cruising!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We use the cardboard little flat air fresheners. They come sealed with 3 different fragrances for $1 at the Dollar Tree Stores (auto section). They also have the touch lights that use batteries. We don't attach them to anything. We just put it on the counter (points at the ceiling) and it lets enough light from under the door to reach the bathroom if you don't leave a trail of things in the floor in the cabin.

a shower curtain, to use to close off the open closest area on some ships, which is near the cabin hallway door. This way our personal belongings are not exposed if the cabin steward leaves door open while cleaning.

We also bring air freshner spray for the bathroom.

You don't seriously do this do you?

We use packing folders and cubes like the Eagle Creek ones, so the best thing for us is a piece of cardboard (cut from a cereal packet) which fits the folders etc and can be used as a template when folding clothes so they fit exactly into the folder/cube.

Sandy in Spain

Where do you get those little clips that people use to hold their towel on the chaise lounge? I looked all over the ship and did not find where to get them. Sure would like a couple of sets before our next cruise!:)

Where do you get those little clips that people use to hold their towel on the chaise lounge? I looked all over the ship and did not find where to get them. Sure would like a couple of sets before our next cruise!:)

If they're anything like what I've seen in photos elsewhere I'd get them from my local Gold Coin store - probably equivalent of a Dollar Tree or something (don't have them in New Zealand)

• 11 months later...

One bunch of things I took that were appreciated:

I printed a bunch of nautical themed printables like colouring sheets, word searches, dot-to-dots, things to colour & cut out etc, took a tin of colouring pencils, some large magnets and bulldog clips and every morning put a few more sheets on the wall OUTSIDE our room with a note that anyone who wanted something to do could use them, but please return the tin of pencils.

We were about half way down a dead-end corridor so I thought we wouldn't get much through-traffic. BUT there was a little girl with her parents, grandparents & aunt & uncle. Very shy. Her mum and her grandmother both thanked me for puttting the things out.

She'd come along each day to see what was there, then if the adults weren't heading out with her she'd borrow the pencil tin and take a sheet or two "home" to do.

I DID say to one of her adults at the beginning that she was welcome to use the stuff.

The staff were fine with it all. I think they were happy that the wee kiddy had something to do instead of getting bored and running up and down the corridor ;)

Link for the various free printables I used: http://www.savetzpublishing.com/

Scroll down the page and you'll find lots of subsites that Kevin creates with all sorts of downloadable printables, just look for coloring sheets & pages, word search, crosswords etc

The big clips (like clothes pins) used to hold your towel on the chaise can be purchased in a package of 6 at the Dollar Store. I use a couple of them on the balcony. When I wash out my swimsuit, I clip it to the back of the chair on the balcony to dry. Holds more secure than the small clothespins and it fits better over on the chairs. They're just plain (mine are white and blue). The first ones I bought were the cutsey ones that had a flamingo on them and they were about $6 for two of them. I broke one of them on day one. The ones from the dollar store have been going with us on cruises for the past 3 years without breaking and I've used them at home too. If you are going to the ruins in Europe, Mexico or to the beach, I also bought the cooling towels at the dollar store. I have a couple that I bought on Amazon. They are larger, but more expensive. I don't feel bad about tossing them in the trash afterwards at $1 and I brought them for everyone. They REALLY work well. This time, because we are driving to the port, I bought a couple of the blow-up tubes that you can float in for Labadee. They don't really take up that much room in the package, but ruins my "light packing" rule. We had a couple of these last summer at a resort in Florida and loved it.

Like's not long enough so agree.

Same here. We carry a few things for convenience like clothespins and cardboard air fresheners, a sandwich-sized zip-lock with sample packs of over-the counter meds, but if it won't fit in a shoe or the extreme corner of a piece of luggage, it's staying home. I'm cringed when I've seen people carrying their pillows from home, egg-crates for the bed, kites, portable fans, coffee-makers, shower curtain to put across the closet when it's open (?), their sheets from home, one couple that carry a table that unfolds with chairs for their balcony, etc., etc., etc on these boards. I'm expecting to see someone suggest a portable grill, their George Foreman, fishing gear for the balcony, water dispensers, juicers, blenders, or some other contraption they can't live without for 7 days. We actually saw someone carry a retro-type hair-dryer that has a hard plastic hood like they use in beauty salons on board at check in area on a cruise. My daughters thought it was a fruit dehydrater...lol. I don't want to haul it, pack it or unpack it if I can get away with it. I even use the Wash 'n Fold on every cruise so that I have to pack and unpack less underwear, socks, t-shirts and shorts. Best money spent on the cruise.

A onesie

Perfect for wandering around the cold air con ship and dries quickly as a cover up....also great if you roll out of bed at 2am and want to go up to Lido for a drink and pizza.

People find it wierd folk wander in their robes so a Onsie is the answer.